Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best performance not to win an academy award.

DAKOTAWOMEN

i'd say that was her best.

Others (off the top of my head):

Gloria Swanson - SUNSET BLVD.

Bette Davis - DARK VICTORY

Clark Gable - GONE WITH THE WIND

Richard Widmark - NO WAY OUT

Linda Darnell - NO WAY OUT

Marilyn Monroe - BUS STOP

Greta Garbo - CAMILLE

There was a thread on this in the Hot Topics forum called Oscar Robbery.

1. Gene Tierney in LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN. She lost to Crawford's MILDRED. But if there was ever a best actress in a given year, it was Tierney in this searing performance.

2. Angela Lansbury was robbed of Oscar gold for her delicious turn as Raymond's mother in the original MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE..

3. Tom Cruise as a real-life Vietnam Vet in Oliver Stone's BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY. Eye candy? Of course. But a great, intense, heart-felt performance. He should've tied with Daniel Day Lewis.

*Gene Tierney in LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN. She lost to Crawford's MILDRED. But if there was ever a best actress in a given year, it was Tierney in this searing performance.*

As chilling as she was in LHTH, I think she was even better the following year in THE RAZOR'S EDGE. I felt that she should have been nominated for this role as well.

In my opinion, I think Gloria Swanson was the most robbed actress in history, since she didn?t win for ?Sunset Boulevard?.

Swanson?s own real-life personality was actually kind and sweet, almost girlish even later in life, but she played Norma Desmond in the film as if she was a real person. And the dialogue called for a lot of derogatory things to be said about a 50 year old woman, yet Gloria played the role perfectly. That was one of the best performances of all movie history.

#1 is definitely Gloria Swanson for *Sunset Boulevard*

Others include

Judy Garland for *A Star Is Born*

Fred MacMurray for *Double Indemnity*

Barbara Stanwyck for *Stella Dallas*

Glenn Close for *Dangerous Liaisons*

Edward G. Robinson for *Little Caesar*

Susan Hayward for *I'll Cry Tomorrow*

Ida Lupino for *They Drive By Night*

Humphrey Bogart for *The Maltese Falcon*

Bessie Love for *The Broadway Melody*

Richard Burton for *Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf*

Peter O'Toole for *The Lion in Winter*

Ann Sheridan for *Kings Row*

Marion Davies for *Peg o' My Heart*

Marcello Mastroianni for *8 1/2*

Dana Andrews for *The Best Years of Our Lives*

Marlene Dietrich for *Destry Rides Again*

Bette Midler for *The Rose*

Julie Harris for *The Haunting*

Warren Beatty for *Reds*

Betty Hutton for *Anne Get Your Gun*

Joan Crawford for *Humoresque*

Richard Barthelmess for *Massacre*

Lillian Gish for *The Night of the Hunter*

Marilyn Monroe for *Bus Stop*

Judy Davis for *My Brilliant Career*

Greta Garbo for *Camille*

Woody Allen for *Annie Hall*

Leslie Howard for *Outward Bound*

Moira Shearer for *The Red Shoes*

Anne Baxter for *All About Eve*

Clifton Webb for *Laura*

Joan Fontaine for *Rebecca*

Irene Dunne for *The Awful Truth*

Kay Francis for *One Way Passage*

William Powell for *The Great Ziegfeld*

Rosalind Russell for *Auntie Mame*

Carole Lombard for *My Man Godfrey*

Miriam Hopkins for *24 Hours*

Anthony Perkins for *Psycho*

Charlie Chaplin for *City Lights*

Vanessa Redgrave for *Isadora*

Glenda Jackson for *Stevie*

Jack Lemmon for *Some Like It Hot*

Julie Andrews for *Victor/Victoria*

Clark Gable for *The Misfits*

I agree about Marion Davies. Hearst campaigned for her to be nominated but I don't think that even happened (for PEG O' MY HEART). She is splendid in that movie. She is also very good in her last film, EVER SINCE EVE. The transformation she does in that one is amazing to watch. She is one of the most focused, nuanced actresses of all time. She is lucky if she receives 10% of the credit she is due her extraordinary talents.

That is a toughie, since there were a lot of geniuses like Cary Grant, Myrna Loy, Joseph Cotten, and, heck, Thelma Ritter who never won. But here's a bunch of performances that should have been recognized:

Cary Grant in the PHILADELPHIA STORY (an incredible nuanced performance but not flashy enough for those morons)

Myrna Loy in THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES

Joseph Cotten in CITIZEN KANE or SHADOW OF A DOUBT

James Stewart in VERTIGO

Ward Bond in THE LONG VOYAGE HOME

Alec Guinness in KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS

Jack Lemmon in THE GREAT RACE

All the nominated actors in 1964, apart from the winner. The great nominated performances included Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole for *Becket*, Peter Sellers for *Dr. Strangelove*, and Anthony Quinn for *Zorba the Greek*. All great performances, and the winner was the boring Rex Harrison, who walked through *My Fair Lady*.

But my favorite performance by an actor is Alexander Knox as Woodrow Wilson, who lost to Bing Crosby in 1944!

so many great responses. I certainly agree with both Davis and Swanson from 1950. (maybe a tie?).. I also would have the following on my list:

Jack Nicholson (Chinatown) 1974

Olivia deHavilland (Snake Pit) 1948

Joan Fontaine (Rebecca) 1940

Marlon Brando (Streetcar Named Desire) 1951

Bette Davis (Dark Victory) 1939

Cicely Tyson (Sounder) 1972

Susan Sarandon (Bull Durham) 1988

Kevin Costner (Bull Durham) 1988

Barbara Stanwyck (anything and everything) 1937-1948 :)

>FredCDobbs you wrote:

> In my opinion, I think Gloria Swanson was the most robbed actress in history, since she didnt win for Sunset Boulevard.

