*On Dangerous Ground*

Runners Up:

*Fixed Bayonets*

*The Hoodlum*

*The Man Who Cheated Himself*

*The Prowler*

*Strangers on a Train*

*Tomorrow Is Another Day*

I neglected to include one of my all-time favorite movies of my birth year of 1958, "Touch of Evil", in the list of movies which are notable.

With that I stand by my statement that 1958 was a down year for cinema. May I also predict that in this upcoming Summer and in the upcoming future will you ever attend a film festival celebrating the films of 1958. I have attended film festivals celebrating the film years 1939 and 1967 for the historical impact the films had on cinema. A few years ago TCM even celebrated the films of 1939 with a month of films from that year But 1958?

> {quote:title=sewannie wrote:}{quote}

> I was born in 1980. I haven't seen a single movie from that year all the way through. Looking at the list though, I'd guess AIRPLANE and RAGING BULL were among the best.

1980 wasn;t a bad year...besides the 2 you named, you have The Empire Strikes Back (the best of the 3, I think), The Blues Brothers, Private Benjamin and the Gods Must Be Crazy.

Of course, it also had Flash Gordon (great soundtrack, really silly movie), The Jazz Singer, Urban Cowboy and Popeye...and don;t forget Heaven's Gate.

I was born in 1990, unfortunately, and not 1934, but my favorite movie from that year would have to be Pretty Woman. I am a huge Julia Roberts and Richard Gere fan.

My mom however was born in '64 where my all time favorite Julie Andrews was Mary Poppins. Another favorite movie of mine. My dad was born in '62 and hands down, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane is the winner for me! I love that movie!

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> OMG! What has happened to all the old people who used to be on this message board? Are we the only ones left??

Oh, we're still here, but we are trying to learn our new smart phones and post where we are in Gowalla or Foursquare so we can remember what we came there for.. ;-)

We are still here Fred.....

The year I made my debut 1941:

"Citizen Kane"

"High Sierra"

"Here Comes Mr. Jordon"

"The Lady Eve"

"The Sea Wolf"

"The Shepherd of the Hills"

"The Strawberry Blonde"

Some of the minor films released that year, but the big one was "Bowery Blitzkrieg" with Leo and Huntz

Fred, some of my very favorite films are from 1941. I'll gladly trade you (films only now) my year of 1956 for your 1941.

There were some good and important films in 1956, but for my personal tastes its a really poor year. I can see why William Powell retired after 1955. I really do like Hitchcock's remake of "The Man Who Knew Too Much", I guess thats my 1956 choice.

By my powers, I hereby declare you to be an "Honorary" 1941 baby with all the privileges accorded us pre war babies..{ That and 2 bucks will get you a small coffee at Starbucks} enjoy.....

My dad bought a brand new 1941 Plymouth, he only had it a short time when Uncle Sam came calling (in early 42 Dad enlisted in the Navy) and he gave the car up.

Edited by: mrroberts on Jan 7, 2011 4:06 PM

Oh man ,I was not aware SHEPPARD OF THE HILLS was made in 1941. SHEPPARD is one of mine and Miss Goddess`s favorites. its now on my list of my birth year favorites, think I`ll get the DVD out later tonite and watch it yet again.

Thanks for the link, Fred. Here are a few more from my birth year (1942):

*Bambi*

*Cat People*

*Holiday Inn*

*Mrs. Miniver*

*Now, Voyager*

*Random Harvest*

*Yankee Doodle Dandy*

My favorites are *Random Harvest* and *Mrs. Miniver*.

Great idea for a thread!

Well my year was 1960.......

Not a great year by any means....just kidding!!!

The Alamo

Butterfield 8

Comanche Station

Elmer Gantry

The Entertainer

Exodus

The Fall of the House of Usher

From the Terrace

The Gallant Hours

The Grass is Greener

Inherit the Wind

The Magnificent Seven

Our Man in Havana

Pollyanna

Psycho

Saturday Night and Sunday Morning

Sergeant Rutledge

Sink the Bismarck!

Spartacus

The Sundowners

Sunrise at Campobello

Swiss Family Robinson

The Time Machine

Tunes of Glory

The Unforgiven

The World of Suzie Wong

And from this list, ( oh goody another list, and please check out my LIST thread on Favorites! )

I would have to pick as my favorite from 1960:

Sink the Bismarck!

You were definitely born in a good year for movies, I was born in 1950 and I know I was going to the movies when I was 10 maybe earlier. The reason I'm sure of this is your favorite movie Sink the Bismark, can you imagine a 10 yr old girl enjoying this movie? Needless to say I didn't and back then you could see 2 movies for just a quarter in bklyn. I would take the neighborhood kids down to the nearest theatre almost every saturday. I still can look back and remember watching that movie and waiting impatiently for the end. funny now not then. Thanks for the look back I have been enjoying movies for a very long time.

cat

ps I love love love Pollyana, watch it every time its on

Edited by: bklynrose on Jan 8, 2011 10:05 AM

It was called THE STORY OF MY LIFE.

My mother and I shared top billing. The doctor was in a supporting role. It took place in a hospital delivery room.

It will be put on DVD later this year, and TCM will help us sell it.

My year was 1982. Some pretty memorable movies...

[blade Runner|http://www.deepfocusreview.com/reviews/bladerunner.asp]

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial

[Fanny & Alexander|http://www.deepfocusreview.com/reviews/fannyandalexander.asp]

[Fitzcarraldo|http://www.deepfocusreview.com/reviews/fitzcarraldo.asp]

[The Thing|http://www.deepfocusreview.com/reviews/thing.asp]

Fuller's White Dog

Just to name a few in 1951

*The Day the Earth Stood Still*

*Strangers On A Train*

*A Christmas Carol*

*The Browning Version*

*The African Queen*

*A Place In the Sun*

*People Will Talk*