Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

mystery/film noir? a man's search to find the true murderer

luvbwmovies

Seeing this movie only once, all I can remember about it was man who is searching for the true murderer (I think he himself was a suspect?). In his search, he comes to an abandoned summer resort/hotel where all the people who had stayed there knew each other. There was a big secret among those former guests, and he works to find out what the secret was. He also has to do a lot of 'footwork', searching in a big city, too. It may have been NYC or Chicago...

I saw this BW movie once on TV. It may have been made between 1930's-1950's.

I would appreciate anyone who can help with MY search to be able to track this down! Thanks!

> {quote:title=luvbwmovies wrote:}{quote}

> In his search, he comes to an abandoned summer resort/hotel where all the people who had stayed there knew each other. There was a big secret among those former guests, and he works to find out what the secret was.

If the hotel is abandoned, how does he know all the people who stayed there knew each other?

Who does he interview to try to find out what the secret was?

Does he meet the actual people or not? Do they return to the hotel? How does he know about them if the hotel is ?abandoned??

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I really appreciate your help. Hopefully, I will track it down. The movies you suggested seem enjoyable too, even if they might not be what I'm looking for.

Good Questions, Fred C Dobbs!

I think he had to find who had been on the hotel roster of the abandoned resort. It was overgrown and he went there to look for clues. Somehow, he had a list of the people who had been there. He was trying to track down those people to help him to find clues.

I enjoyed the movie very much, but never found out what the name of the movie was. (We didn't have 'searches' back then, unfortunately.)

Edited by: luvbwmovies on Jan 6, 2011 6:25 PM

Edited by: luvbwmovies on Jan 6, 2011 6:27 PM

> {quote:title=luvbwmovies wrote:}{quote}

> I think he had to find who had been on the hotel roster of the abandoned resort. It was overgrown and he went there to look for clues. Somehow, he had a list of the people who had been there. He was trying to track down those people to help him to find clues.

Ok, that might help. I thought you first meant the Summer resort was deserted in the Winter, but now I see you mean that the resort was totally abandoned for years and overgrown. This sounds like maybe a jungle resort? Or maybe a resort that had been abandoned in some American forest? Could it have been a Western ghost town? Or a big old abandoned house on some island?

Sounds like an interesting movie.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Seeing this movie only once, all I can remember about it was man who is searching for the true murderer (I think he himself was a suspect?). In his search, he comes to an abandoned summer resort/hotel where all the people who had stayed there knew each other. There was a big secret among those former guests, and he works to find out what the secret was. He also has to do a lot of 'footwork', searching in a big city, too. It may have been NYC or Chicago...

I saw this BW movie once on TV. It may have been made between 1930's-1950's.

I would appreciate anyone who can help with MY search to be able to track this down! Thanks!

The Wrong Man has these scenes in it..

" After the Confortis manage to raise the money for Manny's bail, Rose calls lawyer Frank D. O'Connor, who has been recommended to Manny's mother. Although O'Connor warns that he has little experience with criminal cases, he takes the case, and urges Manny to recall where he was on the dates of the alleged robberies. On the date of the first robbery, the Balestreros recall that they were on vacation at a resort in Cornwall, New York, and at the time in question, Manny was playing cards with three other vacationers. Rose and Manny try to track down the three men, whose names they get from the resort owners, but one, a boxer, is never found and the two other men have died. Manny remembers that at the time of the second robbery he was suffering from a toothache, and his dentist confirms that his jaw was so swollen ..."

Hey, this is fun.

:)

The Wrong Man has these scenes in it..

" After the Confortis manage to raise the money for Manny's bail, Rose calls lawyer Frank D. O'Connor, who has been recommended to Manny's mother. Although O'Connor warns that he has little experience with criminal cases, he takes the case, and urges Manny to recall where he was on the dates of the alleged robberies. On the date of the first robbery, the Balestreros recall that they were on vacation at a resort in Cornwall, New York, and at the time in question, Manny was playing cards with three other vacationers. Rose and Manny try to track down the three men, whose names they get from the resort owners, but one, a boxer, is never found and the two other men have died. Manny remembers that at the time of the second robbery he was suffering from a toothache, and his dentist confirms that his jaw was so swollen ..."

Hey, this is fun.

Now the 3 movies listed have a hotel\resort but were any of these an abandoned one?     The one in Kansas City Confidential isn't (since the characters in the movie staying there).    What about The Wrong Man?     So yea, Manny and Rose go to a resort as you noted but was it abandoned?   It wasn't when they were there on vacation.

Of course maybe the OP was mistaken.    

Now the 3 movies listed have a hotel\resort but were any of these an abandoned one?     The one in Kansas City Confidential isn't (since the characters in the movie staying there).    What about The Wrong Man?     So yea, Manny and Rose go to a resort as you noted but was it abandoned?   It wasn't when they were there on vacation.

Of course maybe the OP was mistaken.    

Manny & Rose's vacation resort may not have been abandoned, but all the people they associated with at the time of their vacation stay were no longer around when they returned some time later looking for witnesses to verify Manny's alibi. The place may have been closed for the season.

I also believe there was a stairwell scene where Rose 'snapped' because they were told the boxer they were trying to locate had died - a loss of hope. 

Well.. this fits better than Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

How about:

AND THEN THERE WERE NONE (1945)

A large abandoned house/inn on an island

Several guests were invited to stay there for a weekend

They all had some connection, something in common, and each had a big secret

Each was murdered one by one, and the hero was suspected of being the killer

Manny & Rose's vacation resort may not have been abandoned, but all the people they associated with at the time of their vacation stay were no longer around when they returned some time later looking for witnesses to verify Manny's alibi. The place may have been closed for the season.

I also believe there was a stairwell scene where Rose 'snapped' because they were told the boxer they were trying to locate had died - a loss of hope. 

Well.. this fits better than Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

The resort, if I remember correctly, was seasonal, and was closed at the time the couple went to verify the alibi.  This may be what the OP remembered as being abandoned.

• Like 1

The resort, if I remember correctly, was seasonal, and was closed at the time the couple went to verify the alibi.  This may be what the OP remembered as being abandoned.

Kid and you could be correct and I was taking "abandoned" too literally. 

This reminds me of my honeymoon in the Italian Alps.   We book a hotel room in October.    We get there late and check in.  There are lot of busses and cars in the lot, as one would expect.  Well the next day we wake up (late, hey we were on our honeymoon!),   and the place was empty.    We go down and find the owner and he says the place is closed for the season (it wasn't near any ski resort so it was only a summer hotel).     The owner admits his staff messed up booking the reservations and says we can stay there.     The hotel was fairly large (say 50 rooms) and we felt like we were in the movie The Shinning.  

There was no staff so the owner invited us to dine with his family (they lived their during the off-season).  e.g. he said we could drink what we wished from the bar and just leave a note about what we had used etc...   

This was the end of our trip and it ended up great.   

• Like 1