Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[B]1939: HOLLYWOOD'S GREATEST YEAR - DAY BY DAY - as it happens!!![/B]

filmlover

1939 was Hollywood's Golden Year. Starting *tomorrow*, you will be able to experience the year as it happened, day by day. I recently got 300+ newspaper pages from 1939 and I want to share the film articles, ads, gossip and reviews from January 1939 through December of that year with you.

_You, in return, I hope, will discuss here some of the stories, etc. that appear. Believe me, there will be some that will surprise you._

I will use our present 2011 date to match that date in 1939 (e.g., I will run January 5, 1939 on January 5, 2011).

Every day has interesting news, and each week seems to have some film classic opening in that monumental year. (Remember, this is the year of Beau Geste, Juarez, Stagecoach, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Wizard of Oz, Dodge City, and so many more!) It may look to start slow on January 2nd, but do remember that was a Monday in 1939, and, like today, the bigger ads came out on Friday.

(Two notes:

1. there are no Sundays and occasionally a holiday won't have a page.

2. I know some will hope to see ads of GWTW. However, though there are a number of mentions of it during its filming in 1939, the movie itself did not go into general release until early 1940, so no ads from it, sorry. )

Since today is January 1st, please let me wish all of you a very happy...1939! Come back tomorrow and every day for a lot of film history you never knew, but get to experience now for the frst time because - as they used to say - YOU ARE THERE!

filmlover

p.s. -- Just to whet your appetite, here are two minor examples from later in the year...

*In the following, you may think, "Yes, I knew about this." But, remember, this is _1939_ ...twelve years before the film got made AND with Robert Taylor still as the star!*

5313680082_8e4d97fb71_z.jpg

*And a movie theater ad for a film that was on TCM this morning:*

5313680286_3e37186e17_z.jpg

Okay, here we go with the start of the year. (Note: I have enlarged the size of the item in order for you to be able to read the text. Also, on occasion, I have rearranged columns in order to fit within the confines of the space here.)

*_Monday, January 2, 1939_*

5316248428_f6f6c27be7_z.jpg

5315616522_72ce560024_b.jpg

5315617716_bfd069d84b_b.jpg

5315617418_3862becca3_b.jpg

5315617096_cda6c520ec_z.jpg

5315022331_dcf28d7639_b.jpg

Peter,

Great idea for a thread. Ms. Stanwyck didn't give up her ranch estate in the Valley when she married Robert Taylor.

Like Joel McCrea and Randolph (cue chorus) Scott, she listened to Will Rogers advice to invest in land in the San Fernando Valley. She had several parcels, the biggest being the ranch she owned in Northridge.

She moved there during her divorce with Frank Fay. Her agent at the time was Zeppo Marx.

The property was 140 acres and had a house designed by pioneering African-American architect, Paul Revere Williams.

The house was 6,000 square feet and sported two stories, a three car garage, four fireplaces and a swimming pool and tennis court.

Zeppo Marx had the adjoining property.

She later sold it to Jack Oakie and a few years ago, the City of Los Angeles paid 3.35 million dollars to acquire the house and ten acres of land. It will remain a park and not be sold to developers.

Like McCrea and Scott, she got wealthy not only from her film career but from the additional land she owned and leased in the San Fernando Valley.

Edited by: lzcutter for more history.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> I can't wait to see what happened on my birthdate:

> January 18th.

Plenty, CM. Plenty. But you should say, "happens" as I hope all will feel like they are seeing history as it happens. : )

This is a wonderful idea for a thread, filmlover!

And only a quarter for the early show! :)

FYI: Paul Revere Williams created several homes for film stars as well as a memorial

for Al Jolson!

Learn more about this wonderful man at :http://www.paulrwilliamsproject.org/exhibition/

*Paul Revere Williams. I had never heard of him. I now want to learn all about him.*

CM,

He was one of the leading architects of Southern California. He designed the Theme Building at LAX (the tripod like building with the restaurant at the top), the La Concha Motel and the Guardian Angel Church in Las Vegas as well as a post-war housing development on the Westside of Las Vegas back in the 1950s called Berkley Square.

He was the architect of many homes for stars including Frank Sinatra, Lucy and Desi and Barbara Stanwyck among many others.. He was also the first certified African-American architect west of the Mississippi when he graduated from USC in the 1920s.

His children, especially his daughter, is helping preserve his legacy and has published a coffee table book of his work.

For more info on Williams

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Williams_%28architect%29

Just in case anyone is wondering, all the theater listings are for Minneapolis. (But maybe the "Gopher Theater" gave that away.)

Though I haven't lived there in twenty years, some of the theaters still existed as film houses when I left - notably The Edina, The Uptown and The Campus. But I can't believe so many of them were showing different Mickey Rooney films at the same time.

*Boy's Town*, *Captain's Courageous*, *Out West With The Hardy's*, *Judge Hardy's Children*. There's even one that didn't make it on TCM last month - *Hoosier School Boy*. But I shouldn't be too surprised. Carvel is a lot like what I imagine "Lake Wobegon" to be like.

Kyle In Hollywood

Thanks, SueSue and Tracey, for joining in.

And, Kyle, thanks for mentioning Minneapolis. I had it in my original drafts of the opening post but I rewrote it so many times up to yesterday's date it got lost. Gad! Ah, well, it would definitely be obvious in future listings where stars come to play the city. And I had noticed that the Mick was popular on this first day but I didn't even spot that he was in 5 of the films that were on at the same time. 1939 was the first year of a 3-year run where he was the top box-office draw in America.

