Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
PrinceSaliano

1933 UNIVERSALS

Universal released 32 features in 1933. How many have you seen? How many have never even played on television?

BE MINE TONIGHT - Jan Kiepura, Sonnie Hale (made in England)

THE BIG CAGE - Clyde Beatty, Anita Page, Mickey Rooney

COHENS AND KELLYS IN TROUBLE - George Sidney, Frank Albertson

COUNSELLOR AT LAW - John Barrymore, Bebe Daniels, Thelma Todd

DESTINATION UNKNOWN - Pat O'Brien, Ralph Bellamy

DON'T BET ON LOVE - Lew Ayres, Ginger Rogers

FIDDLIN' BUCKAROO - Ken Maynarrd

THE FIGHTING PRESIDENT - documentary

HER FIRST MATE - ZaSu Pitts, Una Merkel

HORSE PLAY - Slim Summerville, Andy Devine, Leila Hyams

THE INVISIBLE MAN - Claude Rains, Gloria Stuart

KING FOR A NIGHT - Chester Morris, Helen Twelvetrees

KING OF THE ARENA - Ken Maynard

THE KISS BEFORE THE MIRROR - Nancy Carroll, Frank Morgan, Gloria Stuart

LADIES MUST LOVE - June Knight, Neil Hamilton

LAUGHTER IN HELL - Pat O'Brien, Gloria Stuart

LOVE, HONOR AND OH BABY! - Slim Summerville, ZaSu Pitts

LUCKY DOG - Chic Sale, Tom O'Brien

MOONLIGHT AND PRETZELS - Leo Carrillo, Mary Brian

NAGANA - Tala Birell, Melvyn Douglas

ONLY YESTERDAY - Margaret Sullavan, John Boles

OUT ALL NIGHT - Slim Summerville, ZaSu Pitts

PRIVATE JONES - Lee Tracy, Gloria Stuart, Donald Cook

THE REBEL - Vilma Banky, Victor Varconi (made in Austria)

ROME EXPRESS - Esther Ralston, Conrad Veidt (made in England)

RUSTLERS' ROUNDUP - Tom Mix

S.O.S. ICEBERG - Rod La Rocque (made in Germany)

SATURDAY'S MILLIONS - Robert Young, Leila Hyams

SECRET OF THE BLUE ROOM - Lionel Atwill, Gloria Stuart, Paul Lukas

STRAWBERRY ROAN - Ken Maynard

TERROR TRAIL - Tom Mix

THEY JUST HAD TO GET MARRIED - Slim Summerville, ZaSu Pitts

*Free rare Universals from the vaults!*

I've only seen two -- *The Invisible Man* and *The Secret of the Blue Room*. I remember something funny about the latter -- Paul Lukas and one of the other actors share a room (separate beds, of course). They shake hands before they go to sleep! It's quite an amusing touch, in this atmospheric old "melodrama".

I want to see all those other 1933 releases!

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> Universal released 32 features in 1933. How many have you seen? How many have never even played on television?

>

I've seen only 14 of them:

The Big Cage

Cohens & Kellys in Trouble

Counselor at Law

Destination Unknown

Don't Bet On Love

Her First Mate

The Invisible Man

King For a Night

The Kiss Before the Mirror

Moonlight and Pretzels

Only Yesterday

Out All Night

Saturday's Millions

Secret of the Blue Room

Some on the list are among my most wanted Universals:

Searchin' for years, can't find copies:

Horseplay

Ladies Must Love

Lucky Dog

Private Jones

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}

> I've only seen two -- *The Invisible Man* and *The Secret of the Blue Room*. I remember something funny about the latter -- Paul Lukas and one of the other actors share a room (separate beds, of course). They shake hands before they go to sleep! It's quite an amusing touch, in this atmospheric old "melodrama".

>

> I want to see all those other 1933 releases!

Getting these rare Universals out of the vault and on TCM should be a priority. Jacques Cousteau indeed!

Strange that THE SECRET OF THE BLUE ROOM, one of the "lost" Universal Horrors, has not been released on DVD since it has so many UNIVERSAL HORROR things going for it - Lionel Atwill, Gloria Stuart, that familiar SWAN LAKE motif used in DRACULA, THE MUMMY, and MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE. Too bad it wasn't included in the last UNIVERSAL CULT HORRORS COLLECTION. But, I would like to see it released in a follow up set with THE MAN WHO RECLAIMED HIS HEAD, THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD, THE MISSING GUEST, and MURDER IN THE BLUE ROOM.

