Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

William Penn Adair "Will" Rogers - Real Cowboy

MissGoddess

I didn't think you'd like it!

You think I'm gonna hate everything!

He's helped keep a family together that he feels he cannot be a part of. It's so sad.

But that's beautiful! Very much like The Searchers.

I really like the way the film presents such a character. Jubilo is a little like "Bim" as well as the Little Tramp. The movies in the thirties sure had a lot more to say for "the little guy", and all in different, unique ways. Ford's "everymen" were often character actors, Will was the universally beloved Everyman, and Capra's were movie stars, but they all spoke up for the harsh way society treated them.

Bim and Jubilo make for wonderful heroes. They are humanity at its core. Most do not value this in society. They value most everything else.

That beating Jubilo takes, I have to admit I was pretty shocked at the savagery of it when I first saw the movie

That was rather shocking. I certainly wasn't expecting it.

I agree. Will is still connected to his dead wife, but he's not at peace with the past.

Nor should he be. It's amazing he loved her despite her running off. But some of us guys just kill ourselves.

Oh dear, the way you make it sound is so pitiful. What did George Bailey's brother say? No one is a failure who has friends?

But that's what Jubilo is basically saying! Without the failures, the successful folks can't parade around feeling good about themselves.

>

> You think I'm gonna hate everything!

>

you hate what I love and vice versa. that's the natural order of things. stop upsetting the apple cart! :D

>

> Bim and Jubilo make for wonderful heroes. They are humanity at its core. Most do not value this in society. They value most everything else.

>

I like that these are "riff raff" but the movies force you to consider them as individual human beings, and find their value in who they are. Who are they? Aren't they like anyone else, stipped down? Who'd you rather be floating down the river (street) with, Jubilo? Or J-Lo? :P

> That beating Jubilo takes, I have to admit I was pretty shocked at the savagery of it when I first saw the movie

>

> That was rather shocking. I certainly wasn't expecting it.

>

Not from a Will Rogers movie, that's for sure.

>

> Nor should he be. It's amazing he loved her despite her running off. But some of us guys just kill ourselves.

>

I like that he ends up liking and respecting the man, but most of all, I like that the man readily saw Jubilo's worth. And he was a judge.

> But that's what Jubilo is basically saying! Without the failures, the successful folks can't parade around feeling good about themselves.

:D You put it, ah, differently.

NOT TOO BUSY TO SPOIL!

you hate what I love and vice versa. that's the natural order of things. stop upsetting the apple cart! :D

I can't help it if you sometimes show good taste!

I like that these are "riff raff" but the movies force you to consider them as individual human beings, and find their value in who they are. Who are they? Aren't they like anyone else, stipped down? Who'd you rather be floating down the river (street) with, Jubilo? Or J-Lo? :P

J-Lo! J-Lo!

Not from a Will Rogers movie, that's for sure.

It's rare to see him gunning down folks, too!

I like that he ends up liking and respecting the man, but most of all, I like that the man readily saw Jubilo's worth. And he was a judge.

Nicely said. He chose his daughter over himself and he did so at the price of his own happiness. That's truly sacrifice. Very much... "Doniphon." It takes a big man to know he's not good enough.

:D You put it, ah, differently.

I did not! I just repeated it! Who do you think makes up the parade and who do you think applauds?!

TOO BUSY WORKING ON SPOILERS

> I like that these are "riff raff" but the movies force you to consider them as individual human beings, and find their value in who they are. Who are they? Aren't they like anyone else, stipped down? Who'd you rather be floating down the river (street) with, Jubilo? Or J-Lo? :P

>

> J-Lo! J-Lo!

>

I admit she'd probably float more. :P

> Not from a Will Rogers movie, that's for sure.

>

> It's rare to see him gunning down folks, too!

>

Tell me about it. That was a stretch. I picture him not even knowing how to shoot a gun. I can see him roping him, rather. :D

>

> Nicely said. He chose his daughter over himself and he did so at the price of his own happiness. That's truly sacrifice. Very much... "Doniphon." It takes a big man to know he's not good enough.

>

It broke my heart. I know it could be no other way, but it's just awful to think how he would end up, with no one to care for him. Like Tom (Doniphon), Ethan (Edwards), Tom (Joad)...

Ha! I was just thinking about the difference between these sacrificing men and how they end, and my favorite character, Rhett Butler. They leave to preserve the happiness of others, he leaves to preserve his own. :P

> I did not! I just repeated it! Who do you think makes up the parade and who do you think applauds?!

I know it just sounds meaner the way you put it. :)

I admit she'd probably float more. :P

I like a woman who can float!

Tell me about it. That was a stretch. I picture him not even knowing how to shoot a gun. I can see him roping him, rather. :D

:)

It broke my heart. I know it could be no other way, but it's just awful to think how he would end up, with no one to care for him. Like Tom (Doniphon), Ethan (Edwards), Tom (Joad)...

That's because you women wrong us men!

Ha! I was just thinking about the difference between these sacrificing men and how they end, and my favorite character, Rhett Butler. They leave to preserve the happiness of others, he leaves to preserve his own. :P

He tried to make you happy!

I know it just sounds meaner the way you put it. :)

Well, what do you expect?!

• 6 months later...

I've just noted that several rarely shown one-reelers Willie did in his travels are being shown late tonight and into early morning:

3:15 a.m.* Will Rogers Winging Around Europe* (1927)

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/856469/Will-Rogers-Winging-Around-Europe/

5:00 a.m. *Will Rogers Exploring England* (1927)

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/856466/Will-Rogers-Exploring-England/

7:00 a.m. *Will Rogers Roaming the Emeral Isle* (1927)

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/856468/Will-Rogers-Roaming-the-Emerald-Isle/

8:45 a.m. *Will Rogers in Dublin* (1927)

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/856467/Will-Rogers-in-Dublin/

Well, I totally missed all the films you have listed here, little lady.. but just wanted to chime in that I was fortunate enough to get a chance to see Judge Priest recently.. thanks to the kindness of a friend.. and OH how that dear Mr. Rogers does shine.. it is his movie, all the way.

Hi, Ro...I'm very glad you finally go to visit with Billy Priest. :) A gentler time was depicted in those movies, though not without their disquieting issues, too. We could all use someone like the Judge to mediate our troubles.

I also like what you said earlier (somewhere in this thread) about this movie sort of depecting life back then as it "never was".. but can sometimes be portrayed in film.

(PS: I meant to mention that I also saw a lot of really fine "Fordian" moments in this story too.. many that put me in mind of some of his later films yet to come)

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}I also like what you said earlier (somewhere in this thread) about this movie sort of depecting life back then as it "never was".. but can sometimes be portrayed in film.

>

It is a fantasy, or the "legend", but there is truth about human nature, especially in Billy's understanding of people who don't fit in, whether it's Jeff (Stepin' Fetchit), Bob Gillis (David Landau), or Ellie May. His reaction to his sister-in-law's snobbishness says it all:

vlcsnap-00034.jpg

vlcsnap-00035.jpg

He knows how unwelcome and even hostile small (minded) town people in such an "Eden" can be. All three Ford/Rogers movies seem to hone in on that rather nicely.

> (PS: I meant to mention that I also saw a lot of really fine "Fordian" moments in this story too.. many that put me in mind of some of his later films yet to come)

Yes, I think they're among the most personal he did in the early thirties. He seemed to have found his most kindred spirit since Harry Carey in Will Rogers.

Archived