Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Robert Mitchum and The Big Steal

ElCid

This is Mitchum's best movie and Jane Greer is far better than the other actresses they tried to get for her role. Add an excellent performance by William Bendix and you have one of best movies ever made.

Just the right mix of film noir/mystery, romance and comedy. Excellent little tour of Mexico as well.

Unfortunately it is only available as a 10 movie set with some lesser movies.

Should be on DVD with Out of the Past and/or Macao and/or His Kind of Woman.

Wow, Mitchum's best movie is saying a lot. I really enjoy this movie but I like His Kind of Women and Macro more. William Bendix is always a great addition to any noir. But yes The Big Steal is a great mix of noir, mystery, romance and light comedy.

Talking about that drive in Mexico, I just love that part where Mexican workers help them build a bridge out of wood and then Mitch tells them that Bendix will be coming and that they shouldn't help him. All in the name of love of course! Very funny sence.

The Big Steal is a favorite of mine, I first saw it a few years ago late at night, it was part of a run of Mitchum films on TCM. I wouldn't go so far as to call it his best, but it is a very good, entertaining movie, kind of noir lite. All Mitchum fans should really like it, and it might create a few new fans too. I have a DVD of The Big Steal and Illegal (an Edward G Robinson movie, very good too). Both films have commentary and other extras, hope it is still available.

TheCid wrote of *The Big Steal*:

"...one of best movies ever made."

Not, "one of Mitchum's best movies", one of the best movies, ever. I like *The Big Steal,* but I wouldn't go so far as that. I wouldn't even say it's one of Mitchum's best.

However, I do really enjoy it, and I agree with your comments about it. (except for the above.) If we were to compile a list of film noirs that flirt with comedy, I'd have to put T*he Big Steal* right up there.

Now that I am checking my "film library" I realize that I have the 10 movie set (film noir vol 4). That has The Big Steal/ Illegal DVD. If you like, check Amazon or Netflix for just the one dvd , but really the 10 movie package is very good, and a "steal" for the price. I don't think there is a bad film in the bunch.

> {quote:title=TheCid wrote:}{quote}

> This is Mitchum's best movie and Jane Greer is far better than the other actresses they tried to get for her role. Add an excellent performance by William Bendix and you have one of best movies ever made.

I'm a big Mitchum fan, and I enjoy the film very much. But, Mitchum made at least 8 or 10 films that are way better than *The Big Steal*.

As Miss Wonderly suggests, it would be a strong contender for best noir comedy, but thgose are pretty rare.