Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

question to americans from a canuck

I would say that quite a lot of Americans wear their shoes in the house. I would guess most, while some others might prefer to wear slippers. If company is coming over to visit, shoes are appropriate.

Sounds interesting, although perhaps of a questionable legality, at least with regard to public places.

Personally, I, as a loyal Canadian, always wear fluffy red mules in the house. I combine these with an elegant white dressing gown, thereby proudly sporting the colours of our flag. A patriotic vision in red and white. Here is one of my thousand pairs of indoor footgear:

belle-301t.jpg

As you can see, they are also available in other colours. But the red works best with the Canadian flag theme.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> Sounds interesting, although perhaps of a questionable legality, at least with regard to public places.

>

> Personally, I, as a loyal Canadian, always wear fluffy red mules in the house. I combine these with an elegant white dressing gown, thereby proudly sporting the colours of our flag. A patriotic vision in red and white. Here is one of my thousand pairs of indoor footgear:

>

> belle-301t.jpg

>

> As you can see, they are also available in other colours. But the red works best with the Canadian flag theme.

Hey, ms wonderful, don't ever forget who your master is...

http://libertyworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/eagle_in_front_of_the_american_flag.jpg

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> Personally, I, as a loyal Canadian, always wear fluffy red mules in the house. I combine these with an elegant white dressing gown, thereby proudly sporting the colours of our flag. A patriotic vision in red and white. Here is one of my thousand pairs of indoor footgear:

>

> belle-301t.jpg

>

> As you can see, they are also available in other colours. But the red works best with the Canadian flag theme.

For some reason, I would have imagined you dressed up as the female equivalent of Laurence Olivier in [*49th Parallel*|http://justacineast.blogspot.com/2008/07/canada-day.html]:

olivier.jpg

(Minus the moustache, of course.)

To each his own was my Mom's favorite saying, my hubby can't walk on the floors without his slippers on, I walk around in socks can't stand shoes on my feet in the house. So I would think no matter where you live everyone does there own thing.

cat

Growing up outside of Charlottesville, Virginia in the Blue Ridge, my brother and I would almost never wear our shoes in the house. This tradition has continued into my adult years. My wife wears shoes in the house, where as I prefer not to. Even in the winter.

Guests? I almost always invite guests to remove their shoes when they come over.

Fedya, I''m not sure whether to laugh or cry. Even if you do imagine me as a female version of Laurence Olivier (?? quoi? where would that come from? ) couldn't you have chosen a more flattering picture of the man? Mr. Olivier was quite good-looking, but not in that pic.

(later)..ok, I get it now, I looked up the film *49th Parallel*. Would have been quicker to get your joke if I'd seen it. Sorry. (We Canadians supposedly say "sorry" a lot.)

Edited by: misswonderly on Jan 8, 2011 1:02 PM

Edited by: misswonderly on Jan 8, 2011 1:03 PM

I guess *49th Parallel* must be one of those movies TCM can't show in Canada. (Maybe the CRTC hate the stereotyping of Canadians? ;-) )

Olivier's accent is so phony it's a riot, even though the movie itself is quite good. The last time I mentioned Olivier in *49th Parallel* here, somebody referred to the accent as something that could get up and walk off all by itself. :-)

> {quote:title=annelovestcm wrote:}{quote}

> ok I know I am taking a risk here lol

>

> do all americans wear their shoes in the house?

>

> every time I see a movie or tv sitcom they are wearing their shoes in the house

>

> is it because that is the norm OR does it just look better on camera?

I think it varies quite a bit. I don't wear shoes in my house. When I go to someone else's house during the winter, I normally take my shoes off when entering, to avoid soiling their carpet. But, I think that when most people go visiting, they keep their shoes on. Most of my guests come to watch movies. I tell them that feet, but NOT shoes, are allowed to use the coffee table in front of the couch as a foot stool. So, most eventually take their shoes off, to get comfortable.

Canadians have a love/hate relationship with Americans. Only problem is, it's only the Canadians who are aware of this. We're like one of those little secretaries in an early 50s comedy, we know we're wonderful, now if only we could get the attention of that guy who wields all the power. He likes us well enough when he thinks about us, which is practically never.

Hey, what happened to those posts about *The 49th Parallel* ? They are mysteriously gone -it's like a creepy Twilight Zone episode. There was nothing in the messages to offend anyone, not even Laurence Olivier ( or his estate). Did someone complain to the " mods" to remove them? Tell me it was not a Canadian who did so !