Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[B]1939: HOLLYWOOD'S GREATEST YEAR - DAY BY DAY - as it happens!!![/B]

filmlover

Thanks again for doing this. It's so fun. I was struck this time by some of the usages that no longer seem current. Louella referred to "The Life of Knute Rockne" as a "thriller", which we would take to have an entirely different meaning today. "Four Daughters" is called in the ad "A 5 AAAAA picture", whereas we're so used to the multiple * ratings today.

Glad you are enjoying it.

I was just looking up Jane Bryan, who is mentioned for the cast but she wasn't in the film (neither was Rosemary Lane). Jane Bryan (aka Jane O'Brian) married Justin Dart in 1939. Dart had married into the Walgreen family via Ruth Walgreen, but divorced her in 1939. (Dart took over United Drug Company, which included Rexall.) Jane Bryan didn't appear in "Knute Rockne All American" but she and Justin were very good friends with Ronald Reagan and later encouraged him to run for President.

And, obviously, "A Cavalcade of Hollywood" became "Hollywood Cavalcade."

Regarding John Barrymore's estate, today the House of Blues on Sunset Blvd. sits on his old estate. When I first arrived in the City of Angels some thirty-odd years ago, it was a restaurant called Barrymore's. The house nor the restaurant ever sat on Sunset Blvd but was below and accessible by a set of stairs which I think still holds true to day.

Regarding Harold Lloyd becoming a potentate of the Shriners, the article makes it sound like the Shriners and the Masons are the same group. Really? Or is it a case of over-reaching by the reporter?

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> Regarding John Barrymore's estate, today the House of Blues on Sunset Blvd. sits on his old estate. When I first arrived in the City of Angels some thirty-odd years ago, it was a restaurant called Barrymore's. The house nor the restaurant ever sat on Sunset Blvd but was below and accessible by a set of stairs which I think still holds true to day.

>

> Regarding Harold Lloyd becoming a potentate of the Shriners, the article makes it sound like the Shriners and the Masons are the same group. Really? Or is it a case of over-reaching by the reporter?

Lz, thanks for the info. Naturally, I know where the House of Blues is, but I didn't know that was the general area for Barrymore's estate.

Further research indicates that the Barrymore estate in the article may have been the Windsor Estate (located in Windsor Square) which Barrymore shared with his then-wife, Dolores Costello.

He had a couple of estates throughout his Hollywood career including the one where House of Blues is today.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> Regarding Harold Lloyd becoming a potentate of the Shriners, the article makes it sound like the Shriners and the Masons are the same group. Really? Or is it a case of over-reaching by the reporter?

Shriners are part of the Masons. I always think of them as the ones with the funny hats - driving tiny cars in parades. Also, can't forget their hospitals.

PS - Happy Birthday!

> {quote:title=cinemafan wrote:}{quote}

> Shriners are part of the Masons. I always think of them as the ones with the funny hats - driving tiny cars in parades. Also, can't forget their hospitals.

>

Their hats are very feztive... :)

I stepped out of the TARDIS and picked up the paper of today, *Tuesday, January 17th, 1939*:

5362813911_823d5ebc62_b.jpg

5362813965_9ea15e4c81_z.jpg

5362812995_9480698fec_b.jpg

There was no film made on Niemoller and Muni didn't ever get to play Beethoven).

As to the reference of Fairbanks, they are speaking of the Senior. He wasn't in either rumored film, but he had hoped to be in "The Californian" because Doug, Jr. was considered for the title role. That didn't happen...but "The Californian" did get made. It underwent a title change to "The Mark of Zorro," a remake of a film Fairbanks Sr. starred in in 1920 (plus he did a sequel, "Don Q, Son of Zorro") and starred Tyrone Power, also the son of a famous actor (Tyrone Power, Sr.)

And you may wonder who is this Elsa Maxwell all Hollywood turns out for? She was the queen of party givers, only the best of the best got invited to her parties. She is credited for inventing the scavenger hunt as a party game for society's finest to play.

