Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is anyone else having trouble with modern companies?

FredCDobbs

I mean, are you sick and tired of calling a store or a company and getting a recording with a complex ?press 1, 2, 3? menu?

Are you fed up with stores trying to push Blu-Ray machines, while all you want is a DVD/VCR recorder?

Are you angry because you can?t even call a local store to find out what items they have in stock, because you keep getting the store?s recording, and if you finally reach a real person, they have no idea what items are in stock in their store?

Does your 911 operator put you on hold when you call up to report a man with a gun breaking into your home?

Does the person you finally reach on the telephone speak with such a foreign accent, you can?t understand what they are saying?

When you finally reach a real human on the phone, is there a 3 second delay in each side of your conversation... which means they are talking to you from India?

I?ve been trying for several days to buy a new VCR/DVD recorder, but it?s impossible for me to get anyone at the various store to tell me what they have in stock.

WALMART doesn?t know. So I fought the mobs of crowds, I had to almost ram another car to get a handicapped parking place (I was there first, and I had waited for the space for about 10 minutes). I had to slush through the snow. Etc., etc. Only a cheap Magnavox in stock.

BESTBUY put me on hold. I waited and waited and all I got were a bunch of recorded commercials for Bestbuy, and a recording that kept saying, ?Your business is important to us, please stay on the line.?

SEARS, I had to tell a computer voice that I wanted the ?Electronic? department, and then a teenage sales person answered, but he didn?t know if his store had any VCR/DVDs in stock. Those guys stand about 5 feet away from their shelves of video players, and he didn?t bother looking. I don?t think he knew what a VCR/DVD was. He tried to get me to buy something that he looked up on his computer screen. This was obviously a commission salesman, and he was trying to talk me into buying anything over the phone so he could make his commission.

Now I?ve got to try K-Mart and Radio Shack.

Fred, if you happen to know a specific manufacturer (LG, Panasonic, etc.) you're looking for, you may be able to go their website(s) and research what you want there, and after you come up with a specific model number they'll often be able to tell you what stores in your area have one in stock. If it's a big chain such as Best Buy, the store's website should also be able to tell you which stores in your area (if any) have the device. I did this several months ago when I was looking for a new LG DVD/VCR.

ARGGGG!

I finally got through to the local BESTBUY. The teenage lady sales clerk assured me that a VCR/DVD recorder will NOT record DVDs off of TV. She said, ?In order to record a DVD off of TV, you have to do that on your computer.?

I did not argue with the lady, I just asked her to tell me what VCR/DVDs they have in stock.

She asked someone else and got back to me.

They have NO VCR/DVD units in stock.

I know you put less than zero stock in anything I might post, but you obviously have access to the internet. Most large chains have websites. Might I suggest you do a google search and look at the players available that way. I know Best Buy has an option on their sight to request store pickup. You don't necessarily have to purchase on line if you are worried about credit card security or you don't use credit cards. But it may narrow your search and save you time & gas money.

Just a thought.

Fred,

Have you tried Amazon? They have the combo recorders you are looking for at good prices and they have various shipping options.

I've done 99% of my holiday shopping the last few years with Amazon and couldn't be happier.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_17?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dvdandvcrcombo&sprefix=dvdandvcrcombo

Thank you very much. I think that?s what I will have to do. This is a small town, and most of the stores sell cheap and simple stuff. The local Sam?s Club doesn?t even sell VCR/DVDs anymore, and a few of the other stores carry only one cheap brand of Magnavox.

The last Magnavox I bought (the only Magnavox I ever bought) would not play my finalized DVDs that I recorded on my Panasonic, so I returned it and decided to never buy anything again made by Magnavox. My Sony DVD player will play those DVDs so I know the DVDs are ok.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> I mean, are you sick and tired of calling a store or a company and getting a recording with a complex press 1, 2, 3 menu?

