Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MyFavoriteFilms

If you were guest programmer...

Let's say you can choose from three to five titles, silent or sound, from any year except 2011.

What would you choose to introduce? I know that some posters were guest progammers a few years ago, right? Would those people select the same films again, or would they choose something else?

Maybe using these guidelines:

- A film that has great personal meaning to you

- A film that you think deserves a wider audience (either because it's obscure or not commercially available)

- A film that is pure escapist entertainment, you just love it no matter how many times you've seen it

- A film that features your favorite artist in a standout role

- A film that represents your favorite director's best work

OK, here you go:

?A film that has great personal meaning to you *The Bishop's Wife*

?A film that you think deserves a wider audience (either because it's obscure or not commercially available) *Holiday Affair*

?A film that is pure escapist entertainment, you just love it no matter how many times you've seen it *Planes, Trains and Automobiles*

?A film that features your favorite artist in a standout role *Mister Roberts*

?A film that represents your favorite director's best work *The Shop Around the Corner*

A film that has great personal meaning to you *Taxi Driver*

A film that you think deserves a wider audience (either because it's obscure or not commercially available) *Sundays and Cybele*

A film that is pure escapist entertainment, you just love it no matter how many times you've seen it *Casablanca*

A film that features your favorite artist in a standout role *In a Lonely Place*

A film that represents your favorite director's best work *L'Avventura*

?A film that has great personal meaning to you: *The Train*

?A film that you think deserves a wider audience: *Seven Thieves*

?A film that is pure escapist entertainment: *Topkapi*

?A film that features your favorite artist in a standout role: *The Big Steal*

?A film that represents your favorite director's best work: *The Big Lebowski*

Such great choices from everyone so far!

_Here are mine:_

A film that has great personal meaning to you: *MR. & MRS. BRIDGE*

A film that you think deserves a wider audience (either because it's obscure or not commercially available): *BIGGER THAN LIFE* (Directed by Nicholas Ray, starring James Mason)

A film that is pure escapist entertainment, you just love it no matter how many times you've seen it: *THE PHILADELPHIA STORY*

A film that features your favorite artist in a standout role: *MAID OF SALEM* (Claudette Colbert)

A film that represents your favorite director's best work: *THE DEAD* (John Huston)

> {quote:title=MyFavoriteFilms wrote:}{quote}

> Let's say you can choose from three to five titles, silent or sound, from any year except 2011.

>

I'll go with four, since that's the number TCM uses in such things

> What would you choose to introduce? I know that some posters were guest progammers a few years ago, right? Would those people select the same films again, or would they choose something else?

>

> Maybe using these guidelines:

>

- A film that has great personal meaning to you

"The Miracle Of Morgan's Creek"

- A film that is pure escapist entertainment, you just love it no matter how many times you've seen it

"Libeled Lady"

- A film that features your favorite artist in a standout role

"Hands Across The Table" (Carole Lombard)

- A film that represents your favorite director's best work

"The Smiling Lieutenant" (Ernst Lubitsch)

A film that has great personal meaning to you *>>> KING KONG (1933)*

A film that you think deserves a wider audience (either because it's obscure or not commercially available) *>>> Complete version of LA RESA DEI CONTI (edited version US title: THE BIG GUNDOWN) with Lee Van Cleef and Tomas Milian; music by Ennio Morricone; directed by Sergio Sollima.*

A film that is pure escapist entertainment, you just love it no matter how many times you've seen it

*>>> Jacques Demy's THE YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT*

A film that features your favorite artist in a standout role *>>> Gene Kelly in CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY*

A film that represents your favorite director's best work >>> *Sam Fuller's PICKUP ON SOUTH ST.*

This is a fun way of putting our choices together. Some great picks so far.

a film that is personally meaningful - WILD RIVER

a film that deserves a wider audience - KING RAT

pure escapist entertainment - FOUL PLAY

a favorite artist in a standout role - DEEP VALLEY (Ida Lupino)

a favorite work of a favorite director - STRAY DOG

film that is personally meaningful - THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS

a film that deserves a wider audience - THE TAMARIND SEED

pure escapist entertainment - THE MUSIC MAN

a favorite artist in a standout role - STAR! (Julie Andrews)

a favorite work of a favorite director - DIAL M FOR MURDER

> {quote:title=kingrat wrote:}{quote}

> pure escapist entertainment - FOUL PLAY

I've never cared for it....overrated, IMHO. It's a ripoff of Hitchcock's far superior (and far more escapist, IMHO) The Man Who Knew Too Much.

