Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bklynrose

Your favorite movie that came out the year you were born

1958 was my birth year. I also consider it a down year in cinema. "Gigi" would be my favorite film for that particular year. Honorable mentions to "Auntie Mame," "Seperate Tables," "I Want to Live!," and "Mon Uncle". The only good aspect about 1958 is the film industry was preparing all of the great films of 1959 for their release.

By the way, I find it sort of ironic that not one person on this classic film thread has admitted they were born in the classic film year of 1939 nor when talkies became the new rage.

Casablanca. Pretty decent movie. ;-)

Also, Saboteur and Flying Tigers. I really liked Flying Tigers as a kid. Still do.

Gigi would have been my pic that year also, musicals are not my favorite type of pic but I do love that one, also I think if someone was born in 39 they would be proud to tell us all, and have a hard time finding one to pick they all were so good. I'm not to crazy about that saying "age is all in your head" or something like that. But I am 60 now and do feel pretty good and now there is alot you can do to keep looking and feeling good as we age, we not our Mom's sons and daughters so we're lucking to be living in the 21st century, I take it as a blessing.

cat

1969. Sorry, I can't list just one:

*THE WILD BUNCH*

*MY NIGHT AT MAUD?S*

*ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST*

*THE LEARNING TREE*

*ON HER MAJESTY?S SECRET SERVICE*

*THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE*

*ARMY OF SHADOWS*

*MISSISSIPPI MERMAID*

*SWEET SWEETBACK?S BADASS SONG*

*THE ITALIAN JOB*

*ANNE OF A THOUSAND DAYS*

*THE RAIN PEOPLE*

> {quote:title=kingrat wrote:}{quote}

> Hey, Tracey, check out such 1965 films as KING RAT, THE HILL, or, if these outstanding prison camp dramas are too serious, the excellent thriller MIRAGE.

OK. Do they play on TCM?

Well, I was born in the wrong era! I was born in 1994, and I'll have to go with The Lion King, because I'm not a fan of movies made during the last 40 years or so (hence why I post here), but The Lion King is a great animated film imho.

Shane...the best Western ever made and ever will be made...

I was born in 1955 so the best I can think of is "Picnic" starring William Holden and Rosalind Russell. Finally got to see it in widesreen a few years ago.

There is a cartoon short, "Little Audrey Riding Hood", what I took notice was the artist overkill on the background scenes that would had made Walt Disney green with envy, lol. Did he had to draw in 1/2" molding? The sound quality was amazing for 1955.

I found Doc's comments in the "Back to the Future" series about 1955 a bit odd and funny, Doc think there is some cosmic reasoning in him choosing that year. :) Hope its not me!

ROFL, are you the one in the Etrade ad. (assuming you are only 1)

0_61_etrade_blackberry_baby.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Jan 5, 2011 10:21 PM

Several great ones:

The Quiet Man

High Noon

Singin' in the Rain

The Bad and the Beautiful (guilty pleasure)

Hans Christian Andersen

so many more.. Must've been a good year..

Aw, man, now you'll all know how young I am.

Well, 1983 was a crappy year in cinema, IMHO, so there are only 2 films I like from that year--I love them both, but I don't even like any others (that I can think of):

Return of the Jedi and A Christmas Story. Of course if you count short films, I'll say Mickey's Christmas Carol. :D

I'll take my parents year over mine any time: 1958. A much better year for cinema.

LOL, too cute. Return of the Jedi is a treasure of lines, most with the wonderful syntax of Yoda. Poor George Lucas, he should've stopped there. A Christmas Story is a favorite, for except for the radio references, +I+ lived it too!

Yes, Lonesome, I'm guessing you actually have more favorites from 1958. And they would be. . .?

I was born in 1980. I haven't seen a single movie from that year all the way through. Looking at the list though, I'd guess AIRPLANE and RAGING BULL were among the best.

My birth year was 1958. Other than "Gigi," "I Want To Live!" "Auntie Mame," "Seperate Tables," and "South Pacific" what was so great about this particular year in cinema? I have never heard anyone compare the films released in 1958 with the films released in 1939 or 1967. Can you list some titles for us? Please and thank you.

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}

> Aw, man, now you'll all know how young I am.

>

> Well, 1983 was a crappy year in cinema, IMHO, so there are only 2 films I like from that year--I love them both, but I don't even like any others (that I can think of):

>

> Return of the Jedi and A Christmas Story. Of course if you count short films, I'll say Mickey's Christmas Carol. :D

>

Hooray I am not the youngest one on this thread!

Well we are only a year apart. :D

I am also quite fond of ROTJ and Christmas Story.

You are right 58 was a good year for movies

Old Man and the Sea - love Tracy

7th Voyage of Sinbad - who didn't love these when they came out

Touch of Evil

The Vikings - Kirk Douglas

A Night to Remember

etc, etc

> {quote:title=Kinokima wrote:}{quote}

> Hooray I am not the youngest one on this thread!

Yea and I even beat you by 12 years! (1994)

OMG! What has happened to all the old people who used to be on this message board? Are we the only ones left??

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> OMG! What has happened to all the old people who used to be on this message board? Are we the only ones left??

You should just be happy that us youngungs like old movies. ;)

> {quote:title=Kinokima wrote:}{quote}

> You should just be happy that us youngungs like old movies. ;)

You're darn right! Thank God I've gotten of few of my friends interested in the classics...