Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
rayallen

"Holiday" with Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn

Just watched this movie which I had never heard of. Pretty fun, charming film. Kind of off-beat comedy with early performances of a few Holly-wood-be heavies.

I have to say, Lew Ayres reminded me of a young Jack Lemmon, and Doris Nolan, playing Julia Seton, looked a lot like James Cagney's sister Jeanne.

Holiday is one of my favorite movies. Of course it isn't a screwball type of comedy like Bringing Up Baby but Grant does get a few high energy moments. While the movie is a message picture in some ways the message never drags down the story and the love that brews between Kate and Grant's characters is just so real and genunie.

I love the relationship between Cary and Katharine in this. I also enjoy Lew Ayres' character. I also enjoy how symbolic the play room is to the theme of the movie.

But the one thing that brings the film slightly down for me is how one dimensional the sister and her father are. Heck how did Cary fall in love with such a girl in the first place?

Edited by: Kinokima on Dec 28, 2010 8:22 PM

> {quote:title=Kinokima wrote:}{quote}

> I love the relationship between Cary and Katharine in this. I also enjoy Lew Ayres' character. I also enjoy how symbolic the play room is to the theme of the movie.

>

> But the one thing that brings the film slightly down for me is how one dimensional the sister and her father are. Heck how did Cary fall in love with such a girl in the first place?

>

> Edited by: Kinokima on Dec 28, 2010 8:22 PM

I always wondered that too--they met on vacation, so maybe she was a different person when out from under her father's thumb? The character isn;t any better developed in the original either--I wonder if the play does a better job?

My favorite characters from this movie are the Potters. (I always love the comic relief moments.)

I wish TCM would show the 1930 version with Ann Harding. I saw it many years ago at New York's old Theater 80 revival house and enjoyed it.

> {quote:title=VP19 wrote:}{quote}

> I wish TCM would show the 1930 version with Ann Harding. I saw it many years ago at New York's old Theater 80 revival house and enjoyed it.

They have but its been several years. That's how I saw it.

Yes, there is a thing called the holiday romance and thus the title. Have you ever been in one?

I have and while it wasn't like the movie (hey I would of married for the money!!), it was similar in that during the vacation the gal I meet appeared to be such free spirit and nothing about the future was discussed or about jobs or politics but only two young people 'in love'.

Well once I started seeing her after the vacation I found out she was very controling etc... I don't think she acted that way on vacation just to hook me (I'm not that great of a catch, ha ha), but being on vacation and away from her family allowed her to be different.

But I do see your point and like most movies there are always holes in the plot if one digs too deep.

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> Yes, there is a thing called the holiday romance and thus the title. Have you ever been in one?

>

> I have and while it wasn't like the movie (hey I would of married for the money!!), it was similar in that during the vacation the gal I meet appeared to be such free spirit and nothing about the future was discussed or about jobs or politics but only two young people 'in love'.

>

> Well once I started seeing her after the vacation I found out she was very controling etc... I don't think she acted that way on vacation just to hook me (I'm not that great of a catch, ha ha), but being on vacation and away from her family allowed her to be different.

>

> But I do see your point and like most movies there are always holes in the plot if one digs too deep.

Oh heavens no. I was much too shy as a teenager and young adult to ever get involved with anyone that quickly! I did have friends who tried that though and it never turned out well.

It can happen and be rather innocent. I had a friendship with a man I had met my last day in Sydney in the mid 80's. He was from England and we were both traveling alone. Worked out great, we doubled our itineraries! Discovered from writing through the years he was a very wealthy man!

Sadly, he had cancer (not yet 30) and stopped writing. I fear he's no longer with us but I periodically search for him on the internet.

I recorded & watched HOLIDAY, but will record over it. Not their best.

"I have to say, Lew Ayres reminded me of a young Jack Lemmon, and Doris Nolan, playing Julia Seton, looked a lot like James Cagney's sister Jeanne. - << (( Ray Allen )) >>

I agree...you're so right about Doris Nolan.

"Heck how did Cary fall in love with such a girl in the first place?? - << (( Kinokima )) >>

That beats the heck out of me especially since she looks like Jeanne Cagney. I'm not sure why the producers in 1938, hired her out of all the other actresses out there at the time. ( ??? )

"My favorite characters from this movie are the Potters. (I always love the comic relief moments.)? - << (( Traceyk65 )) >>

They were great...and subdued. Glad to see E.E.Horton not flittering around.

?I wish TCM would show the 1930 version with Ann Harding. I saw it many years ago at New York's old Theater 80 revival house and enjoyed it.? - << (( VP19 )) >>

I really want to see that one as well.

"Heck how did Cary fall in love with such a girl in the first place?? - << (( Kinokima )) >>

That beats the heck out of me especially since she looks like Jeanne Cagney. I'm not sure why the producers in 1938, hired her out of all the other actresses out there at the time. ( ??? )

Doris Nolan wasn't THAT unappealing, at least not physically. she had been a leading since the early 30s at least.

George Cukor actually interviewed (and tested?) a young Rita Hayworth for the part, but Hayworth, who was then entering her B movie stardom at Columbia, was deemed too inexperienced. Cukor remembered her, however, and offered her a featured role in 1940's SUSAN AND GOD.