I don't think SECRET OF THE BLUE ROOM is so much "lost" as "ignored." And why that's the case, I don't know. It was part of the Shock Theater package back in the 1960s (& I managed to acquire a bootleg VHS (obviously derived from a 16mm print) of it some years ago), so I'm not certain why this didn't make it to VHS back in the 1990s when Universal seemed to get damned near everything in their library released to VHS (even the Paula Dupre trilogy!). I wonder if there might be some sort of rights issue? (It is a remake of a German film & even incorporates some footage from the original.) I suspect the buying public for it would be pretty limited, but it'd be cool to see it & the two remakes all put out on a single disc.

*Secret of the Blue Room* used to be programmed on the old Shock Theater on Channel 7 in NYC. Also *The Mystery of Edwin Drood* (1935). Thanks to someone on this board, I've been pointed to *Drood* on YouTube -- the whole film is there. I hook my laptop up to my TV and, although I have to watch it in six parts, it's better than waiting for some TV channel to screen it. What a cast, great leading actors and terrific character parts for Zeffie Tilbury, Ethel Griffies, and E.E. Clive. Beautifully done, creepy, lesser-known Dickens. Bravo Stuart Walker, whose *Werewolf of London* is, for me, superior to the later *Wolf Man* with Chaney, Jr.

Just Counsellor at Law (It's actually out on DVD from KINO), and the Invisible Man, sad...hopefully a few will run on TCM, or be available for purchase.

Counsellor at Law was a great movie that is vastly underrated. I loved Bebe Daniels as the secretary who secretly loved her boss played by John Barrymore. This is my favorite Bebe Daniels role, second only to her wonderful performance in 42nd St.

Paul Muni played the part of this shady lawyer on Broadway, but Barrymore gives it a broader stroke than even Muni might have done. The moods range from comic to tragic as Barrymore contemplates suicide at the end. Only "Rexy" Gordon (Bebe Daniels character's name)coming back to the office prevents him from doing away with himself.

The pace is lightning quick and the dialogue is sharp and witty.

There is a scene where the camera lovingly tracks the rear end of the matronly office manager as she walks down the hallway. The camera lingers on her ample derriere as she comes back to the main office and several people in the waiting room leer.

I've viewed and have copies of these. The Invisible Man was on the old AMC all of the time. Kiss Before the Mirror was on TCM just a couple of years ago with what seemed to be a restored print.

THE BIG CAGE - Clyde Beatty, Anita Page, Mickey Rooney

COUNSELLOR AT LAW - John Barrymore, Bebe Daniels, Thelma Todd

THE INVISIBLE MAN - Claude Rains, Gloria Stuart

KING FOR A NIGHT - Chester Morris, Helen Twelvetrees

THE KISS BEFORE THE MIRROR - Nancy Carroll, Frank Morgan, Gloria Stuart

MOONLIGHT AND PRETZELS - Leo Carrillo, Mary Brian

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

>Were the two sequels to CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN released on home video?

>

Yes, they were, both in 1998.

JUNGLE WOMAN - Universal VHS 83281.

JUNGLE CAPTIVE - Universal VHS 83282.

Both have very attractive boxes with one lobby card reproduction on the back of each, and nice colorful front covers.

Unfortunately, no extras such as trailers.

> {quote:title=HarryLong wrote:}{quote}

> I don't think SECRET OF THE BLUE ROOM is so much "lost" as "ignored." And why that's the case, I don't know. It was part of the Shock Theater package back in the 1960s (& I managed to acquire a bootleg VHS (obviously derived from a 16mm print) of it some years ago), so I'm not certain why this didn't make it to VHS back in the 1990s when Universal seemed to get damned near everything in their library released to VHS (even the Paula Dupre trilogy!). I wonder if there might be some sort of rights issue? (It is a remake of a German film & even incorporates some footage from the original.) I suspect the buying public for it would be pretty limited, but it'd be cool to see it & the two remakes all put out on a single disc.

The answer is simple, DVD. SECRET and probably the other "lost"/"ignored" UNIVERSALS would have eventually been released on VHS if DVD would have been delayed for a few years. With the advent of DVD, Universal probably just thought it was more profitable to start the new line with their CLASSICS rather then their third and fourth tier horror/mystery thrillers.