Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Foolish Wives" 1922

laffite

foolishwivesphb-1.jpg

This scene really got to me. Very well done scene by both players, poor Marushka, a maid, is duped horribly by the manipulations of the Count. She is simple and dreadfully gullible but there is no inclination to laugh at her. Just the opposite.

foolishwives2photob.jpg

Von Stroheim is certainly an effective villain. He has a way of licking his lips, running his tongue all around his mouth when contemplating his prey, enhancing his manifestly reptilian countenance.

foolishwives4photob.jpg

*The Foolish Wife*

The DVD has added scenes when compared with an earlier version shown on TCM. I taped one of these on VHS in the 90s. I tried watching both simultaneously to pin point the differences. The additions to the newer one were plentiful, sometimes there were just editing changes with parts of scenes played in different order. In the newer, more complete version, a clergyman stumbles upon the house during the storm scene thereby preventing the Count a sure conquest. The daggered look Stroheim gives him is dramatically pleasing and is missing from the earlier version, to name just one. The more complete version is surely better but I am hopelessly enamored of the Steven Sterner score in the earlier, less complete version. There is much repetition but I like the way he takes the themes and tailors them to the tone of the story. The music is so immediately vibrant. The great Sigmund Romberg wrote the original music (I believe) and is used in the later DVD version and it is hard to quarrel with any of it. I have always liked this movie.

*Gagman*: Thank you for the additional information on *Laura La Plante*. I will give her a better chance next time. BTW, I watched *The Temptress* for the first time (blown away) and there was a blonde actress who appeared very briefly and who looked like Laura. Is it possible? In the banquet scene she is sitting on Fontenoy?s left (the camera?s right) at the beginning of that long and magnificent tracking shot down the table. Just prior to that, she was framed with the gentleman sitting with her, goofing around in line with the general gaiety of the scene (that is, before all hell broke loose, haha). Laura was already established by 1925 so it is not likely that she would be used in such a small, un-credited role like that, but I was intrigued nonetheless. You would probably know immediately if she is Laura or not.

:)