Since they rarely allow more than four films for a guest programmer, I've made one of them a short:

film that is personally meaningful - "To Kill a Mockingbird"

a film that deserves a wider audience - "Shoeshine"

pure escapist entertainment - "Gidget Goes to Rome"

a favorite artist in a standout role - Harold Lloyd in "An Eastern Westerner"

a favorite work of a favorite director - Hitchcock's "Young and Innocent" if for nothing else than the longshot that climaxes the film

?A film that has great personal meaning to you: Gone With the Wind

?A film that you think deserves a wider audience (either because it's obscure or not commercially available): The Crowd

?A film that is pure escapist entertainment, you just love it no matter how many times you've seen it:

Goodfellas

?A film that features your favorite artist in a standout role: Yankee Doodle Dandy

?A film that represents your favorite director's best work: The Great Dictator

I haven't seen YOUNG AND INNOCENT. I recently watched THE LADY VANISHES and was very impressed...it's on par with anything that Hitch did in Hollywood. I am surprised that he didn't use Dame May Whitty again in a U.S. film, since they both emigrated from England around the same time.

Ooops...I just checked her filmography. She has a featured role in SUSPICION.

Edited by: MyFavoriteFilms on Jan 27, 2011 2:09 PM

WILD RIVER sort of fits in the category of 'deserves a wider audience.' It is underplayed on cable, and considering the director (Kazan) and that impeccable cast, plus its potent story, it really should be dusted off and shown more often.

I like your selection of THE CROWD. It's a must for anyone that is considering a career as a film director or a job in cinematography. The shots are very innovative (for its time, and it holds up very well). The director of WORKING GIRL, Mike Nichols, pays tribute to THE CROWD with some of his story and camera work.

This was a bit tough, but a lot of fun to compile.

* A film that has great personal meaning to you: FIVE STAR FINAL (1931)

* A film that you think deserves a wider audience (either because it's obscure or not commercially available): ALIAS NICK BEAL (1949)

* A film that is pure escapist entertainment, you just love it

no matter how many times you've seen it: A FISH CALLED WANDA (1988)

* A film that features a favorite artist in a standout role: Harold Lloyd in THE KID BROTHER (1927)

* A film that represents your favorite director's best work: IKIRU (1951)

I have never seen A Fish Called Wanda but it will be available on Instant Netflix soon.

*A film that has great personal meaning to you:*

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans: After years of thinking I wouldn't be able to appreciate Silent films this is the film that opened the door to me to Silent Movies.

*A film that you think deserves a wider audience (either because it's obscure or not commercially available)*

Ossessione the Italian version of the Postman Always Rings Twice. Some film historians also list it as the start of the Italian Neorealism movement though that is debatable.

If I hadn't already listed as silent film in Sunrise I would have put The Wind with Lillian Gish as a second choice.

*A film that is pure escapist entertainment, you just love it*

The Adventures of Robin Hood a great cast of lead and character actors, beautiful technicolor, great script and music and probably the best Robin Hood film that is out there even after all these years.

*A film that features a favorite artist in a standout role:*

Charade: After a few previous tries (Grant backed out of Roman Holiday, Sabrina and Love in the Afternoon) this is the one and only time Grant & Hepburn worked together (yeah I know I am cheating a bit because that is too actors)

*A film that represents your favorite director's best work:*

I can't decide between these two films from favorite directors (I have more favorites than these)-

Ernst Lubitsch's Trouble in Paradise a wonderful precode sophisticated romantic comedy.

or

Jean Renoir's La Grand Illusion in my opinion a perfect and unique anti-war film

edit: Maybe I will go with Renoir because other people covered Lubitsch :)

Edited by: Kinokima on Jan 27, 2011 6:47 PM

Depends on what day of the week and what kind of mood I am in...here's my list today!

A film that has great personal meaning to you: *To Kill a Mockingbird*

A film that you think deserves a wider audience (either because it's obscure or not commercially available) : *Scent of Green Papaya*

A film that is pure escapist entertainment, you just love it no matter how many times you've seen it: *The Mummy* (with Brendon Frasier)

A film that features your favorite artist in a standout role: *Jimmy Stewart in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington* (I suggest all politicians watch it...once a month)

A film that represents your favorite director's best work: Alfred Hitchcock's *The Birds*

I think Cary would've been good in SABRINA, but all wrong for LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON...Coop seems more American to me, Cary still has some Brit about him.

One of the things about CHARADE that doesn't work for me is that she chases him. It makes her stronger but it weakens him. I think he should be using her pursuit of him to indirectly pursue her. It's been awhile since I've seen it, so maybe that is the subtext. I can't remember. But from what I recall, she is more the man and he is more the woman in it.

I like what you said about THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD. Isn't it something how not even Costner was able to top Errol Flynn's performance? It is truly a remarkable film for all the reasons you stated.

THE BIRDS is a gripping horror picture, more frightening than PSYCHO in my opinion. We can stay away from seedy motels, but we can never stay away from birds that may want to swoop down and attack. LOL And if you have any sort of fear of animals or wild life, this film will exaggerate that fear for you.

I also like THE MUMMY with Brendan Fraser. I think it's very stylishly done and one of the best modern remakes in a long time.