Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yay! ?The Match King? Sun. 1/9/11


FredCDobbs
 Share

Recommended Posts

This is a great movie. Based on a true story.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivar_Kreuger

 

Also, two other rare Lily Damita movies, in Prime Time!

 

Sun. 1/9/11

 

 

All Times Eastern:

 

8:00 pm This Is the Night (1932)

 

An affair is threatened to be exposed when a wife's husband returns from the Olympics.

Cast: Lily Damita, Charlie Ruggles, Roland Young, Thelma Todd Dir: Frank Tuttle BW-78 mins, TV-G

--------------------------

9:30pm The Match King (1932)

An ambitious young man corners the market on matches, then faces the destruction of his empire.

 

Cast: Warren William, Lily Damita, Glenda Farrell, Juliette Compton Dir: William Keighley BW-79 mins, TV-G

---------------------------

11:00pm Friends And Lovers (1931)

 

A society woman and her husband blackmail the men who flirt with her.

 

Cast: Adolphe Menjou, Lily Damita, Laurence Olivier, Erich von Stroheim Dir: Victor Schertzinger BW-68 mins, TV-G

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking forward to getting a new recording of THIS IS THE NIGHT. I have had my copy since the late 1980s when it was last shown on cable in the LA area. It is a delightful pre-code. Thelma Todd keeps losing her dress throughout the film. :D I thought Lily Damita was so pretty in this film. :x

This is Carey Grant's first feature film appearance too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting that!

I saw the "trailer" and wondered if it was worth watching. I'll take your recommendation & "double feature" record it with THIS IS THE NIGHT. Ruggles, Young & Todd....what a line up!

 

Interesting trivia clore!

 

I've been recording almost every day in January...stellar stuff showing this month!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> I'm totally grooving to these tonight!!! Can't wait!!! Lili Damita!!! Hotcha!!

> Warren William! Groove!

> Pre-codes in prime-time! Rocking!

 

?This Is the Night? (1932) was delightful! :)

 

Now on to ?The Match King?! (1932)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I missed Match King :(

 

But I did see and enjoy This is the Night (well the beginning was sort of strange).

 

Kind of unbelievable that Cary Grant's character was very different from how his screen persona would later develop (and I think Paramount really wasted him).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

 

> This Is the Night (1932) was delightful! :)

>

It really is a delightful film. I was surprised to see it in a tinted print though! That was so cool!

The copy I recorded back in the 1980s did not have any tinting to it.

I also have a copy of ONE HOUR WITH YOU (1932) that also has some tinting at the beginning of the film. I thought that tinting night scenes would have been passe by 1932, but it is a pleasant bonus that both THIS IS THE NIGHT and ONE HOUR WITH YOU exist with tints. The only other talkie that I can think of that also had some tinted scenes would be HELLS ANGELS (1930).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Kinokima wrote:}{quote}

> Kind of unbelievable that Cary Grant's character was very different from how his screen persona would later develop

 

I was disappointed in This Is The Night. It had a similar story line to The Awful Truth (jealous husband fighting for his marriage) but TAT was so much better. Tighter, and with funnier gags- I never tire of Cary replaying Scott on the rings.

I love all the players, but had a really tough time believing ANYone would prefer Roland Young over Cary Grant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}

>

> I was disappointed in This Is The Night. It had a similar story line to The Awful Truth (jealous husband fighting for his marriage) but TAT was so much better. Tighter, and with funnier gags- I never tire of Cary replaying Scott on the rings.

> I love all the players, but had a really tough time believing ANYone would prefer Roland Young over Cary Grant.

 

 

Oh yeah I definitely like the Awful Truth more (it's one of my favorite films) but I am not sure if the story lines are all that similar after all that movie was precisely about a husband and wife scheming to get each other back. This had the husband & wife aspect but they were really the minor characters and we really were looking at another romance.

 

I also had a hard time buying that anyone would choose Roland Young over Cary but this was Cary's screen debut. I am not sure why but I guess they didn't think he could play the leading man yet. He really didn't become A List until 1937 when The Awful Truth and Topper came out either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I make it a habit to watch Robert Osborne and/or Ben Mankiewicz introduce and outro movies. I was planning on watching Robert Osborne introduce "This is the Night" and then turn the channel to watch "The Bourne Identity". After the introduction I decided to watch the opening credits to "This Is the Night" to see what actors and actresses were in the film. Then the film began. Blue tinting? Wow!!! This is different and it looks great. The song about the "Lady Lost Her Dress". This is getting interesting. Thelma Todd gets out of the limousine looking absolutely gorgeous. Oh my this is getting tough to turn away from. Thelma Todd has her dress torn off her by the limo driver closing the door on the train of her dress as she is walking away from the car. More singing about the:"Lady Lost Her Dress". You got me now!!! I am hooked!!! I cannot leave this movie!!! I have to watch it now!!!. What great writing and acting!!! This movie smacks of "Trouble In Paradise" and "Private Lives". Two films which I cherish. What a great Pre-Code movie from 1932 which is now one of my favorites.

 

"The Match King" was interesting. It was hard to watch how an individual could be so ruthless and reckless with people as he built his empire into a domination of the match industry and world affairs. Glenda Jackson was great to see in the bit role she had in this movie. Am I glad I didn't choose to watch "The Bourne Identity".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think ?The Match King? is a good lesson in the worst example of "big business". Essentially he was running a ponzi scheme. Toward the end he told his young assistant that he never fully paid off his original 10,000 Corona loan, since he had gotten subsequent larger loans to pay off the first bank, and then later even bigger loans to pay off the second and third bank, but his original 10,000 Corona debt still existed as part of all his subsequent loans. So at the end, he still owed the original 10,000 Coronas, and a lot more too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

THE MATCH KING was incredible! Wow! Warren William at his best! And yes, Fred, you have it right on that, very interesting to watch it wind and then unravel.