From what I understand about the situation, the votes were evenly split between Bette Davis, Anne Baxter and Gloria. Thereby, this allowed winner Judy Holiday to sneak by with enough votes to prevail. This turned out to be one of the most hotly contested years in ?Oscar? history with two remarkably huge films, ?All About Eve? and ?Sunset Boulevard.? Yet, hardly anyone expected Holiday to win for her role in ?Born Yesterday.? This I think is why Holiday?s win has been for years considered something of a miracle, if not symbolic to an outsider or scarcely known performer becoming an overnight sensation.

Interestingly, Holiday was the actual originator of the role on the Broadway stage version of ?Born Yesterday.? However, when Columbia Pictures decided on producing the film version, Holiday was passed up, in favor of a big box-office star. During the early planning stages of ?Born Yesterday,? fate intervened and Holiday was showered with a bit of positive publicity, due to a marvelous performance in the MGM comedy ?Adam?s Rib.? This success was what finally gave Holiday the necessary leverage as a last minute replacement over who the studio might have selected.

There?s also another reason why Gloria may have been passed up. It stems from the rather harsh image and treatment that her role in ?Sunset Boulevard? exemplified on issues about Hollywood that weren?t at all so upbeat, let alone complimentary. Studio boss Louie B. Mayer of MGM was extremely critical of director Billy Wilder and ?Sunset Boulevard.? Mayer and Wilder even had a quarrel over the matter at the night of the film?s premiere! This dispute and other negative issues hindered Billy?s film among many in the film community. Still, the opposing sides were about even, but not really enough to encourage Hollywood to accept Billy?s motion picture on grounds that he had dwelled a little too deep in signifying the dark side to the movie business. According the Mayer and others, Wilder had bit off the hand that fed him. Therefore, it was enviable that ?Sunset Boulevard,? along with Gloria not to receive the ?Oscar? nod.

Today, most film historians believe Gloria should have won, ?hands down!? As much as the fans have loved the wonderful Judy Holiday, ?Sunset Boulevard? and Gloria?s performance in the film is without any question considered a masterpiece. Meanwhile, ?Born Yesterday? that?s pretty much a comedy with bits of drama has over the years simply paled in comparison to what ?Sunset Boulevard? has come to represent. It?s sort of phenomenal that Bill Holden co-starred in both films! And, ?Sunset Boulevard? was a tremendous dramatic success for his career, elevating him to major star status.

Considering how you do not like to see "modern" films shown on TCM, I am surprised you would even recognize or even approve of this movie being shown on TCM?

Personally, I happen to think Lemmon's performance in "The China Syndrome" should have garnered an Academy Award. But then I would think that even that film according to your standards would not be shown on TCM either.

Any thoughts?

The year that Marion Davies was being promoted for an Oscar nomination for *Peg o' My Heart* the Academy was still experimenting for "format" and there were only three nominees in the acting categories.

Katharine Hepburn won for *Morning Glory* but only May Robson for *Lady for a Day* and Diana Wynyard for *Cavalcade* were nominated. Davies could have been a nominee if there had been 5 nominees.

Her competition for the other two spots could have included Norma Shearer for *Smilin' Through,* Helen Hayes for *A Farewell to Arms,* Kay Francis for *One Way Passage,* Janet Gaynor for *State Fair,* Ann Harding for *When Ladies Meet,* and maybe even Bebe Daniels for *42nd Street.*

Surprised no one has mentioned Boris Karloff in _The Body Snatcher_. Perhaps it's because horror is stigmatized as a genre, not just compared to "serious" films but even compared to the musicals, comedies and other lighter entertainments for which actors have won Oscars. This is a very fine, contained performance by Karloff. He embodies real menace, real evil with just a few facial expressions, a few gestures, those penetrating eyes and that incredible voice of his. The picture itself stands out among horror films as a period piece based on a Robert Louis Stevenson story which was in turn based on actual events. Aside from the ending, there are no special effects and even nothing supernatural. This was Val Lewton's best film, Robert Wise directed, the sets are wonderfully evocative, and Henry Daniell also turns in a great performance. But it is Karloff's film. After watching it, see if you don't agree he deserved to win against the 1945 nominees listed below. I like Ray Milland, but can't say he out-acted Karloff here.

1945 Ray Milland - The Lost Weekend as Don Birnam

Bing Crosby - The Bells of St. Mary's as Father Chuck O'Malley

Gene Kelly - Anchors Aweigh as Joseph Brady

Gregory Peck - The Keys of the Kingdom as Father Francis Chisholm

Cornel Wilde - A Song to Remember as Fr?d?ric Chopin

I actually think Judy Holliday was a good second choice for Best Actress of 1950. I find Swanson and Davis a bit over the top -- perhaps appropriate for their theatrical roles, and enjoyable, but I don't think examples of great acting. I think the real best nominated actress of that year was Eleanor Parker in *Caged*. That was a great performance, a role with a great range, a character that went from an innocent girl to a hard-bitten broad. Parker should have been the winner, with Judy second.