Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[B]1939: HOLLYWOOD'S GREATEST YEAR - DAY BY DAY - as it happens!!![/B]

The Betty Grable item just floored me. She was practically the face of the 40's, so it's strange to think of her being almost written off like that. If this is the kind of stuff you have in store, count me as a faithful reader.

Dougie, what I like is that when I read some pieces, it sends me hunting through the internet for further info on what happened after that. The Betty Grable story was just such a case. I found out when her Paramount contract expired, she quit acting. And then...well, you will have to do some searching yourself. ; )

It also sent me on a search for the below-named Bubbles Salmon Schinasi. With a name like Bubbles Salmon, you have to be curious. What I found surprised me:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2005/nov/16/guardianobituaries.booksobituaries

Edited by: filmlover on Jan 5, 2011 11:33 AM

filmlover - this is a gem of a thread! I had no idea that the Dionne Quintuplets made movies!

Only problem for me will be keeping up - there are so many good ongoing threads. But I sure will give it a good try!

PS - they had a Fan Perspective last night (a new version to me) featuring you and the Maven, plus two other fan programmers. Very classy version, and good to see you both doing us proud.

Stepping back in time, it is now *Friday, January 6th, 1939*:

5328945445_b77e42f653_b.jpg

5329556778_64675a1676_b.jpg

*This is the very first in the "Blondie" series:*

5328945657_c4f61c9329_b.jpg

*Notice the "Campus Confessions" film mentioned yesterday in the Betty Grable article is playing below. (And in the section under that, you can find another Grable film, "This Way, Please.")*

5329556676_9a7d13d976_z.jpg

*In tiny print, several of the below ads list Saturday's special matinees. It is interesting to spot "Mr. Moto Takes A Chance" and "Mysterious Mr. Moto" among them.*

5329556572_427bab5222_b.jpg

Well, the paperboy just delivered the paper. Let's see what is going on for *Saturday, January 7, 1939*.

Oh, no, not another remake. Can't Hollywood leave well enough alone?

5332274247_cd6e902395_z.jpg

(LOL, of course, they are talking about the classic "His Girl Friday" as "The Front Page" remake.)

In the below item, you may recognize the names. These were the people portrayed by James Cagney, Doris Day, and Cameron Mitchell in the 1955 film, "Love Me or Leave Me."

5332274801_083e3fc378_z.jpg

5332888902_f987e6ae8a_b.jpg

5332889274_ae8a247e81_b.jpg

5332274605_bee0947f24_b.jpg

"Down On The Farm" with Spring Byington as part of "The Jones Family" sent me on a quick check of the data base. It seems there were about SIXTEEN of them during the late 30's, early 40's. Somehow, they were under my radar, but I'd love to see some of them.

I don't recall "The Jones Family" at all (or else my memory is fading).

Looking back, the one thing that really surprises me is that nobody wondered about the Stan Laurel item with talk of him being arrested. I did a little checking and if we thought the Battling Bogarts were something (Bogie and Mayo Methot), read this (part of it even talks about Laurel's wife accusing him of planning to bury her alive in their backyard):

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedailymirror/2009/01/movie-comedian.html

*And I had noticed that the Mick was popular on this first day but I didn't even spot that he was in 5 of the films that were on at the same time. 1939 was the first year of a 3-year run where he was the top box-office draw in America.*

And since those Motion Picture Herald boxoffice charts polled exhibitors not for the calendar year, but for the 12 months of Sept 1 - Aug 31, Rooney was already probably at the top, being that he was No.3 for 1938 (that is: Sept 1, 1937 - Aug. 31 1938).

I found the enigmatic mention of Ty Power and Shirley Teemple in the desert as rather cryptic (was there an Aimee Semple McPherson type episode that the studio squashed? lol.

Great idea, this thread. Still wearing my spiffy 1938 model tux, tails and all, I got at Bullocks-Wilshire last week, along with last year's top hat and white gloves from Ohrbach's.

Edited by: Arturo on Jan 7, 2011 6:53 PM

Edited by: Arturo on Jan 7, 2011 6:55 PM

RE: Jan.3 (sorry, just now seeing this thread):

Interesting one of the adds for GIRLS ON PROBATION, the one for the Homewood Theater, has the stars being Jane Bryan and Donald Reagan.

The troubles with biographical films must refer to, among others, SUEZ, in which Fox settled out of court with the De Lesseps estate, if I remember correctly.

