Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic TV shows that might make good movies

MyFavoriteFilms

Looking at a copy of the book 'Cult TV' has me thinking...DRAGNET was a flop in theatres. But some properties, like MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE have done very well.

I think THE OUTER LIMITS, which I consider a fabulous blend of science fiction and horror, has several episodes that could be developed into feature films.

DARK SHADOWS, the old afternoon soap opera, was turned into a primetime series in the 90s. And I think it could make for a great movie. Don't you?

Surprised nobody's brought GILLIGAN'S ISLAND to the big screen. Should we thank our lucky stars? Which leads me to mention I DREAM OF JEANNIE. Hasn't its day come? Or what about THE FLYING NUN? And MY FAVORITE MARTIAN?

In my opinion, MATT HOUSTON would make a very stylish movie for some **** male star. And so would MIAMI VICE (two **** males). Meanwhile, REMINGTON STEELE might work. But Pierce Brosnan is too old for the lead role.

Then there are some shows that seem like obvious choices. THE A-TEAM would appeal to a young male audience, contain a lot of mindless action scenes and irreverent humor. Yes, it would make $200 million.

There are lots of episodes of ALfred Hitchcock Presents and The Twilight Zone that would make good movies. Of the former, "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" is very interesting, and so is one called The Jaywalker, I think, with John Fiedler. As for the Twilight Zone, my brother made a student film a couple years ago based on an episode in which a guy gets a watch that stops time, but at the end it breaks and it stops time "forever." The episode ended there so he imagined what would come later and what would work if time stopped, i.e. water flowing and such.

Sometimes it does not work. "The Brady Bunch Movie" is a good example. Its simply *not the same.* Can't even imagine someone bringing "Father Knows Best" to the big screen.

The old "Hawaiian Eye" might work since no one today seems to remember them. Could make a good detective thriller and since "Hawaii Five-O" made a nice comeback to television, don't write the "Hawaiian Eye" idea off.

Remaking "The Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" could be done but it will take submarine tech (and imagination) to a totally new level.

> Remaking "The Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" could be done but it will take submarine tech (and imagination) to a totally new level.

Wasn't [*Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea*|http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055608/] a movie before it was a TV series?

That's why I said Remaking. I've seen the uncut "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" (1961) in widescreen on TCM. Also this was the first restored old classic in *stereo* I've viewed, very surprised at the quality of the sound.

In remaking it, I envision a redesigned supersub.

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}

> Excluding the many TV movies that were reunions of cast members from the old tv series, has there ever been a decent feature movie made from an old tv series (other then Star Trek)? I can't think of one.

Yes. The Fugitive.

Movies can never hope to recapture the magic of a Classic TV show. The only ones that came close were the first few STAR TREK films because they were lucky enough to have the original cast. But, once the original cast gets too old or dies off, the magic is lost. I had high hopes for LOST IN SPACE, but the movie BOMBED. When the BIG BUDGET movie tries to outdo the CLASSIC, but simplistic tv show, the result is a flop. It's true, "you can't go home again" and you can't recapture the magic of a classic TV show on the MOVIE screen.

Guess I didn't think this through hard enough. The Fugitive was very good, and I just thought of The Untouchables too. The two Addams Family movies compare favorably to the tv series, although I prefer the tv series. Mission Impossible may have done well at the box office, but I consider it a real stretch from the TV series.

Edited by: mrroberts on Jan 21, 2011 4:50 PM

I know what I'm about to suggest is completely out of touch with today's movie audience, but what i would like to see could be taken from the vast supply of TV westerns. Some series immediately springs to mind "HIGH CHAPPERAL;,, GUNSMOKE, HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL, THE BIG VALLEY and I know there are countless others. However, the reality today would almost certainly work against any big budget western, too bad actually.

Edited by: stjohnrv on Jan 22, 2011 1:31 PM

I've learned that Warner Brothers is in the production stage of the TV classic "The Jetsons", hoping for a 2012 release. This movie has been in limbo and rumor has that the original script was scrapped.

Can't seem to find out much else about it, WB is keeping this a secret for sure.

They better hurry or they won't be that much of a futuristic family by the time of release. Please tell me Jim Carrey is not going to play George! Is this the disaster the Aztecs predicted for 2012?

0924fd426c2704f5cc83382a7ca403ef.jpg

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/SuperGamer/news/?a=11517

Edited by: hamradio on Jan 22, 2011 8:25 PM

> {quote:title=MyFavoriteFilms wrote:}{quote}

> And as I stated earlier, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE. That's probably the most successful film series based on a hit television show.

I'd say that *MI* was clearly beaten by the *Star Trek* film series.

I believe that at one time, there were plans for a theatrical version of the Outer Limits ep Demon with a Glass Hand, but it never got made. I agree that OL provides some good stories that could go feature length.

I think it was back in the 90s, that a theatrical version of The Prisoner was under development, but never made it.

One Step Beyond had some very out-there stories that might make good films.

Going in the other direction, *Topper* became a TV series, that was a favorite of mine, as a kid.