Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Warren William for Star of the Month!!!

markbeckuaf

I don't have a lot of fancy rhymes ready, so feel free to join in, but let me give a shout out to those who sponsored this in THE MATCH KING thread, I just had to shout it from the rooftops (or start a thread for it anyway!) :)

One of my absolute main men of cinema, he did tons of pre-codes (so that's a winner!), plus most of his work was with Warner Bros, so that should be a good go! So many great films he appeared in, and it would be cool to have a night of his Lone Wolf flicks from Columbia too!

SOTM? Lonnnnnnnnng overdue I say!

Totally dig me some Warren William! Who's in?

Would be ok with me. Are so many deserving people who never have been chosen SOTM. I get tired of the same stars over and over. Give some lesser stars the spotlight once in awhile (how about Ann Harding and Mary Astor as well. Long overdue.......)

I like the idea. If you read Mick LaSalle's "Dangerous Men," his follow-up to "Complicated Women" looking at the men of pre-Code, he sort of rehabilitates Warren William just as much as he did Kay Francis in his earlier book. He not only played smarmy types, but was the screen's first Perry Mason.

I'd love to see Warren William as Star of the Month, but I'd love to see a new designation for him - COM (Cad Of the Month). He was wonderful! I especially enjoyed him in Skyscraper Souls (1932) and Employee's Entrance (1933). I wouldn't be hurt at all of they didn't show his nine Lone Wolf movies.

http://www.amazon.com/Warren-William-Magnificent-Scoundrel-Hollywood/dp/0786448784/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts about Warren. I totally agree with you. If you weren't aware of it, there is a recently published biography of Warren, "Warren William: Magnficent Scoundrel of Pre-Code Hollywood" by John Strangeland. It's a great book that I would highly recommend!

Edited by: KittyPackard on Jan 16, 2011 12:30 AM

Even allowing for the fact that Hollywood was still finding its way, searching for a tone and style, in the early days of the sound film, 1928-1934, William is the most pompous, mannered actor I have ever seen. Quite ludicrous in everything he did. He obviously couldn't make the distinction between the stage and screen, and paid the price by quickly becoming obsolete.

> {quote:title=ArchieCarstairs wrote:}{quote}

> William made seven feature films in 1932 and five features and one short in 1933. You could practically do a whole day of just the Pre-Code period. (And another day of the Perry Mason and Lone Wolf series...)

> Oh, yes. Warren William is DUE for the love.

Love this post, Arch!!! I agree, it would be awesome!!!

And I love the suggestion made elsewhere in the thread that he could be COTM!!! :) Perfect!!!

Warren William rocks the house!