Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy Birthday Kay

AMEN to that! They are showing the same old WB films of hers again. And few of the good ones! I forgot to record Secret Agent or whatever it is w/Leslie Howard. One of the few WB movies of hers I havent seen. Oh, well.

> "It's a Date" was a great film ! First time I've ever seen it.

Make sure you see NANCY GOES TO RIO. MGM bought the property from Universal and remade it a decade later, with Ann Sothern and Jane Powell. It's in Technicolor and just as good. Louis Calhern plays a supporting role. Carmen Miranda does some specialty numbers. And Barry Sullivan is the male lead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_goes_to_rio

ann%20sot%20goes%20to%20rio.JPG

Just spent the afternoon sitting through Stolen Holiday and Women in the Wind, and I think I'm getting a major girl crush on Kay Francis. I don't think she ever looked more beautiful than in Stolen Holiday. I think this film deserves more attention. Although it's based on a European scandal, there are certainly parallels between Count Orloff and Bernie Madoff! Claude Rains' performance was deliciously charming and devious.

What a groovy day!!!! Kay rocks!!! Queen of the pre-codes, indeed!!!

I also would love to see her Paramounts and her Monograms! Though I had the chance to see one of the latter, and it was kind of like Bela's in a way. With her in it, the Z-grade nature of the plot, etc, was elevated. Once a star, always a star, and Kay Francis was indeed a star! Love her!

STOLEN HOLIDAY was interesting.

In one scene near the end of the film, when Kay Francis comes in through the front door, it is obvious in the long shot that she towers over Claude Rains (in real life, she was 5' 9" and he was only 5' 6"). Then, when they cut to a two-shot he is magically the same height as her (probably standing on a ramp or blocks as Hitchcock had him do with Ingrid Bergman in NOTORIOUS).

But even funnier was the fact that the hair and makeup department had brushed his locks upward to give him an extra half-inch in stature.

Yes, they made an odd pairing. I saw the film for the first time last year and didnt really care for it (too soapy) Rains was good..........Kay's clothes of course were fantastic! (LOL)

Kay Francis with Peter Lorre would've had the same effect! I think the Claude Rains role should've been played by George Brent or Cary Grant...it should've had a cad feel to it. Or Charles Boyer. In fact, Boyer would've been marvelous in that role and more believable as a love interest.

After two days of her films-her birthday last year and this one-I?ve come to these conclusions:

She was not a ?flash in the pan?. The movies went from 1930 into the 40?s. That?s longevity.

I really had trouble catching her mispronunciation of w as I?ve read about. It didn?t seem to matter to anybody. Even though we all speak English there are so many regional accents in this country that it was probably chalked up to that. Obviously, it didn?t bother me.

The volume of her films tells me she was a big star of her times. The public, who really makes stars, must have flocked to see her pictures. Had they not been commercially successful Warners would not have allowed her to make so many of them.

Her leading men included William Powell, Errol Flynn, Preston Foster, and Claude Rains who were some of the most popular and talented actors of the period. Again, an ordinary actress would not have rated a line up like this.

I?ve read so many put downs of her looks, acting, and personal life that I?d pretty much passed her over before but no more. I don?t know if she could make it today but then could any of our current stars have done it back then.?