Love this outstanding comedy. The two stars were rarely better. Ned (Lew Ayres) is my favorite character as well. All in all, this is better than THE PHILADELPHIA STORY, though I like that one too. HOLIDAY treats a great play as exactly that. No need to "movie it up!" I like the older version, but Cukor's classic is better. It's an example of fine writing, directing and acting combined for a delightful, unpretentious package.

This another film that should be promoted more as a Christmas Classic, when TCM cannot get ahold of the ones everybody get's upset when they are broadcast by other channels (Miracle on 34th Street, It's A Wonderful Life, The Bishop's Wife, Christmas In Connecticut, etc).

I don't view Holiday as a New Year's movie either (but certainly not a Christmas movie).

For a great New Years comedy there is It's Love I'm After with Leslie Howard, Bette Davis and Olivia DeHavilland. The story is set on New Years eve and day. One of the top comedies of the 30s.

I love *Holiday*, it's a delightful movie. I even like Katharine Hepburn in it. I agree with the comments about Lew Ayres looking (and seeming) a little like Jack Lemmon, also with the couple, Cary's friends in the story, coming the the rich people's party and being refreshingly unstodgy and unpretentious. It's a sweet film, everything works. And yes, I think it would serve very well as a "Holiday" film. *Holiday* for the holidays ! Maybe next year...

By the way, contributing to the discussion about " holiday romances" and how people behave on them, etc., here's a quirky little song by the Kinks, entitled, of course, Holiday Romance :

(sorry there are no visuals- there's a lot of potential in the lyrics for some very entertaining visuals.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Sw101-BnE

> I don't view Holiday as a New Year's movie either (but certainly not a Christmas movie).

>

> For a great New Years comedy there is It's Love I'm After with Leslie Howard, Bette Davis and Olivia DeHavilland. The story is set on New Years eve and day. One of the top comedies of the 30s.

Very funny movie. I think it, All About Eve and (to a lesser degree) The Bride Came C.O.D. prove that Bette Davis could hold her own in a comedy.

always loved this movie. One of the few actually that I really liked Hepburn in. I love the scene on the stairs when she is explaining how something HAS to happen...how desperate she is to get out .... she makes me really feel her character as she rarely did (Alice Adams is another one) . Grant was cementing the "Cary Grant" character here; his athleticism and wit and good looks were all part of the package; as for Doris Nolan, who can say why any of us fall for the people we fall for? I always figured something awfully exciting must have been going on over that winter holiday ....

With regards to Nolan; The point was that if one look at the basic categories that would cause a man to fall for a women, especially given the times, some might say Nolan is lacking in the looks department. Now of course this is very subjective. The point is that it is hard to believe Grant fell for her because they had a common set of values or the size of her heart. They clearly don't have these in common and that is key to the entire plot. So if not those the most common one is good old sexual appeal and some feel she lacks in this especially compared with Grant (i.e. a 10 on that scale to most women!).

> With regards to Nolan; The point was that if one look at the basic categories that would cause a man to fall for a women, especially given the times, some might say Nolan is lacking in the looks department. Now of course this is very subjective. The point is that it is hard to believe Grant fell for her because they had a common set of values or the size of her heart. They clearly don't have these in common and that is key to the entire plot. So if not those the most common one is good old sexual appeal and some feel she lacks in this especially compared with Grant (i.e. a 10 on that scale to most women!).

Yeah, I never understood it either. There were plently of other, better-looking supporting types around (I was going to say at RKO, but Holiday wasn't RKO, was it? It was Columbia) And they had Rita Hayworth by that time and it looks like they also had Fay Wray. Either of them could have done that role and been a more convincing match for Grant.

Also Mary Astor and Jean Arthur (but maybe they were too "big" to play 2nd fiddle to Hepburn?)

Holiday is a Columbia picture and Rita might of been too young inexperienced for the part in 1937. Also Columbia wasn't as major of a studio as the 'bigs' and money was always an issue for them in those early years so getting an actor from another studio for that part might of been out of the question.

But funny you did mention Rita. She came to mind and so did Lana Turner, but both of them were not doing much acting in 37.

I think Gail Patrick would have been good, although I don't know what studio she was a part of.

Gail Patrick would of been great in the role since she played a similar role in My Man Godfrey. She had the looks but she could be a real,,, well you know not so nice gal,,,, and thus when the ending called for her character to show her true side she would of done great (not that Nolan didn't pull this off since she did).

I don't know what studio she worked for other than Godfrey was MGM.

> Gail Patrick would of been great in the role since she played a similar role in My Man Godfrey. She had the looks but she could be a real,,, well you know not so nice gal,,,, and thus when the ending called for her character to show her true side she would of done great (not that Nolan didn't pull this off since she did).

>

> I don't know what studio she worked for other than Godfrey was MGM.

Poor Gail Patrick--so often playing the woman you love to hate...the evil sister in Godfrey, the sleazy girl in Stage Door, the woman Cary Grant marries, then spends the rest of the movie avoiding in My Favorite Wife, the "old flame" in Love Crazy...