5362811905_fa26c331ec_b.jpg

5363422726_c85766ff49_b.jpg

5362812601_96f5200f8d_b.jpg

5363423418_422ddf3d21_b.jpg

5363423022_ae50dde8a9_b.jpg

and for more fun:

5363422640_044acfd98c_b.jpg

So, there I was walking through the 1939 World's Fair and came across a little fortune-telling gypsy booth. The little old woman huddled over her crystal ball said, "Though today is *January 18, 1939*, on this day many years in the future I see being born a lovely lady who will be known as *CineMaven*." So, today, I dedicate to her.

(What's amazing is so many of today's film titles describe her life: "Too Hot to Handle," "The Whole Town's Talking," "That Certain Age," "Listen Darling," "Life Begins With Love," "Youth Takes A Fling," "Treasure Island," "Hard to Get," "Heart of the North," "Battle of Broadway," "Rage of Paris," "Speed to Burn," "I Am the Law," "Sweethearts," "Always in Trouble," and, of course, "Girls On Probation." Not to forget the two songs from Paris Honeymoon..."I Have Eyes" and "You're A Sweet Little Headache." )

5366043368_b3d2e9de4e_z.jpg

(By the way, did anybody notice the listing for "Duck Donald"? LOL)

5365431221_73e3550088_b.jpg

5366041670_f909f0a4b8.jpg

5365430431_a4f0cb369e_z.jpg

5365430311_7741147fdd_b.jpg

5366043546_45e94a4c7e_b.jpg

5365429705_b2fa20d279_b.jpg

5366042678_ee5b1b17cf_b.jpg

5365428319_8738f2904a_b.jpg

This is neat stuff, I love the comments on Basil Rathbone and The Hound Of The Baskervilles. And how about Gene Lockhart predicting the future of his 13 year old daughter (did he know there's a Lassie in her future?)

mrroberts, thanks for mentioning that about June Lockhart. I meant to but got sidetracked by other things. I know so many of us remember her from the TV series, but her connection to Lassie goes all the way back to 1945 when she starred in the film, "Son of Lassie."

I wanted to comment about Manhattan Melodrama playing in the Monday, Jan 16th ad. How accessible were "old" movies to theatres? Could they request copies or were they just distributed for replay when the studios chose to do so?

I believe it was the latter, because often you will see a rerelease one-sheet created for the occasion (if some time has passed). However, I have noticed in some of the ads, they will be showing films from 1936 or whenever, so my feeling is that there were theaters that didn't get first-run films, but were getting older films. For example, I can't recall exactly when during 1939, but Hedy Lamarr's Ecstacy is coming up.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> tracey, that's very interesting, especially seeing the Duke of Windsor (aka the ex-King of England), though Elsa Maxwell did hold parties for the Royals. Was there a caption?

It just told who it was and where (Cap de Antilles) and the photographer (which I can;t remember right now.

I was getting my car gassed up and oiled when I decided it was walking distance to the little town of Homewood. Oddly, enough, when I got there, the daily newspaper said today is *Thursday, January 19, 1939*:

5369762980_5c5bb84a2d_b.jpg

5369154997_6eb414543d_b.jpg

5369154825_6a23c72e2b_b.jpg

5369763564_98af9c5da0_b.jpg

5369156389_08144cb5fc_b.jpg

5369156123_3a7e09f8b9_b.jpg

and the last item today I was originally very delighted to find, a star in the making. It was on the back of today's movie page. Now, I am hesitant to run it because of the venom being spilled out against her in another thread.

5369155347_242aa9007a_z.jpg

Fay Wray -- a splendid actress who deserves to be remembered as more than just a "scream queen" -- eventually married another screenwriter, Robert Riskin (who might have married Carole Lombard in the mid-thirties, but wasn't enthusiastic about having children, which Carole wanted; she then turned to one Clark Gable).

Oh, and speaking of Gable, someone asked about "Manhattan Melodrama" and re-releases of films. Studios occasionally re-issued film on weeks they had no new product; also, several theaters in large cities specialized in such fare. I know that on New Year's Day of '39, a New York "revival house" showed the 1933 Lombard film "Brief Moment" with Gene Raymond. Some of the pre-Code films underwent significant cuts to comply with the more stringent practices from Joe Breen's office.

Archived