Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
rayallen

"Holiday" with Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn

*Holiday is a Columbia picture and Rita might of been too young inexperienced for the part in 1937. Also Columbia wasn't as major of a studio as the 'bigs' and money was always an issue for them in those early years so getting an actor from another studio for that part might of been out of the question.*

*But funny you did mention Rita. She came to mind and so did Lana Turner, but both of them were not doing much acting in 37.*

Yeah, I never understood it either. There were plently of other, better-looking supporting types around (I was going to say at RKO, but Holiday wasn't RKO, was it? It was Columbia) And they had Rita Hayworth by that time and it looks like they also had Fay Wray. Either of them could have done that role and been a more convincing match for Grant.

See my post below.

*I don't know what studio she worked for other than Godfrey was MGM.*

The original GODFREY was Universal.

Patrick was also over at Paramount a few years earlier, doing essentially the same bitchy role in DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY. She switched studios every few years it seems. She was at Paramount until about 1935 and then went over to Columbia for a bit, then RKO for a while, then MGM...

She never _quite_ was a star & may have shopped around for a studio that would give her the roles that might be her breakthrough. I've also seen her play entirely sympathetic roles (& when you think about it, she's capable of making her haughty characters funny).

Supposedly she was never very comfortable acting, which explains why she moved into producing (she produced the original PERRY MASON series among other things).

Thanks for the correction on Godfrey. Gail was good in certain roles and that role in Holiday would of fit her. I love watching Mason on local TV and I did notice that Gail Patrick was the producer. I wondered if it was the same gal (yea, whoelse could it be with the same name), but I wasn't 100% sure.

Thus Gail will always be a star (of sorts), in my book.

At the risk of going off-topic and also repeating myself inappropriately, did anyone click the song I posted , the Kinks tune called "Holiday Romance"? I really do think it's an unusual and charming little tune, an affectionate throwback to 1920s English music hall style.

*Holiday* is a delicious little flick - this from a Katharine Hepburn non-fan. But she's perfect in this.

This is just about Kate's best work, though I am a fan, and like her in LION IN WINTER as well.

> {quote:title=redriver wrote:}{quote}

> This is just about Kate's best work, though I am a fan, and like her in LION IN WINTER as well.

She's also very good in The African Queen, Summertime, Long Day's Journey into Night and surprisingly, Song of Love. I like most of Kate's films, though her 1930's stuff is pretty hit or miss (Alice Adams Holiday or Stage Door vs Mary of Scotland, Morning Glory or (good god) The Little Minister for example)

> {quote:title=traceyk65 wrote:}{quote}

>... I like most of Kate's films, though her 1930's stuff is pretty hit or miss (Alice Adams Holiday or Stage Door vs Mary of Scotland, Morning Glory or (good god) The Little Minister for example)

tracey, I'm wondering if I'm misunderstanding you. This thread is all about *Holiday*, the general consensus being that it is quite good, even for luke-warm Hepburn fans. So am I interpreting your post correctly in thinking that you are saying that in a "hit and miss" batch of Hepburn 30s films, *Holiday*

is one of the "misses" ? No problem if that's your opinion of it, I just wasn't sure if that's what you meant.

I assume (and I am sorry if I am wrong too) that she means Holiday, Alice Adams, and Stage Doors or the hits while Mary of Scotland, Morning Glory, and The Little Minister are the misses.

Thanks, Kinokima, that makes sense. I guess if I'd looked a little more carefully at the structure of tracey's post, I would have seen what she meant. (sorry, tracey, baby :) )

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> Thanks, Kinokima, that makes sense. I guess if I'd looked a little more carefully at the structure of tracey's post, I would have seen what she meant. (sorry, tracey, baby :) )

I could be wrong though I just wanted to take a guess. :)

I like LITTLE MINISTER okay. Love STAGE DOOR. MARY OF SCOTLAND is surprisingly lifeless for a Ford film. Where is Travis Tyree when you need him? ALICE ADAMS almost works as a movie. The fine cast holds it up. The book is really boring. I mean, REALLY boring!

> {quote:title=Kinokima wrote:}{quote}

> I assume (and I am sorry if I am wrong too) that she means Holiday, Alice Adams, and Stage Doors or the hits while Mary of Scotland, Morning Glory, and The Little Minister are the misses.

Yes.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> Thanks, Kinokima, that makes sense. I guess if I'd looked a little more carefully at the structure of tracey's post, I would have seen what she meant. (sorry, tracey, baby :) )

No prblem. I should be more clear--I tend to write a little bit stream-of-consciously (is that even a word?) at times and if you aren't in my head (which I don't recommend) at the time, it can be a little confusing.

Hey, someone that love Holiday Romance as much as I do. Not many people even know that song exist! The song came from a concept album that really works even if some of the tunes are only OK (i.e. the songs were done to tell the story more than to be great songs by themselves, like Ducks on the Wall).

Underneath the Neon Sign is also first rate. You have great taste my dear!

James, I'm so glad someone finally listened to that song I posted ! I thought it was a fun tune, and kind of fits in with the "holiday romance "concept we were all talking about. Long live the Kinks !