Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tired of the same old stuff

libradoll

Make no mistake, I ADORE TCM. I couldn't live without it, but have to admit I'm getting a little distressed over the constant repeat of the same old films over & over. Not too bad if you see a film this month & it comes on again in a couple of months, but really, some of them seem to be every other week. Is it that the TCM vault is not as large as I had imagined? Is it the person(s) selecting the movies to be shown not remembering what was just on? Whatever the problem I hope it can get fixed because I totally depend on TCM for my TV enjoyment. Help me out here guys.....whoever agrees please make a note on the Message Board...maybe TCM will read it. Thanks.

There are a couple of reasons that we've seen more repeats over the last couple of years. First, TCM doesn't have a "vault". As has been discussed many times, Ted Turner sold his company to Time-Warner back in the mid-1990s and that included the film library which is now controlled by Warner Bros. That means every film that TCM shows must be leased from somebody else. That also means that in some cases TCM must bid against other channels for certain films.

Secondly, it's no secret that the economy has caused Time-Warner to force all its divisions to tighten their belts and for TCM that means a leaner programming budget and more repeats. Still, TCM has continued to do many creative things and a month doesn't go by that there aren't premiers.

Of course, too, there are some films that get repeated a lot simply because they're popular and they attract viewers no matter how many times they're shown.

When you take into consideration that TCM doesn't sell commercials and the cable companies literally only pays them pennies per subscriber, it's down right miraculous that they can keep doing what they do and still do it so well.

Yes, but, most of the films from the 1930s and ?40s are NEVER shown on any other channel, so there is no demand for them except among us TCM fans, yet they are becoming more rare on TCM, as TCM shows more films from the 1980s and ?90s, which DO show up on other channels. TCM seems more interested in showing wide-screen color films now than showing old classics. But the older films from the ?30s and ?40s surely are less expensive to rent and would be more appreciated on this channel.

I don?t understand why TCM feels it must air ?Ben Hur?, ?The Shop Around the Corner?, and ?Meet Me In St. Louis? so many times during the year, every month or two. I?m fed up with these films appearing on TCM.

Mark,

All valid points. Another one I would like to point out is that when TCM first came on the air back in 1994, it wasn't easy to see classic films, uncut and commercial free on television.

Like a first date that turns into love, in the beginning the love affair with TCM seemed unending, full of films that hadn't seen the light of television screen or a willing audience in more years than many of us can remember. We were euphoric at the bounty and thought the love would never end. 24/7, it was all we thought about and all we watched.

But, like all long-term relationships, as time goes one, the relationship changes. What seemed so special in the beginning, now has the bloom off the rose.

But, it is not TCM that has really changed but our expectations of it. TCM still provides an incredible array of silents, foreign films, classic studio era films and a smattering of modern films each month.

But now we expect more, our appetites having being sated with so many classics we have seen, we now are tired of them and want to see more.

As you noted, TCM is working with a limited budget and as we all know must rent all the films they air. When the debuted in 1994, it was them and AMC.

Today, TCM must compete for films with AMC (especially at holidays), all the Encore channels, Retroplex and Movieplex (who are somehow tied into the Encore channels and possibly the Fox Movie Channel).

Not to mention the premium channels like HBO, Cinemax and Showtime that now air classic films at odd hours and the weekends.

That's quite a few more channels now vying for the same product.

The Warner Bros film library is the largest studio film library with over 4,000 titles in it. It would be wonderful if digital masters existed for all those titles but the economics of the situation makes that a pipe dream.

Will TCM be able to tap into those films as they are made available? I have no doubt that TCMProgrammr and his staff would jump at the case.

They got Sony to the table and recently did the same with Universal. In the last three years, we have seen more studios working with TCM than ever before. But like WBros, digital masters aren't available for all the titles we are dying to see. Yet. Each month still brings more premieres and rare films, pre-codes, cult films and more.

As for TCM, they are trying to clear the broadcast rights issues for *The Story of Temple Drake* and *Letty Lynton*.

They have cleared up the rights for *Night Flight*.

There are many different pieces to this puzzle and it's not as easy as many tend to think to get the films we all want to see when we want to see them.

Excuses. Do posters get paid to defend TCM so much? LOL

Can't we just have a time when someone vents and everyone lets it alone. Give a dissenting voice a chance to speak and breathe. Where is the tolerance and the freedom to voice complaints? Of course, too much negativity is not good...but it is healthy and good for consumers to get a few things off their chest without everyone else calling in the Cavalry.

I am going to stop reading some of these threads, because the arguments are predictable.

I may not agree with the original poster and I may not agree with a lot of the posting around here, but I see it as the right of someone to communicate constructively if they abide by the rules and conduct themselves in a civil fashion.

It is time for others to stop feeling the need to quash criticism of TCM. I have been considering doing a new thread with valid criticisms of the channel I have seen on the boards in 2010. But I haven't because I know it would be a hot potato. But then, maybe I should...why is there this form of censorship and constant correction and pseudo-attack on this board...?

I know the usual suspects will reply to me on this, but I am not going to read it because I already know what they are going to say, and I have some Agee to read today. LOL

To quote the great poet, Mick Jagger "You can't always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes, you get what you need."

If there are some of us who are just fine with TCM, why should our opinions be squashed? It's just as valid as yours.

Criticism is fine in small doses. It's when someone goes into overdrive and fails to find anything they like about TCM, then I think it's time to move on if you feel like your pearls are falling on ignorant & deaf ears.

But you already said you don't care what some of us have to say. We just have different perspectives.

