Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I need the name of a movie!!

WayneO66

I am trying to find out the name of a movie probably from the 40's It is a WWII film about allied spies. The only thing about the movie I can remember is that the spies are trained to eat the European way (i.e., always hold the fork in your left hand). One of the scenes is at a cafe where one of the agents cuts his meat then shifts the fork to his right hand. Realizing the mistake, he quickly shifts it back, but he was already spotted. That's all I remember. Any help identifying this film is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I was born and raised in the U.S. -- never lived anywhere else -- and I hold the fork in my left hand, and knife in my right, never putting down either.

Like so many other things, the "American" way of eating has never made any more sense than the U.S fondness for doorknobs over the easy-to-turn doorhandles that're ubiquitous in Europe and elsewhere.

The story is one I heard many times from Germans when I was a student living abroad, or from German exchange students who came here. They even had an explanation for why many (but apparently not all) Americans eat with the left hand under the table except when cutting food, which was that frontier families often had only one knife to share among themselves, so they took turns. Seeing now that the incident in question was in a film makes me wonder whether it ever really happened, or was something so many saw in a film, and then told other people about, that it became embedded in the collective consciousness as real.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> So it's bad table manners to put down either your knife and fork while eating? Holding on to both of them at all times seems to be a good idea if you anticipate being attacked during the meal, but is there any other reason?

Yes. I've had waiters take away my utensils before I was finished eating.

And being Italian, I always anticipate being attacked during every meal.

> {quote:title=nitratefiend wrote:}{quote}

> The story is one I heard many times from Germans when I was a student living abroad, or from German exchange students who came here. They even had an explanation for why many (but apparently not all) Americans eat with the left hand under the table except when cutting food, which was that frontier families often had only one knife to share among themselves, so they took turns.

That doesn?t make much sense. Knives on the frontier were as important as guns, so any pioneer family would have had plenty of knives. It was forks that were scarce, but knives could be used as forks.

As an American child, what I was taught to do was hold a steak down on my plate with my left hand, and cut it with my Bowie knife in my right hand, then poke the piece I had cut with the point of my knife, and raise it to my mouth, being careful not to cut my nose.

On the other hand, we found that just using both hands was best for fried chicken and pork chops, since this type of food has natural handles on them.

I studied in France and was taught to keep my hands in sight on the table or holding the silverware at all times. I was told, one is suspect if his/her hand(s) disappear during the meal.

Growing up in the Midwest, my mother taught me, not to put my hands and elbows on the table during a meal, I became confused.

So, now I eat with my hands in constant motion, up and down, so as not to offend anyone.

I never know whether I'm being pretentious or not when I keep the fork in my left hand. Being quite klutzy and not very dextrous (dexterous?) , I have always found this difficult to do; however, I've always thought people would consider me a boor if I did the knife-fork switch. I decided that the easiest way out was to consume only casseroles, soups, and salads, whereby one doesn't generally need a knife at all. This has solved numerous etiquette dilemmas for me.

Edited by: misswonderly on Jan 30, 2011 11:03 PM