Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This Is the Night (1932) Sunday evening Jan. 9

rayallen

It is a delightful film made in a Ernst Lubitsch fashion, with a little less sophistication than he would have brought to it. It has a humorous song at the beginning of the film when Thelma Todd loses her dress after the chauffeur closes the car door too soon.

Lily Damita is fun in this film, being both sexy and playful. Charlie Ruggles is very good too.

This is Carey Grant's first feature film role and he has some fun scenes in the film.

It has a good number of scenes that are pure pre-code: risque dialogue and both Thelma Todd and Lily Damita running around in their underwear. I think that the only weak link in the film is Roland Young. Don't get me wrong, I like Roland Young, but I think that he was miscast in his role

I'm astounded that no one has mentioned that the print was absolutely Gorgeous! And so is Lilly Damita! WOOF! Lovely cinematography throughout. I'm so glad that I started recording the movie on time. Now this is how I hoped *SUNNY SIDE UP* would look. Amazing quality. On Nitrateville no one knew anything about a new restoration.

The tinting caught me off guard as well. You know the old story that Tinting interfered with and impeded the optical tracks and so pretty much was discontinued. This was probably restored so carefully strictly because it was Cary Grant's first motion picture appearance.

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}

> The tinting caught me off guard as well. You know the old story that Tinting interfered with and impeded the optical tracks and so pretty much was discontinued. This was probably restored so carefully strictly because it was Cary Grant's first motion picture appearance.

My laser disc copy of ONE HOUR WITH YOU (1932), also has some tinting. The print used for the Criterion release sadly does not.