Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any possibility of a festival on German films during 1933?1945

TCM has held festivals of practically all genres of films, but is there any chance it would hold one for films made in the Nazi era? I see other networks frequently showing Nazi-related documentaries, so I don't see why TCM shouldn't go there. I know the concern that many films from that era promoted bigotry, but not all did. And they could always have a discussion after the film to educate the viewers.

Suggestions below, and these are readily available on DVD anyway:

Olympia

Triumph of the Will

Munchausen

Titanic

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse

> {quote:title=atcmviewer wrote:}{quote}

>

> Suggestions below, and these are readily available on DVD anyway:

> Olympia

> Triumph of the Will

> Munchausen

> Titanic

> The Testament of Dr. Mabuse

These have all aired on TCM in the past. But not very often.

Titanic is a hoot. The boat is filled up with Nazis rather than British passengers (or, it sounds like it). This film is very unusual. It was made as an anti-British propaganda film, and it looks very much like the 1958 Titanic movie, but all the actors are Germans, speaking German, and they are very harsh and gruff with each other, sounding like Nazis.

When Goebbels realized that this film turned out to be a metaphor for ?the sinking of the Third Reich?, he had it banned in Germany.

Mabuse I can't figure out.

I've been meaning to check out "The Testament of Dr. Mabuse" because the synopsis on the Criterion DVD sounds very intriguing:

"The Testament of Dr. Mabuse reunites the director with the character that had effectively launched his career. Lang put slogans and ideas expounded by the Nazis into the mouth of a madman, warning his audience of an imminent menace, which was soon to become a reality. Nazi Minister of Information Joseph Goebbels saw the film as an instruction manual for terrorist action against the government and banned it for 'endangering public order and security.' A landmark of mystery and suspense for countless espionage and noir thrillers to come, this is the complete, uncut original director?s version in a stunning new transfer."

There is a very interesting 1938 German Ingrid Bergman film I would love to see. It?s titled ?Die vier Gesellen?, and it?s about four girls who are just starting out in the business and art world in Berlin.

YouTube has a few minutes of the film, and judging by what we can see in those clips, Berlin in 1938 is a typical ?modern? city, with no hint of any political stuff going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLIEjOW3YCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13P5T013F5Y