Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
traceyk65

von Sternberg Monday

Just saw there's going to be a von Sternberg night Monday! How did I miss that?? Excited to see Shanghai Express and Morocco and also Shanghai Gesture. I do wish they'd show some of the silents that just came out on dvd--I'd love to see Underworld or Docks of New York--the preveiws Ive seen look gorgeous! He even makes Emil Jannings look good.

Edited by: traceyk65 on Dec 31, 2010 2:24 PM

Beautiful cinematography and set designs in all his movies. Seems like they're filmed in dungeons somewhere or in someone's nightmare. Love the way his movies take you to places like that. The castle in The Scarlett Empress and the nightclub in The Shanghai Gesture are probably the best examples of that.

He also knew how to shoot Dietrich and make her look like a great seductress. I never found her appealing until I saw the films she made with von Sternberg and saw the way he filmed her face and the lighting he used on her.

I wonder why they keep showing ?Morocco?, but they never show ?Dishonored? (1931), which is an excellent film? I have an old tape I made of it off TCM (or maybe AMC) years ago. Also, ?Blonde Venus? (1932) used to air years ago, but I haven?t seen it on the air in maybe 8 or so years. The same with ?The Devil Is a Woman? (1935).

?Crime and Punishment? (1935) is a very good film and fairly rare, but TCM will air it Monday night. A ?must see? and a ?must record?. ?The Shanghai Express? (1932) is always very good to see, and it will be on Monday night too. Lots of good train scenes. Looks just like China, but IMDB says it was filmed at the "Santa Fe Railroad Depot - 1170 W. 3rd Street, San Bernardino, California, USA".

I wonder why ?An American Tragedy? (1931) is never shown? There are some excerpts from it on YouTube.

I really enjoyed Crime and Punishment. The last time TCM showed it I only saw the last half or so and this time I saw the whole movie. Very moving and Peter was just great in it. Some of the other actors didn't fit so well (i.e. too American,, I wasn't expecting Russians of course but someone more European like Peter), but I felt Arnold was great in his part.

I also saw the entire The Shanghai Gesture for the first time. I just finished reading the auto-bio from Gene. Now Gene just looks great in the movie (she moved up in my ranking of Hollywood beauties), but her acting in some of the scenes was just bad. Ok, one could say that was done on purpose because she was a drug addict (well in the book at least while in the movie she was more of a drunk), but still, the scene were she goes to Omar's apartment and than whines is just bad. She didn't have a lot of experience and it clearly showed.

But her gowns (done by her husband), and her look was just killer.

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Jan 4, 2011 9:43 PM

"Morocco" is still an daring movie- the beauty of the two leads and the sexual charge of their encounter- Dietrich in that tuxedo is an icon for the ages. Interesting how Cooper falls in love with her while she is wearing male drag.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> I wonder why they keep showing ?Morocco?, but they never show ?Dishonored? (1931), which is an excellent film? I have an old tape I made of it off TCM (or maybe AMC) years ago. Also, ?Blonde Venus? (1932) used to air years ago, but I haven?t seen it on the air in maybe 8 or so years. The same with ?The Devil Is a Woman? (1935).

Morocco and Blonde Venus on the Marlene Dietrich Glamour collection and the others have not been released on DVD for region 1 (though you can get them for regions 2 and 4, which is why I bought a region-free dvd player ). The Scarlet Empress is also available on dvd in the US. Does that sort of thing have anything to do with it?

> {quote:title=joefilmone wrote:}{quote}

> "Morocco" is still an daring movie- the beauty of the two leads and the sexual charge of their encounter- Dietrich in that tuxedo is an icon for the ages. Interesting how Cooper falls in love with her while she is wearing male drag.

And of course the kiss...and Madonna thought she was soooo risque for kissing Britney Spears a few years ago. Marlene did it in 1930!

> {quote:title=traceyk65 wrote:}{quote}

> Morocco and Blonde Venus on the Marlene Dietrich Glamour collection and the others have not been released on DVD for region 1 (though you can get them for regions 2 and 4, which is why I bought a region-free dvd player ). The Scarlet Empress is also available on dvd in the US. Does that sort of thing have anything to do with it?

I don?t know.

I saw ?Blonde Venus? on TV about 10 years ago, and also ?Dishonored? and ?The Devil Is a Woman?. I think I saw them on TCM. I recorded two of them.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> Impossible! Britney wasn't even born then!

Huh? It was 2003 at some music award show.

>>I wonder why ?An American Tragedy? (1931) is never shown?

I wonder if the rights are tangled up? MGM remade it & probably bought up everything involved (prints, negative, etc.) just as they did with the March/Mamoulian DR JEKYLL & MR HYDE...

But I seem to recall having seen it once many, years ago on late-night TV.

And I do have a fairly good bootleg of it.

Was glad to catch Crime and Punishment, but I was disappointed in it overall (except for Lorre) I read the novel eons ago. It just didnt seem to capture the spirit of the novel to me. Wasnt the pawnbroker a man in the novel? (I cant remember) The film seemed to be set in a limbo time and place. They were dressed in fairly modern garb, but the novel was set in the 1800s. Wasnt really clear WHERE they were either.........

GOOD QUESTION! RO mentions American Tragedy a lot but we never see it. I've read the movie got mixed reviews but Sylvia Sidney is great in it........(in the Shelley Winters role......)

No, it was Paramount that remade Tragedy as A Place in the Sun, as well as the original 30s version........

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}

> Was glad to catch Crime and Punishment, but I was disappointed in it overall (except for Lorre) I read the novel eons ago. It just didnt seem to capture the spirit of the novel to me. Wasnt the pawnbroker a man in the novel? (I cant remember) The film seemed to be set in a limbo time and place. They were dressed in fairly modern garb, but the novel was set in the 1800s. Wasnt really clear WHERE they were either.........

The introduction title in the film states that "The time of our story is any time, the place, any place where human hearts respond to love and hate, pity and terror." I presume that would be why the time frame of the film seems a bit vague.

In the novel, the pawnbroker was a lady (it was a Jeopardy question last week :) ).

Well the movie looks like a mix of time and places and that is somewhat distracting. Lorre is very foreign looking as was his family while other actors could be from NYC. I'm not saying it needed to be set in Russia but maybe they should of pick a time and place, and sticked to that. I wonder if they added this intro after the producers viewed the movie.

> {quote:title=traceyk65 wrote:}{quote}

>

> And of course the kiss...and Madonna thought she was soooo risque for kissing Britney Spears a few years ago. *Marlene did it in 1930!*

I repeat, Britney wasn't alive then... :)

And, Marlene wasn't alive in 2003...

I agree that Crime and Punishment wasn't in the novel's league, but it's almost impossible to do a good film version of Dostoevsky.

And yeah, I've seen the Russian version of The Brothers Karamazov. Didn't work either.

His novels are not about pure action and character. There's a lot more philosophical undercurrent and mood underneath the surface, which can't be captured in a film less than 5 hours long.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=traceyk65 wrote:}{quote}

> >

> > And of course the kiss...and Madonna thought she was soooo risque for kissing Britney Spears a few years ago. *Marlene did it in 1930!*

>

>

> I repeat, Britney wasn't alive then... :)

>

> And, Marlene wasn't alive in 2003...

OK I'm a little slow...not enough sleep lately.