Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Rogue Song(1930)

ERROL23

A long lost Laurel and Hardy film.(With Lawrence Tibet)

Do you think this will ever be found?

The only print thats known to exist was found in Yugoslavia,but its in poor condition,The Laurel and Hardy segments are cut as well as the songs.

How this ever got lost I cant figure out.

There are a couple of short segments with Laurel & Hardy that survive, but have some deterioration and color fading problems. I doubt that a complete copy of this film will turn up. Now that I've said that, a print will probably surface soon :P.

I've often wondered why this film was never preserved. MGM had a the best record of any major studio is preserving their films. There are fewer lost MGM films (silent and sound) than any other studio. I would love to see a complete version of THE ROGUE SONG.

• 2 weeks later...

William K. Everson ("The Films of Laurel and Hardy") says -- as does Wikipedia -- that _Rogue Song_ was an early Technicolor feature, and that made the print quality even more unstable than the other films of its day. I am still hoping that someday, someone will find a good complete print somewhere, in a desert monastery, the New Zealand film archives, or maybe some private vault in Utah. But the same wiki lists several pieces of the film that are extant, as well as the entire soundtrack, which I had not known until reading it.

Edited by: nitratefiend on Jan 11, 2011 10:35 AM

• 2 weeks later...

> {quote:title=ERROL23 wrote:}{quote}

> A complete Soundtrack only LP of the film is around.I guess this is the best they can do for now.

>

It's actually not the complete soundtrack, just the musical highlights, Lawrence Tibbett's songs and the Laurel & Hardy scenes. It's on a label called Pelican Records.