Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2011 Additions to the Warner Archive

audreyforever

I thought it would be nice to post ideas throughout the year of films we would like to see appear on the Warner Archive. Personally, I love the multi-DVD sets they have been releasing. Hopefully, Warner Bros. will see these posts to get ideas of what they should release.

Some Ideas:

Warner Bros. WW2 B-Movie Collection

Dangerously They Live (1941)

The Mysterious Doctor (1943)

Escape in the Desert (1945)

Espionage Agent (1939)

This Was Paris (1940)

Underground (1941)

Bogart Double Features- 1935-1939

One Fatal Hour/Crime School (WA Re-Release)

China Clipper/Isle of Fury

The Great O?Malley/Racket Busters

Swing Your Lady/Men are Such Fools

You Can?t Get Away with Murder/King of the Underworld

It All Came True (1940)

The Oklahoma Kid (1939) Remastered Edition

Bogart Double Features- 1941-1953

The Wagons Roll at Night/The Big Shot

Conflict/The Two Mrs. Carrolls

Chain Lightning/Battle Circus

I think there were six or possibly seven new LON CHANEY silents added to the Warners ARCHIVE collection:

HE WHO GETS SLAPPED

THE MONSTER

MOCKERY

MR. WU

THE UNHOLY THREE (1925)

THE UNHOLY THREE (1930)

I am tempted to buy all of them, but I am still nervous about DVDRs as opposed to pressed DVDs. Do you know if Warners Archives exchanges defective DVDRs for an extended period of time or are they treated the same as pressed DVDs? I would hate to invest the money only to watch it go down the drain after the second or third viewing of the discs.

The Lon Chaney's that haven't been released are *TELL IT TO THE MARINES (1926), WEST OF ZANZIBAR (1928),* and *WHERE EAST IS EAST (1929),* Of course there is also *ROAD TO MANDALAY (1926), and WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS (1928),* but neither of those have been on TCM yet.

Some other MGM and Warner Brothers hybrid Silents that should be released would include *DON JUAN (1926),* *NOAH'S ARK* and *THE VIKING.*

with *DON JUAN* they seem to be holding back for something more up-scale than a plain Warner Archive DVD-R. As it is with the major Metro-MGM Silents such as *THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE, THE MERRY WIDOW, THE BIG PARADE, THE SCARLET LETTER, OLD HEIDELBERG, A WOMAN OF AFFAIRS, THE CROWD, SHOW PEOPLE* etc. Although it's getting extremely tiresome waiting for these films to finally get a DVD release of any kind.

One historical release by the WB Archives this year will be an apparently definitive collection of the notorious Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies that have been suppressed since the war years - titles such as *Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarves*, *Tin Pan Alley Cats*, *Tokio Jokio*, etc, etc.....a definite 'Stay Tooned'

In addition to Garfield, what about NOBODY LIVES FOREVER? Gosh I love that movie...

Also, it would be great to see a Maisie set, Dr. Kildare/Gillespie, and Andy Hardy.

What about a MGM Musicals set???

Minor MGM Musicals Set

Honolulu

Ship Ahoy

Panama Hattie

Born to Sing

Music for Millions

Breaking news! A new thread for a new year of releases, the first group of which has been announced for this Tuesday. That's tomorrow: http://yfrog.com/f/h6x1prj/

*The White Sister (1923 & 1933 versions)*

*The Torrent (1926)* *Greta Garbo's first American Silent*

*Romance (1930) remastered* *Garbo early Talkie.*

*Susan Lenox: Her Fall and Rise (1931)* Garbo, Clark Gable

*Two-Faced Woman (1941)* *Greta Garbo's Final film.*

With the release of *TORRENT,* the only Garbo Silent still not issued on DVD is now Clarance Brown's *A WOMAN OF AFFAIRS (1928)* with John Gilbert. The hold up with this picture is obviously the Carl Davis score and the ties to Thames and Photoplay Productions. Along with possible re-mastering. However, I have a recording from Arte Network in France, and they ran the film with the original Axt-Mendoza arrangement. So Warner Archive could conceivably release that version. They wouldn't need to shell out extra residuals to Photoplay. Although, it has never been on TCM with the Metro-tone track. Much as I adore Carl Davis, in this case I am kind of partial to the vintage score.

Henry King's *THE WHITE SISTER (1923)* Starring Lillian Gish and Ronald Colman, in his first American film will certainly be the edition that TCM premiered in May of 2009. I should mention that this ran on TCM France with a different score in 2006, and the broadcast master used there seemed far superior to what we saw here in the States for some reason? I was wondering if the video wasn't maybe encoded at a much lower bit-rate of something? Haven't been able to figure that out. Hope that they at least put this on a Dual-Layer disc. It's over two hours long. I assume that *TORRENT* will be the same as the previous MGM laser-disc.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> It might be worth mentioning here that there is already a thread on Warner Archives (with 440 posts and over 17,000 views):

>

> http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=141645&tstart=0

I'm aware, however I didn't want people to get confused considering that usually only lists new additions. I figured it would make it easier to separate.

