Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The new TCM commercial

I've just seen the new ad on TCM for the first time. One of the last statements made was "I don't pray before I go to bed... I turn on TCM ."

What kind of moron thought this was a good thing to throw into the mix? Do they think a statement like that will get more viewers? Do they think it sounds KEWL? Are they saying that TCM is their God? I don't get it. I watch old movies because, unlike newer movies, they seem mostly free from this type of modern hedonistic, ignorant, P.C. dribble.

Is there no escape from immorality being shoved in our faces? This is only the 3rd time I have ever posted anything, anywhere. I belong to no chat rooms or message boards, but I could not keep myself from signing up here in order to make this post.

As much as I LOVE the programming at TCM, I doubt I will ever watch again. This was the last refuge. I will just buy my movies or go through Netflix. I will, however return to this thread to check out any responses.

Thank you for reading my rant. I won't do it again. ( well, probably not)

Tom

The "new ad" you mention is one of the TCM Fan Programmer My Retrospective series promos from April 2009. These include:

MY RETROSPECTIVE: THERESA BROWN

MY RETROSPECTIVE: ROME HENDHEIM

MY RETROSPECTIVE: PETER BOSCH

MY RETROSPECTIVE: PHILIP HIMBERG

TCM FOUR FAN PROMO

A new series of My Retrospective promos was shown beginning in August 2010. These include:

MY RETROSPECTIVE: CRAIG MACARTNEY

MY RETROSPECTIVE: DAVID BRIGHT

MY RETROSPECTIVE: CICELY ANN HANSEN

MY RETROSPECTIVE: CHRISTINA PUTNAM

MY RETROSPECTIVE: SAM MANN

I haven't seen the new ad I guess I change channels fast too, but it reminds me of a Tide commercial that was running where the daughter asked the mother did she see her blouse and the mother says no. She had really worn it, well now they took out the response from Mom so I would guess they got replys from viewers that telling a lie is a lie. Not totally like this but I would think several people will respond to this also, so we will see what Turner does with it. Haven't seen it so I can't make a judgement just yet.

cat

*It is an ad though, just the same.*

Only in the most general terms. It is a fan of the channel talking about why they love classic films and why they watch TCM.

It is part of the series of Fan Perspectives. One set was filmed in Nov. 2008 and began playing in early 2009 as part of the TCM 15th anniversary.

Another set was filmed last Spring and has been running since last Summer.

The FP in question has been running since 2009.

So, it isn't new and it isn't controversial. At least until now.

> {quote:title=bklynrose wrote:}{quote}

> I haven't seen the new ad I guess I change channels fast too, but it reminds me of a Tide commercial that was running where the daughter asked the mother did she see her blouse and the mother says no. She had really worn it, well now they took out the response from Mom so I would guess they got replys from viewers that telling a lie is a lie. ..

What? I thought that ad was funny. People really need to lighten up. Why is everyone so poe-faced? And does anyone seriously think the TCM fan who made that remark literally kneels and prays to TCM every night before going to bed? Clearly they're being hyperbolic to make a point. Nobody can say anything tongue-in-cheek anymore, it's all taken up by the anti-evil police who like to cast stones for lack of anything better to do. I say, stop taking every little thing so seriously. There are plenty of serious things to be taken seriously, leave the non-essential items alone.

Edited by: misswonderly on Jan 10, 2011 2:13 PM

Hi tom, welcome to the board.

I haven?t seen the promo you?re talking about, but I suspect the person in it probably meant no disrespect. He probably used the phrase to emphasize how frequently he watches TCM, while not realizing that what he said might seem insulting to some people within the TCM audience.

Back in the ?70s or ?80s, there was a beer commercial on TV that showed a bunch of macho men building the Alaska oil pipeline. One of the men, as a narrator, said something like, ?Trying to find a good beer in Alaska is like trying to find a good woman.? He probably meant that where the pipeline was being built wasn?t very populated, and, thus, there weren?t many bars around and not many brands of beer, and not many women either, but his words sounded like he was implying there weren?t very many good women in all of Alaska.

After many complaints from Alaskans, the ad agency did a dub-over and changed the wording to something like, ?Trying to find a good beer in Alaska is like trying to find the RIGHT woman.?