Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Downton Abbey and Mrs. Miniver

dialoguy

Watched Downton Abbey last night and was shocked to see the entire episode about Lady Beldon's Flower Show in Mrs Miniver completely replayed! The author of this "original" screenplay is cited as having said "memories might have lingered in his subconscious but that this criticism was just carping from 'the left' " "Memories might have lingered!"

The topmost "google" on this subject (http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2010/nov/10/mrs-miniver-downton-abbey-julian-fellowes) likewise dismisses this theft, saying "So what if there's a resemblance? There's nothing new under the sun...." Well, there's quite a bit more than a resemblance here. I wonder what others feel about this.

I have been enjoying Downton Abbey. I'm sure sure I will continue to do so, but I don't think this style of creation is to the credit of anyone involved with this production...

Edited by: dialoguy on Jan 24, 2011 10:27 AM

As long as they don't get a Greer Garson look-alike in "Downton Abbey", I'll continue to watch it.

The roses interlude was brief and not worth your worry--Maggie Smith is giving a performance in this mini-series truly befitting an Academy Award winning actress.