"Learn more about this wonderful man at :http://www.paulrwilliamsproject.org/exhibition/" -

< ( SueSue Applegate ) >

"His children, especially his daughter, is helping preserve his legacy and has published a coffee table book of his work." - < ( lzcutter ) >

SueSue...Lynn, thank you for this information. As soon as I have a smidgen of time, I will look into both places you cited. I'm amazed, happy and proud his vision is stamped on the landscape of many places.

"But you should say, 'happens' as I hope all will feel like they are seeing history as it happens." - < ( Filmlover ) >

You got it. I will watch history unfold.

And here's your morning news for *_Tuesday, January 3, 1939_*:

5320262228_e825d8e5a8_b.jpg

*In case you think you have never heard of Lorraine Johnson, you have; her name got changed to Larraine Day.*

*And, obviously, John Paul Jones didn't get made with Cagney, but I recall reading it was a pet project of his. It did get made with Robert Stack twenty years later.*

*Speaking of Cagney, you'll see an ad below for the stage production of "I'd Rather Be Right" with George M. Cohan. "Yankee Doodle Dandy" fans will recall this as the opening section of the movie.*

5319661163_f27885cb01_z.jpg

5320262730_2943560a3d.jpg

*"Dish night" was so popular at theaters, there were ads you will see later that you will need a magnifying glass to even see there was a movie mentioned. For those who would like to read more about "dish night," here a link to an article:*

http://beauxmondesdesigns.blogspot.com/2009/02/dish-night-at-movie-theaters.html

5319821751_0048ae84e3_z.jpg

5319661227_b340b2622c.jpg

*I thought I would add in the below since Danny Kaye played Red Nichols in the 1959 Paramount movie, "The Five Pennies":*

5320262574_e9d5ee95ea.jpg

*Edited by: filmlover on Jan 3, 2011 4:45 PM because I forgot to mention that Gilbert Roland did marry Constance Bennett a few months later.*

I wonder what the dishes looked like? My grandma may have had some, if theaters in OH did the dish night promotions as well...

Have to comment on yesterday's but on Dietrich and Howard Hughes (I wasn;t gonna, cause people might think I'm obsessed, but then I just had to)--I have read several Dietrich bios and have never come across this bit of gossip. I thought she was with either Jean Gabin or possibly James Stewart (or Eric Maria Remarque or Mercedes DeAcosta or...well, she certainly got around, did Marlene) at that point?

Tracey,

The link I provided shows some of the ware.

http://beauxmondesdesigns.blogspot.com/2009/02/dish-night-at-movie-theaters.html

Here's another one that has pics of dishes with theaters stamped underneath:

http://www.alleewillis.com/awmok/kitschenette/2010/09/01/dish-night-at-the-movies/

As to Dietrich/Hughes, it says it had been going on for a few weeks at that point. Maybe that is all lasted. (And if you thought Dietrich-Hughes thing was news, wait until you read some other items coming up. I found so many things that are fascinating.)

Given the numerous affairs Dietrich and Hughes were involved in (biographer Larry Swindell states Howard took Carole Lombard's virginity, although he couldn't mention Hughes by name because he was still alive at the time his Lombard bio was written), I can't say I'm that surprised those two got together...if they indeed did.

After seeing *Rochelle Hudson* in her brief stint in *Dr Bull*, I did a double take on the note about her on Jan 3 stating that she was 24 years old. That would make her 18 (possibly even 17) when *Dr Bull* was released. I had to go back to the movie (still on DVR) and marvel how mature she looks. Amazing!

*Filmlover*, this is a great idea, I'll be stopping here on a daily basis. I'm so glad you're doing this.

Good morning, it's *_January 4th, 1939_*:

(Bit of a slow newsday but tomorrow is going to be excellent, a day that will have an item that will interest MissGoddess.)

*Opening day for the classic "The Dawn Patrol" (at least, it is in Minneapolis). LOL, what a terrible tagline..."with the laughter of youth on their lips they shoot it out with death":*

5322152563_3ca251f0fa_b.jpg

5322756866_44bef29794_b.jpg

*And at the Uptown, they are running an Our Gang comedy today...ties in nicely for today's TCM showing*:

5322757016_4870529faf_b.jpg

*Note in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th ads down, another giveaway: dresserware*

5322152757_3767c83d5d_b.jpg

*"To the Victor" was a British film from 1938, also known as "Owd Bob" and it is supposed to be quite a good film. John Loder went on to marry Hedy Lamarr, Margaret Lockwood would be a major British star (several months after this was released in England, she did "The Lady Vanishes" for Alfred Hitchcock), and the director, Robert Stevenson, later did a number of films for Walt Disney, including "Mary Poppins."*

5322153757_9490c9d8aa_b.jpg

It's *_Thursday, January 5th, 1939_*.

*And so it starts:*

5325548995_aa8fec659d_b.jpg

*In other news:*

5325550003_bfd3f8fd25_z.jpg

*Keep in mind when reading the following, Betty Grable was still just a newcomer. What possible future could she have if Paramount lets her go?*

5325550235_926d7eea4d_b.jpg

5326157426_bcef726e9c.jpg

5325549635_ba9beb55d6_b.jpg

5326156282_201807f6b7.jpg

5325549797_306505e1cc.jpg

Archived