Many answering systems have at least 6 options, which is tough for people who can?t count beyond 1. Also, 5/4 of Americans don?t understand fractions.

> Are you fed up with stores trying to push Blu-Ray machines, while all you want is a DVD/VCR recorder?

>

> Are you angry because you can't even call a local store to find out what items they have in stock, because you keep getting the store's recording, and if you finally reach a real person, they have no idea what items are in stock in their store?

>

> Does your 911 operator put you on hold when you call up to report a man with a gun breaking into your home?

Well, I experienced the 911 situation first hand ? because I was the guy with the gun breaking into a store. All I wanted was a DVD/VCR combo. So this covers your second and third complaint as well.

> Does the person you finally reach on the telephone speak with such a foreign accent, you can't understand what they are saying?

This happens every day at work, whenever I call one of my colleagues in the mathematics department.

> When you finally reach a real human on the phone, is there a 3 second delay in each side of your conversation... which means they are talking to you from India?

The person is not necessarily in India. More than likely, they are simply text-messaging with someone they feel is more important than you.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote} The last Magnavox I bought (the only Magnavox I ever bought) would not play my finalized DVDs that I recorded on my Panasonic, so I returned it and decided to never buy anything again made by Magnavox.

Although I've had some positive experiences with Magnavox products where I use to work, I'm not doubting the problems you had.

However, if you want to avoid Magnavox you'd better plan on also avoiding other former great American brands like Emerson, Sylvania, and GE, not to mention some well known European brands like Philips. All them are made by the same company, Funai Electronics, which sells under something like two dozen different brand names.

Although Funai is a Japanese company most of their electronics are outsourced to whoever gives them the lowest bid and that's usually China. While there may be cosmetic differences on the outside, the electronics are always the same regardless of what name is on the box.

You'd be better off spending a few more bucks and sticking with Panasonic.

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> I suggest boycotting big box stores altogether and shopping at local, family-owned businesses.

Well, I live in a strange place where the big chain stores dominate the market, and most of the local consumers don?t know anything about electronics. I don?t think there is any local mom and pop electronics store, or anything other than Walmart, Kmart, a small Bestbuy, Sam's Club, and Sears. These stores are packed with thousands of people, and they sell the cheapest units. When they stop working, the customers throw them away and go down and buy the latest cheapest unit. And the stores here are currently trying to phase out VHS/DVD units. Bestbuy has none, and Sam?s Club has none.

The nearest big city is 4 hours drive away, in the blowing snow, and it?s too dangerous to go there at this time of year. So it looks like I?m going to have to order something over the internet.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> Thanks for the information. Panasonic has its own problems, but in the long run, the one I have now has lasted a long time, compared to other brands Ive had before it.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've stuck with Panasonic and Toshiba over the years and have had great success with both of brands.

I really do think you should look at amazon and another online store I recommend [overstock.com] Both offer great deals, fast and cheap or free shipping and depending what state you're in no sales tax.

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> I suggest boycotting big box stores altogether and shopping at local, family-owned businesses.

icon_smile_clap.gif

Really.

The original complaint was "there's no personal customer service" and the responses sent the poor guy to internet shopping.

I don't buy the idea "there are no stores like that around me". Why not travel? I once drove to another city 80 miles away to buy the TV I wanted because the big box stores only carried inferior models of that brand. They answered their phone, were helpful and I kept my dollars circulating locally.

If you don't like the way business is conducted, why not reward those you feel DO provide service?

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}

> Why not travel? I once drove to another city 80 miles away to buy the TV I wanted

Thanks for the tip, but the nearest city is 200 miles away, 4 hours drive away in the summer, up to 8 hours drive away in the winter, and somewhere along the route the highway might be closed due to snow. Right now there are several feet of snow on the ground, it?s 9? outside and I?d have to go through a mountain pass where it?s -5?.

Good morning Fred, and happy New Year!

