Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Happened to the holiday movies?

KYRONB

What happened to the holiday movies this year? Was it me, or were we a few classic holiday movies short this year.

Yes, yes I know all about the 'special' programming on Fridays in December, but seeing Holiday Affair just once is quite enough. And please lets talk about the movies shown...The Girl He Left Behind; Black Christmas; Susan Slept Here; Whose Afraid of Virginia Woolf; Lion in the Winter; and some of this stuff was on Christmas day!

You know, at 47, there are only a few things I can count now these days.. seeing great, classic holiday movies on Christmas day were one of those things. Christmas in Connecticut; It's A Wonderful Life; White Christmas, or how about just good movies that make you feel like you did when you still believed in Santa; and that the world was good;and all would be made right in the end.

Perhaps its wrong and child-like, but I counted on that this year. I needed it.

Christmas is over, and today bypassed the television altogether since the schedule was Disney movies. I spent most of the day in bed, sort of hiding from my family who seem happy with the selection of sporting events today. Tomorrow there's work, and by the end of the week, the beginning of a new year. So perhaps next year.

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

> TCM is run by secular progressives whose sole objective is to destroy Christmas. They even forced Ben Mankiewicz to shave his goatee because he looked too much like one of the Magi.

>

First, off, I totally disagree with this comment. Throughout December, I heard Ben M. and Robert O. say 'Merry Christmas' more than 'Happy Holidays', which is a big improvement compared to the crappy 'politically incorrect' secular progressives who really want to destroy the meaning of the season.

However, in response to the original post, I agree that there were fewer Christmas movies shown this year, but I believe the main reasons are because they had to scheduled on Fridays because of where Christmas Eve fell, and as a result conflicted with the TCM Underground. Also, the fact that Christmas was on a Saturday made it conflict with the Essentials. In addition, Moguls and Movie Stars ran for the first two weeks and took up four nights that could of went to Christmas related movies. Finally, channels like AMC and NBC got the rights to many classic Christmas movies this year (Christmas in Connecticut??? whats up with that?).

I too disagree with the earlier comment, besides I never liked Ben's goatee. I thank you for the explaination, however, I take issue with the Christmas in Connecticut comment. I take it you've never seen the movie, hence the comment.

Where do I begin...there's working girl Barbara Stanwick lying about being the perfect housewife; Dennis Morgan, a war hero fresh from a hospital save after being torpedoed; S.Z. Sakall who owns an eatery and funny as hell; and Sidney Greenstreet, well being Sidney Greenstreet, but funny. It's fun and heartwarming and not a bad way to kill an hour and a half. OK its a click flick, but its connected to perfect memories and the idea of love and romance and all working right in the end.

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

> Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I meant to say that TCM has been taken over by the far right, which is why we are seeing nothing but Disney movies and Mickey Rooney films.

Great! I can't wait till it gets even further right...

Granted. I understand the issue with movie rights, but Lion in the Winter and Whose Afraid of Virginia Woolf on Christmas day..Thats just rank.

Oh, by the way, any comments on the Marx Brothers for New Year's. I loved the Thin Man last year (I own all six in VHS and DVD). But the Marx Brothers...never been a fan.

Edited by: KYRONB on Dec 26, 2010 10:05 PM

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

> > Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

>

> People just don't understand you. :)

I'll try one more time.

If Cher wants to expose herself in a foreign country, that's her business. But Matt Damon taking over the Glen Campbell role in True Grit? Give me a break.

How about some Garbo films? Or perhaps Marie Osmond?

I very rarely write to comment on anything on these boards, but I usually read them. What are people complaining about? For heavens' sake, if you want to see holiday movies, tape them or dvd them and watch them the next year. People are always complaining about the things they like aren't on at the times they want to see them. Recording devices have been around for forty years and they are pretty cheap. Buy one, use it and stop complaining!

Maybe TCM is trying to include people who do not celebrate Christmas. There are some, you know.

Edited by: howardkeelfan on Dec 27, 2010 5:15 AM Sorry, this was in reply to tthe person who was insulted by happy holidays, not audrey. Sorry for the mistake; I'm not used to posting.

Edited by: howardkeelfan on Dec 27, 2010 5:16 AM

> {quote:title=KYRONB wrote:}{quote}

> I thank you for the explaination, however, I take issue with the Christmas in Connecticut comment. I take it you've never seen the movie, hence the comment.

>

Sorry, if I didn't make myself clear. I love Christmas in Connecticut. I highly regard it is one of my favorite Christmas movies, but I was stunned when I found out that AMC had the rights to it this year, because it almost doesn't seem like Christmas at TCM without this particular film. And besides, it owned by Warner Home Video! I wonder how AMC got it over TCM, considering WHV and TCM are partners!

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

> MCM...Murdoch Classic Movies!

When Murdoch dies, his empire will be taken over by China, through his Chinese wife.

No more classic Charlie Chan films, ever.

All "Western" will be abolished and replaced by "Easterns".

*I wonder how AMC got it over TCM, considering WHV and TCM are partners!*

Audrey,

I thnk a common fallacy is that people think that since Time-Warner owns TCM and Warner Brothers, it's no problem for TCM to get films from the WBros library.

The reality is that TCM has to rent all the flms it airs including the ones from the WBros. They can't, like many here think, just call over to the WBros vault and ask for any film to be sent to over.

They are treated like any other channel bidding for films and at this time of the year, they are up against a slew of networks all vying for classic Christmas films.

As for *Christmas in Connecticut*, it sounds like TCM had a long-term rental contract for showing that film and the contract ended last year. WBros put the film out for bid for the holidays and AMC won the bidding.

When TCM was able to air *White Christmas* a few years ago, TCMProgrammr wrote in a thread about it, that Paramount knows how popular that film is and because of that, the studio puts a high price tag on the rental cost.

I'd bet the other studios do the same with their popular holiday titles.

> {quote:title=Kinokima wrote:}{quote}

> It sucks when AMC gets any movie because there is no point of watching it with all those darn commercials.

Agreed. They have chopped the crap out of *Airplane!* yet play it every other day. So glad TCM aired *McClintock!* recently because I like to watch it every now and then and there are way too many commercials on John Wayne Saturdays.

> {quote:title=Kinokima wrote:}{quote}

> It sucks when AMC gets any movie because there is no point of watching it with all those darn commercials.

I agree. I spend most of my time changing channels during the commercial breaks. I check in on the news channels to see if we are in any new wars. Sometimes I forget what movie I was watching and I have to watch something else.

We need a text ?crawl? across the bottom of our screen when we are on this forum, like some of the news channels have, giving us a continuous explanation of why TCM doesn?t own rights to every film in the world. Or, better yet, we should have an audio channel here that constantly explains this, so people can hear it. Maybe Mr. Osborne could narrate it continuously, in a loop, like the weather service broadcasts.