Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Girl Most Likely

mtpenny76

I have put a suggestion in to see this movie with Jane Powell. It has been years since I have seen it on TCM. Has anyone else seen it recently on here? I sure hope I haven't missed it. I remember it being very funny! I really want my dad to watch it, as he doesn't believe he has ever seen it.

I'm fairly certain that it has aired, but not in about two years. I had it on one afternoon and my son walked in. I pointed out Cliff Robertson and said "that's Uncle Ben of SPIDERMAN some 50 years ago."

It's not a bad film at all. but it was one of RKO's last (if not the last) and like BUNDLE OF JOY, it was a musical remake of an earlier Ginger Rogers film. It ended up being released by Universal rather than RKO.

A very underrated musical which got lost in the shuffle with the closure of RKO. Universal did little to promote the film. Its been on TCM several times. The colors look quite soft on the print that runs on TV. Supposedly the film was shot in RKOScope, RKO's answer to CinemaScope although the print shown on TCM is always in the wrong format. Both RKO films BUNDLE OF JOY and SUSAN SLEPT HERE were recently released in that format (16x9) on DVD, although TCM runs them in the flat format, and I am hoping GIRL MOST LIKELY will be released in the widescreen format soon.

Incidently, another RKO film UNDERWATER was shot in SuperScope, yet TCM is still showing the flat version.

Spot Kaye Ballard in the cast? Actually, she had a very good supporting part as Jane Powell's gal pal, so if you didn't "spot her" you didn't see the movie. I saw this musical on TCM a few years ago, and hope they repeat it soon. Much better than I thought it would be. After it was released, Kaye was promoting it on talk shows and joking that this movie had closed down RKO, since it was the last film produced there. Jane Powell said it was really wierd because they were the only crew on the lot so it was like a ghost town. Leonard Maltin gives it 3 stars out of 4, if you're a fan of his.

Originally the Kaye Ballard role was to star Carol Channing. However, Mitchell Leisen turned her down when she would only do it with certain script improvements. According to Leisen, these "improvements" were on the level of a gag having Channing fall down an open manhole.