I do not know exactly where you live or about what bigger metropolis you live near, but if you are having trouble finding the store that you can 1) trust, and 2) get the product you want, then I might have a solution for you.

Late 2009 my wife and I were in the market (finally) for a big flat screen tv. I went everywhere and just did not trust anyone who worked at the big box stores. I almost bought one at Best Buy, but in the end, a friend at work suggested I try Tech For Less. This is a company that purchases equipment from big box stores that either have not sold yet or the product has been discontinued and the big box stores can not sell them. Well anyway I went online and did a search for the tv I wanted and they had the exact model for more than $200.00 less than Best Buy. The only difference is that the model at Best Buy was the 2010 model and Tech For less was selling the 2009 model. Almost the same tv.

They have a store here in Colorado Springs where I live so I went over there to see what they were all about. I made an appointment to speak with a person there. He was very polite and I found out that he had worked for years at Panasonic. So he knew what he was talking about. He knew all the gimicks that the manufacturers' used and also how the big box stores rip people off. He was also instrumental in helping me pick out yet another tv, not the one I had originally decided to purchase.

In the end I saved close to $300.00 off what I would end up buying at Best Buy. And to top it off the model I ended up getting WAS a 2010 model after all. This guy I spoke with really saved me a ton of money. Luckily they have a store here in the Springs. Although they have excellent online / telephone support people. So I would definitely check them out.

www.techforless.com

Hop this works for you!

Rey

Edited by: fxreyman on Jan 1, 2011 10:18 AM

I don?t get it.

It?s like a Twilight Zone episode out here where I live. It?s as if the most stupid people on earth have been bused into this place and put to work in the local stores.

I called the ?merchandise pickup? department of my local Sears store, and the 17 year old kid who answered the phone could not tell me where in the store his department was located. He finally told me to come into the store and ask someone at a cash register and they would direct me to his department.

I asked him if his department was located near the front door, the side door, or the back door, and he didn?t know which was the front, side, or back of the store.

I called the local BestBuy store yesterday. I asked the young sales clerk who answered the phone if they had any VCR-DVD combo units in the store, and she didn?t know. I told her I wanted a VCR-DVD unit to record movies off of TV and she said I couldn?t record movies with a VCR-DVD unit. She said I could record movies onto DVD only with my computer. She said VCR-DVD units were used only for copying tapes over to DVD.

I kept asking her if they had any VCR-DVD units in the store, on stock on a shelf in the store. She finally asked another clerk and she said, ?No we don?t.?

I called the electronics department of the local Sears store and I asked if they had any VCR-DVD units in stock, and the young sales clerk didn?t know what ?in stock? meant.

I asked him if he had any units on a shelf inside the store that I could come in and look at, and he didn?t know. I think he didn't know what a "unit" was. I finally called it a "machine", a "device".

I know for a fact that the electronics department telephone is only 5 feet away from their shelf where they usually keep their DVD and VCR-DVD units, but I had to ask him if he would ?go look? to see if they actually had any units in the store. He said he could ?order anything? and he tried to talk me into ordering a JVC unit, but I told him I wanted to physically look at the unit if they had any in the store. He finally went to look, and he came back and said they had no units in the store.

This whole town is set up for people to go into stores, look around, buy whatever they see available on a shelf, and ask no questions about it. No one in any store in this town knows the answer to any questions, except for the price of the items on the shelves.

I often go into stores and search for older clerks. Someone who might know what I?m talking about. But there aren?t any. Everyone is under 30, and most are under 25. Many are under 21. I know that because the ones who are under 21 can?t sell alcohol to customers in the local Walmart and Safeway stores.

There used to be an older guy who worked at the local Radio Shack Store, but he?s gone, and the young kids who work there now don?t know what a ?pre-amp? is. They don?t know what RCA cables are. I ask if they have any double-A batteries but they don?t know, but they do know how to show me to the battery department so I can look over the selection of batteries. They only know the price of the merchandise they have inside the store.