However, I have another idea:

The Complete Crime Does Not Pay MGM Series

I believe there were about 38 of these, some of which have already gone to DVD but this would fill in the odds and ends. With each rounding out to about 20 minutes, this would offer over 12 hours of B-Movie Short Subject Heaven!!!

Alright, yesterday there were some great new additions to the WAC. I am pumped that Paradise for Three has finally come to DVD....(I almost want to scream :0 ) Very long awaited release.

Anyways, I like the track WB is taking with the double and triple packs. How about:

Jean Harlow Double Pack:

The Girl From Missouri

Suzy

and:

Bombshell (Remastered)

• 1 month later...

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}

> The Lon Chaney's that haven't been released are *TELL IT TO THE MARINES (1926), WEST OF ZANZIBAR (1928),* and *WHERE EAST IS EAST (1929),* Of course there is also *ROAD TO MANDALAY (1926), and WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS (1928),* but neither of those have been on TCM yet.

>

> Some other MGM and Warner Brothers hybrid Silents that should be released would include *DON JUAN (1926),* *NOAH'S ARK* and *THE VIKING.*

>

> with *DON JUAN* they seem to be holding back for something more up-scale than a plain Warner Archive DVD-R. As it is with the major Metro-MGM Silents such as *THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE, THE MERRY WIDOW, THE BIG PARADE, THE SCARLET LETTER, OLD HEIDELBERG, A WOMAN OF AFFAIRS, THE CROWD, SHOW PEOPLE* etc. Although it's getting extremely tiresome waiting for these films to finally get a DVD release of any kind.

Speaking of MGM silents, I did ask about *The Crowd* and *Greed* on the WAC facebook page...the response was "no plans at this time". These are pretty major works of American film...I wonder what the hold up is?

BTW...*Greed* is available on Apple TV and Itunes. It is tinted and looks spectacular.

> {quote:title=ChorusGirl wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}

> > The Lon Chaney's that haven't been released are *TELL IT TO THE MARINES (1926), WEST OF ZANZIBAR (1928),* and *WHERE EAST IS EAST (1929),* Of course there is also *ROAD TO MANDALAY (1926), and WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS (1928),* but neither of those have been on TCM yet.

> >

> > Some other MGM and Warner Brothers hybrid Silents that should be released would include *DON JUAN (1926),* *NOAH'S ARK* and *THE VIKING.*

> >

> > with *DON JUAN* they seem to be holding back for something more up-scale than a plain Warner Archive DVD-R. As it is with the major Metro-MGM Silents such as *THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE, THE MERRY WIDOW, THE BIG PARADE, THE SCARLET LETTER, OLD HEIDELBERG, A WOMAN OF AFFAIRS, THE CROWD, SHOW PEOPLE* etc. Although it's getting extremely tiresome waiting for these films to finally get a DVD release of any kind.

>

>

> Speaking of MGM silents, I did ask about *The Crowd* and *Greed* on the WAC facebook page...the response was "no plans at this time". These are pretty major works of American film...I wonder what the hold up is?

>

> BTW...*Greed* is available on Apple TV and Itunes. It is tinted and looks spectacular.

My guess is (based on the titles listed above) that most of them are Photoplay restorations and have scores by Carl Davis, and may have home video rights issues for those versions.

The exceptions from the above list would be THE MERRY WIDOW A WOMAN OF AFFAIRS and SHOW PEOPLE.

Both A WOMAN OF AFFAIRS and SHOW PEOPLE also exist with versions that have their "vitaphone" soundtracks intact,however the print of SHOW PEOPLE is in rougher shape than the Photoplay version.

> {quote:title=ChorusGirl wrote:}{

>

>

> Speaking of MGM silents, I did ask about *The Crowd* and *Greed* on the WAC facebook page...the response was "no plans at this time". These are pretty major works of American film...I wonder what the hold up is?

>

> BTW...*Greed* is available on Apple TV and Itunes. It is tinted and looks spectacular.

What about *THE BIG PARADE???* Unlike *THE CROWD, OLD HEIDELBERG, A WOMAN OF AFFAIRS* etc all that need re-mastering, *THE BIG PARADE* was fully restored from the original camera negative by Warner's and George Eastman House in 2004. That is some 7 years ago. But TCM is still showing the 1983 Thames Silents version. All that is needed is for Warner's to reprise the original Axt-Mendoza score, or sync it up with the Carl Davis score. I'm getting extremely tired of waiting to see the beautifully restored print that I have heard so much about., but it only ever receives an occasional live screening. At this point, I would settle for a TCM debut of the not so new anymore restoration, let alone a DVD or Blu-ray. Just get it on TCM for crying out loud. Please!

Let me correct something. Somehow I neglected to mention *THE BLACKBIRD (1926)* among the Lon Chaney films that have yet to be released by Warner Archive. How I could forget that film, Co-Starring Renee Adore, I'm not sure. Especially, since I had a hand in getting it on TCM for it's American premier in October of 2008.

• 2 months later...

I thought it may be worth mentioning without creating a new thread, so I'll post it here. I'm really hoping Universal comes out with a Cecil B. Demille Collection sometime this year. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Northwest Mounted Police, Reap the Wild Wind, Unconquered, Samson and Delilah, and The Greatest Show on Earth were all remastered, or maybe even BD!