Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FOREIGN MOVIE CLASSICS TRIVIA...

mudskipper

For lovers of foreign films that are classics or new...Anything goes, but the films should at least be critically significant or acclaimed from any country or language...Please avoid trashy movies...(I realize trashy is a subjective term, but at least the film should have some value.)....I'll start :

Question: What is the title of the poignant film-- about a schoolteacher and her pupils--- that won over "The Seven Samurai" and Akira Kurosawa for Best Picture and Best Director during the 1955 Mainichi Film Concourse Awards (similar to the Oscars in Japan at that time)...It stars Hideko Takamine in a brilliant performance...

Don't know anything much about Chris Rock--but Kurowsawa made *The High & The Low* in 1963, starring Toshiro Mifune. A Police drama-mystery. It was one of my favorites. I loved how the director used an Elvis Presley tune in a climatic scene--so cool!

I knew you'd guess that one--

They said this guy was dead, but he, the same person returns.

Hint: the same actor played Martin Guerre as the main character for the answer to the question--the movie is the name of a man--2 hints!

Yes--a moumental film--some of it was filmed in the Latin Quarter--based on a literary classic by Balzac. Of course, Gerard Depardieu is the actor I spoke about previously.

Mudskipper, you are an invaluable player.

Edited by: cujas on Jan 13, 2011 5:08 PM

This is an interesting four-movie question for movie buffs:

In the 1990s, Bruce Willis starred in a movie which was a remake of an Italian Spaghetti western which was, in turn, based on a Japanese Samurai film inspired by an American film noir...Name the four films....and extra credits if you can name the actors and directors of each.

*The Glass Key* / Alan Ladd / Dir: Stuart Heiser

*Yojimbo* / Sanjuro Kuwabataka / Dir: Akira Kurasawa

*A Fistful Of Dollars* / Clint Eastwood / Dir: Sergio Leone

*Last Man Standing* / Bruce Willis* / Dir: Walter Hill

...From a plot first used by Dashiell Hammett.

All correct, C...except that the great Toshiro Mifune starred in Kurosawa's "Yojimbo" ( or I guess you can call him The Samurai With No Name..) By the way, "Sanjuro" aka "Sanjuro Kuwabatake" is the sequel to "Yojimbo" (and they're both great movies)....Your turn now..

Thanks, skipper. Let's try this one.

In a rural and small-town setting, a story is told in _two_ films, released in sequence. The tale spans three generations. A man brings about the death of a neighbor by underhanded means because he wants the fellow's land. The sequel relates how vengeance was achieved. Nearing the end of the story, the man finds out that he had unknowingly killed his own son. Foreign. 1980s.

???