Rochelle Hudson had replaced Janet Gaynor in the remake of WAY DOWN EAST, where Fox had hoped to reteam Gaynor and Henry Fonda, but Gaynor was unable to complete it due to illness I believe. 20th fairly quickly relegated Hudson to it B unit.

Notable is the re-release (I guess-there's an add for it) of A MAN'S CASTLE, from 1933.

Edited by: Arturo on Jan 7, 2011 7:34 PM

*The Betty Grable item just floored me. She was practically the face of the 40's, so it's strange to think of her being almost written off like that. If this is the kind of stuff you have in store, count me as a faithful reader.*

Betty Grable had been around several years by 1939, since her teens, and was soon to be considered washed up in Hollywood. Later that year, she scored a hit on Broadway, and Darryl Zanuck signed her to a contract at 20th Century Fox. However, she was allowed to remain in the play until Alice Faye had a reported appendectomy in mid 1940, and unable to start DOWN ARGENTINE WAY. Zanuck summoned Betty to take the lead in this Technicolor musical, and the rest is history. She became a hit (as did Carmen Miranda in her Hollywood debut), and was on her way to becoming the top female boxoffice star of the 40s.

*I had no idea that the Dionne Quintuplets made movies!*

The Dionne's made several films in the late 30s, from 1936's THE COUNTRY DOCTOR, at Fox, the home of those popular moppets Shirley Temple and Jane Withers.

The Jones Family was 20th Century Fox' answer to MGMs Hardys. Although in my mind, both series started around the same time, in 1937 I think.

Some of the Jones Family and Quints films are shown ocassionally on FMC (let's hope Octomom and her brood don't get their own series of films).

Edited by: Arturo on Jan 7, 2011 7:43 PM

Today is January 8th, 1939, and as it is a Sunday back then, no articles and ads from that group. However, I did find the following that was done for then:

5336260917_ce2591be33_b.jpg

I also thought it might be interesting to see some of the theatres from back then that were mentioned in the movie ads that have been running. *(Articles and ads will be back tomorrow.)*

The Bijou and the Orpheum:

5335918543_9b72723818_z.jpg

The State:

5336577092_fb6a401cbf_z.jpg

Crowds outside the State:

5336532236_d1a0a4d0eb_z.jpg

Interior of the State:

5336532152_c3e6a138fe.jpg

The Gopher:

5335918623_61700ebd3d.jpg

The Lyceum:

5335919007_e0e66a1c00_z.jpg

The Century:

5336532640_9a2d213a46_z.jpg

The pit of the Century:

5336532780_776f86d682.jpg

Edited by: filmlover on Jan 8, 2011 1:14 PM

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> I don't recall "The Jones Family" at all (or else my memory is fading).

>

> Looking back, the one thing that really surprises me is that nobody wondered about the Stan Laurel item with talk of him being arrested. I did a little checking and if we thought the Battling Bogarts were something (Bogie and Mayo Methot), read this (part of it even talks about Laurel's wife accusing him of planning to bury her alive in their backyard):

>

> http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedailymirror/2009/01/movie-comedian.html

The newspaper story says:

"The couple reconciled and Illiana began 1939 with a day in jail for the reckless driving charge, soon followed by an arrest for being drunk and disorderly in a nightclub "while loudly discussing the Russian situation with herself."

By March 1939, Illiana renewed her divorce case. She charged that Stan's account of their fighting was invented to avoid a drunk driving conviction that would cost him his movie contract. In fact, she said, on the night in question he planned to bury her alive in the backyard of their San Fernando Valley home. She said she was rescued by friends and that Stan was coming after her when he was arrested for driving on the wrong side of the road."

That Jackie Coogan story just kills me--how his mother could have taken all his money when he earned it...he won that lawsuit didn't he? Didn't they pass a Jackie Coogan law or something requiring parents to set up trust funds for their child stars? I think Shirley Temple was in a similar position when she got to be 18 as well.

Yes, you are correct, there is a Coogan Law. Here's a link to the Screen Actors Guild page about the law.

http://www.sag.org/content/coogan-law

And keep watching these daily stories throughout the year (1939's year, that is). There will be followups.

By the way, does anyone besides me have trouble of thinking of Jackie Coogan being married to Betty Grable? Uncle Fester married to the pin-up queen?

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

>

> By the way, does anyone besides me have trouble of thinking of Jackie Coogan being married to Betty Grable? Uncle Fester married to the pin-up queen?

If I had had anything in my mouth when I read that, I would have spit it out!