Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
billrich

JAPANESE MONSTER FILMS

TIME FOR A MARATHON OF MONSTER FILMS FROM OUR JAPANESE NEIGHBORS TO INCLUDE "GODZILLA RAIDS AGAIN", "MOTHRA", "RODAN", "KING KONG VS. GODZILLA", "GODZILLA VS. THE THING", "THE H MAN", "THE MYSTERIANS", "MONSTER ZERO" and "WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS". HOW ABOUT IT?!

you know I've been watching some of these films for the past few weeks, the original Japanese versions of course, and they are rich in Japanese culture and vibrant color, plus Honda is one of the best directors of Godzilla movies. And the original versions are 10 times as smart compared to the badly dubbed American versions, Honda had worked with Kurosawa on several films and these movies had Japan's top stars in them, with interesting plot twists. Japanese monster flicks are largely much better then most of the American sci-fi productions of the 50's and 60's which almost always involve the military trying to kill an invading monster, unless its a Harryhausen film after the 50's period. Many of these films were part of Japan's golden period(50's,60's) TCM has yet to dedicate a night or day to these classic films that really are only taken seriously by people in the know or fans which is a crime cause many of these films are worthy of study and a lot better then they are given credit for.

As I recall TCM is doing a bunch of them in June. I didn't look it up, but it may be around the 2nd.