 

FRIENDS AND LOVERS I'd seen before, excellent pre-code!

 

I haven't yet had a chance to watch THIS IS THE NIGHT, really looking forward to it from the DVR!!! Thelma Todd, be still my beating heart!!! She rocks my world!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just out of curiosity, did anyone notice a video glitch in the beginning of the "The Match King" when he was reading his uncle's letter? Not sure if there was an issue with a loose cable on the vcr or if it was a cablevision problem in NY. Warren William once again demonstrated his ability to play conniving characters with a charm. It turned out to be a great film along with "This is the Night". The tint really shocked me at the beginning and Roland Young made me laugh as usual, especially paired up with Charles Ruggles. It's a shame I didn't record it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> THE MATCH KING was incredible! Wow! Warren William at his best!

 

I thought it was lousy. I was reminded of a version of *Baby Face*, minus the lurid sexual innuendo. Stanwyck's character at least had a background that made it understandable why she'd be motivated to "use men to get the things she wanted". Warren William's character was just a jerk, and one I found myself not caring about. I found the romance between him and Damita totally uninteresting: I didn't care whether or not they ended up together.

 

William is much better in movies like *Under 18* or *The Mind Reader*.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Fedya wrote:}{quote}

> > THE MATCH KING was incredible! Wow! Warren William at his best!

>

> I thought it was lousy.

 

I love when people say "lousy". tongue.gif

 

> William is much better in movies like *Under 18* or *The Mind Reader*.

 

I was also unimpressed with TMK, but like you, love Warren William. If either of those two pop up on the schedule, be sure to post a "heads up" for us to watch & compare!

 

What a ditz to confuse THE AWFUL TRUTH & MY FAVORITE WIFE! I'm a scatterbrain for sure. Glad you caught that, clore!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=thomasterryjr wrote:}{quote}

> I make it a habit to watch Robert Osborne and/or Ben Mankiewicz introduce and outro movies. I was planning on watching Robert Osborne introduce "This is the Night" and then turn the channel to watch "The Bourne Identity". After the introduction I decided to watch the opening credits to "This Is the Night" to see what actors and actresses were in the film. Then the film began. Blue tinting? Wow!!! This is different and it looks great. The song about the "Lady Lost Her Dress". This is getting interesting. Thelma Todd gets out of the limousine looking absolutely gorgeous. Oh my this is getting tough to turn away from. Thelma Todd has her dress torn off her by the limo driver closing the door on the train of her dress as she is walking away from the car. More singing about the:"Lady Lost Her Dress". You got me now!!! I am hooked!!! I cannot leave this movie!!! I have to watch it now!!!. What great writing and acting!!! This movie smacks of "Trouble In Paradise" and "Private Lives". Two films which I cherish. What a great Pre-Code movie from 1932 which is now one of my favorites.

>

> "The Match King" was interesting. It was hard to watch how an individual could be so ruthless and reckless with people as he built his empire into a domination of the match industry and world affairs. Glenda Jackson was great to see in the bit role she had in this movie. Am I glad I didn't choose to watch "The Bourne Identity".

 

You obviously meant Glenda Farrell.

 

"The Match King" certainly had far more resonance with audiences when it was released in December 1932, as it was only nine months after the suicide of the real-life person who inspired the film (sort of the Bernie Madoff of his day). Warren William, who played "smarmy" better than just about anyone else, was excellent in the role.

 

As for "This Is The Night," it was a Lubitschean-style of comedy, but far more coarse than anything Ernst would have done. Still, it was plenty of fun (though it was a bit weird to see Roland Young as a sort of cad), and who can complain about seeing Thelma Todd lose her dress? (I assume those were her shapely silk-stockinged legs we saw after the dress was lost, and not a body double's; Thelma didn't need one!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> Now that our campaign to make Joel McCrea SOTM is gaining traction, how about a campaign for Warren William as SOTM? It's more difficult to find rhymes for William than McCrea, but that shouldn't be a roadblock.

>

> Edited by: finance on Jan 11, 2011 10:10 AM

 

Warren William! Warren William!

He has fans by the million! ;)

 

...Well it's a start! :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, well, I liked THE MATCH KING better than some it seems! I understand that he was a total jerk, but I still dug it and could appreciate his performance for what it was! I thought the story was very well done, and while I do dig WW in some other films perhaps better, I actually thought he did a fine job here as well!

 

And wow, in THIS IS THE NIGHT, which I haven't seen yet, Thelma Todd loses her dress eh???? OMG! I can't wait to see that now!!! DVR here I come! :) Thelma....I have a huge crush on her as it is!!! :)

 

And as for WW for SOTM----I'm THERE!!!!

Pre-code heaven!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

>9:30pm The Match King (1932)

> An ambitious young man corners the market on matches, then faces the destruction of his empire.

>

> Cast: Warren William, Lily Damita, Glenda Farrell, Juliette Compton Dir: William Keighley

>

So, is this the one where Warren William meets his match?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> >9:30pm The Match King (1932)

> > An ambitious young man corners the market on matches, then faces the destruction of his empire.

> >

> > Cast: Warren William, Lily Damita, Glenda Farrell, Juliette Compton Dir: William Keighley

> >

> So, is this the one where Warren William meets his match?

 

D'oh! (Sounding like James Finlayson) :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...