Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BETTE DAVIS- BEYOND THE FOREST

billrich

HI FOLKS, MY NAME IS BILLY AND I AM JUST POSTING THIS MESSAGE ABOUT THE MOVIE "BEYOND THE FOREST" I SUGGESTED TO TCM TO PLEASE PLAY THIS MOVIE AS IT IS THE ONLY ONE OF HER MOVIES THAT THEY SIMPLY REFUSE TO AIR. REGARDLESS OF WHAT CRITICS SAY,THIS MOVE WAS "CAMP" AT ITS HIGHEST AND BETTE WAS AT HER NASTY BEST. IT DESERVES RECOGNITION AND FOR THE LIFE OF ME I DON'T SEE WHY IT RECEIVED SUCH SCATHING REVIEWS. I FOUND IT EXTREMELY ENTERTAINING!

*"BEYOND THE FOREST" I SUGGESTED TO TCM TO PLEASE PLAY THIS MOVIE AS IT IS THE ONLY ONE OF HER MOVIES THAT THEY SIMPLY REFUSE TO AIR.*

Billy,

Welcome to the message boards. It's not that TCM refuses to play *Beyond the Forest*, it's that the film has rights issues surrounding it. Until those are worked out, TCM cannot run the film.

*I know TCM has shown this in the past.*

Hibi,

You may be thinking of *The Little Foxes*. I don't think *Beyond the Forest* has aired on TCM. It wasn't part of Bette's Star of the Month turns, her SUTS days or her birthday celebrations.

I'm not sure exactly what the issues are that surround it but Warners Home Video has been trying for some time to get the issues resolved so they can release the film on DVD.

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}

> No, I've seen Beyond The Forest on TCM several times. But it's been quite awhile. I wonder when this "right's issue" came to pass?

No idea. But I'd love to see it. I haven;t been able to find it on DVD or VHS for a reasonable price even.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> *I saw it on some channel 15 or 20 years ago, but I don't remember which channel.*

>

> If the Abend Decision is the underlying rights issue for *Forest*, 20 years would be about right.

Ok, so it must have been on the old AMC back in the '80s.

I remember I didn't like it because Bette nagged all the time, and it looked and sounded like Bette Davis playing Bette Davis. In fact, she looked like a man dressed up like Bette Davis, doing an impersonation of Bette Davis.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> *I wonder when this "right's issue" came to pass?*

>

> It has to do with the literary source the film is based on. I suspect that it ran afoul of the Abend ruling in 1990. A number of films have rights issues due to this ruling:

Ironic, since more than one write-up of the film refers to it as an update of Madame Bovary . Shame it's sitting in a salt mine somewhere, it would make a great double feature with Flamingo Road (also 1949)