There is a tribute to Ealing Studios tonight, but the movies shown represent the usual suspects -- well known Alec Guinness films. There is a film on in the wee hours, with which I am not familiar --- *The Bells Go Down*.

Ealing made hundreds of films, which are never shown. It might have been interesting to get some of those, rather than *The Lavender Hill Mob*, etc. yet again.

Thank you for the corporate information which was very helpful & interesting, but just so you know, I used the word 'vault' because I have heard the announcers on TCM use it so I assumed there was a 'vault'. Must be my mistake. Sorry to you & to TCM. Maybe TCM should refrain from using the word. Thank you.

Oh dear, maybe you missed the original post. I started out by saying 'I ADORE TCM'

I'm not looking to quash anybody's opinion. I only asked if anyone else felt the same way as I did would be nice if they said so. The last line of your post could NOT be meant for me since I said no such thing!

Thanks

I agree.

Seems to me that most films shown on TCM should have the 1-year rule and not be shown but once a year. We really don?t need to see ?Ben Hur? every two months or ?The Shop Around the Corner? several times a year.

Some of those new Will Rogers movies were shown in the middle of the night, when no one was awake, and that means we had to record them if we wanted to see them. But when they are shown in a long block like that, we can?t record all of them, even if we use an 8-hour tape or disk, and that lowers the video quality.

I don?t understand why they would keep showing the common films over and over again in prime time, yet show the rare Will Rogers movies in the middle of the night. It doesn?t make any sense.

Since nearly everyone in America is asleep at 3 AM, or working some night job, and since many people don?t have any kind of long-term recording device, that means some of those rare Will Rogers films were shown to a TCM audience of almost nobody at all. This not only doesn?t make any sense, it borders on being downright ?crazy?.

*Excuses. Do posters get paid to defend TCM so much?*

No they don't. But they have just as much right to voice their opinions as you do. Just because you don't agree with what they have to say doesn't mean they shouldn't say it.

No one is saying that posters who have a beef with TCM shouldn't be allowed to post those gripes.

But those who don't necessarily agree with the gripes have just as much as right to respond as the original poster does.

It seems you want to squash the conversation over TCM so that only the ones who agree with you and your opinions get their say.

That's hardly a debate or a conversation. That's trying to control the conversation and those who try to do that usually discover that they can't.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> *Excuses. Do posters get paid to defend TCM so much?*

If I got paid round these parts, I can think of some other things I'd do first.

> But those who don't necessarily agree with the gripes have just as much as right to respond as the original poster does.

>

> It seems you want to squash the conversation over TCM so that only the ones who agree with you and your opinions get their say.

Be careful what you say. You might get put on ignore.

{insert shot of somebody being about as frightened as Gene Tierney in *The Ghost and Mrs. Muir*}

> {quote:title=MyFavoriteFilms wrote:}{quote}

> *I am going to stop reading some of these threads, because the arguments are predictable.*

>

> I may not agree with the original poster and I may not agree with a lot of the posting around here, but I see it as the right of someone to communicate constructively if they abide by the rules and conduct themselves in a civil fashion.

> I know the usual suspects will reply to me on this, *but I am not going to read it because I already know what they are going to say,* and I have some Agee to read today. LOL

Is that what you mean by "communicate constructively"?

Seems more like:

5304235718_49d0800fbf_m.jpg

> {quote:title=Fedya wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> > *Excuses. Do posters get paid to defend TCM so much?*

>

> If I got paid round these parts, I can think of some other things I'd do first.

>

Fedya, actually it was MFF who said that. lzcutter was just repeating it (thus the bold) for her rebuttal.

There have been some great comments in this thread on both sides of the issue, but...

Threads like this (and there have been a few), make me wonder: What kind of life are the complainers leading? To complain about a few films shown about a dozen times a year, when most films shown are repeated only a few times and many are shown only once or twice, it just makes me wonder, is this is all you guys have in your lives? Just TCM? If repeats upset you, turn off the TV and get a hobby. Get out of the house.

Most other channels repeat their films a half dozen times a week. Maybe more frequent than that some weeks. I don't know about HBO, but the STARZ/ENCORE channels, the SHOWTIME channels, the Sony Movie channel, the MGM channel, HDNET channel, FMC, they all repeat their movies over and over again and again for a year or more before they mix in a few new titles. They're relentless with their repeats. Most of their offering are lousy, anyway. And they are "Premium" channels. Those channels deserve to get a heap of complaints. I ended my subscription to premium channels a long time ago. They're not worth it. TCM and NESN are the only reasons I keep the satellite service.

> {quote:title=libradoll wrote:}{quote}

> Oh dear, maybe you missed the original post. I started out by saying 'I ADORE TCM'

> I'm not looking to quash anybody's opinion. I only asked if anyone else felt the same way as I did would be nice if they said so. The last line of your post could NOT be meant for me since I said no such thing!

> Thanks

If you're responding to my post, it wasn't aimed at your original post--it was aimed at MFF, who seems to feel the need to scold/school/complain about everything & everybody associated with TCM up to and including satisfied viewers. Sorry the recent programming hasn't been to your liking. Maybe this month will be different since we're getting a lot of Hal Roach & Peter Sellers with films & shorts rarely, if ever, shown. It could be good, or as I predict, a lot of additional complaining. I already foresee a lot of posts on those all day marathons of silent Our Gang shorts. We'll see what happens.

Edited by: helenbaby on Dec 29, 2010 4:03 PM

Hello, First of all your statement "repeated only a few times and many are shown only once or twice" is incorrect which you would know if you watched TCM as much as I do. Thank you very much for your kind suggestion(s) but TCM is my life & it is also my hobby & I Do Not Want To Go Outside! It's COLD!