Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

what good is schedule???

pissedinNH

I have made that mistake several times, TCM "starts its new day" around 5 or 6 AM (I'm EST) . If a movie is on at, say 3 AM, the schedule considers it the previous day. You must always double check the schedule for the early morning programs. And make sure you're looking at your proper time zone.

Edited by: mrroberts on Jan 18, 2011 9:04 AM

TCM, like every other network and local station, operates on a "broadcast day" which starts at 6:00 am. This goes back to the early days of radio when stations use to go off the air around midnight or 1:00am. I'm not sure, but I think the FCC may have started it, as a form of standardization, when it required all stations to keep program logs of what they ran every day. It's an industry-wide practice and if you look at schedules from other channels you'll see the same thing.

The problem is when you search ahead for a movie. Last month I did a search for "Barbary Coast" and the schedule told me it was on Jan 1st. But the movie was actually on Jan 2nd at 4:30 AM. So movies on from 12 midnight to around 4 to 5 AM start time can mess you up.

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}

> The problem is when you search ahead for a movie. Last month I did a search for "Barbary Coast" and the schedule told me it was on Jan 1st. But the movie was actually on Jan 2nd at 4:30 AM. So movies on from 12 midnight to around 4 to 5 AM start time can mess you up.

Oh, I understand and wasn't saying it doesn't confuse people, I was just explaining how it started. To make matters worse, sometimes the schedules are sent to newspapers and other publications which try to "correct" them by moving listings to the other day and sometimes that just confuses things more.