Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Streaming Idea

SDPeterson

I hope someday TCM begins steaming their fabulous classic movies like Netflix does via Roku and similar products. I would get rid of my cable company (except for internet service) in the blink of an eye. TCM is just about the only movie channel I watch religously.

Does anyone have knowledge of this ever happening?

> {quote:title=SDPeterson wrote:}{quote}

> I hope someday TCM begins steaming their fabulous classic movies like Netflix does via Roku and similar products. I would get rid of my cable company (except for internet service) in the blink of an eye. TCM is just about the only movie channel I watch religously.

>

> Does anyone have knowledge of this ever happening?

Since TCM doesn't own any of the films they show and must lease all of them, it doesn't have the rights to stream them. To negotiate the streaming rights would probably be too expensive so I doubt they will.

• 2 months later...

Probably would depend on the corprate bean counters at TCM's parent company, Time-Warner, as to whether they could make money on it or not.The downside is the more people who watched it streaming means less watching it on cable. The fewer viewers TCM draws to cable, the less the cable companies will want to pay for TCM.

Somehow I doubt it.

The one thing that holds me back from switching to Apple TV is the loss of access to TCM. I'm really torn about it. Netflix doesn't have a lot of the old stuff available for streaming. I hope TCM is listening, because it's the way of the future, I think.

> {quote:title=markfp2 wrote:}{quote}

> Probably would depend on the corprate bean counters at TCM's parent company, Time-Warner, as to whether they could make money on it or not.The downside is the more people who watched it streaming means less watching it on cable. The fewer viewers TCM draws to cable, the less the cable companies will want to pay for TCM.

>

> Somehow I doubt it.

And since TCM's parent company, Time Warner, actually has a cable company--Time Warner Cable, which is the cable company in my area--there would probably be great resistance within the corporate umbrella to doing anything that would take away from cable.

I do hope one day they might make Robert Osborne's commentaries available online for viewing.

Robbie

> And since TCM's parent company, Time Warner, actually has a cable company--Time Warner Cable, which is the cable company in my area--there would probably be great resistance within the corporate umbrella to doing anything that would take away from cable.>

Robbie,

I think Time-Warner the corporation sold off Time-Warner cable company a few years back (around 2008).

But, either way, at least for now, I don't think Time-Warner the corporation would be real keen on streaming their classic film library and if they were, the fees involved they would charge to do so would probably be beyond TCM's reach. Especially compared to what they currently pay in rental fees.

And, are MrCutter and I, even with a high speed DSL internet connection, the only ones who dislike streaming? Every film we have tried streaming starts out great but about half way through the film, everything comes to a halt so it can buffer. Then the film starts again, then stops for buffering, continues, stops, repeat until the movie ends.

Given a choice, we prefer recording Pay-per-view films or On Demand films over streaming.

We have yet to enjoy a film all the way through without interruption while streaming.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> I think Time-Warner the corporation sold off Time-Warner cable company a few years back (around 2008).

Looks like it was March 2009. I rarely keep up with this corporate ownership stuff. It's not as interesting as watching films or TV shows. :-) I wonder why they continue to keep the Time Warner name when they are no longer owned by Time Warner.

> And, are MrCutter and I, even with a high speed DSL internet connection, the only ones who dislike streaming? Every film we have tried streaming starts out great but about half way through the film, everything comes to a halt so it can buffer. Then the film starts again, then stops for buffering, continues, stops, repeat until the movie ends.

>

> Given a choice, we prefer recording Pay-per-view films or On Demand films over streaming.

>

> We have yet to enjoy a film all the way through without interruption while streaming.

Yeah, I have high-speed DSL and I haven't been able to watch much streaming video that doesn't stutter or halt for buffering. There's all this talk about Hulu and Netflix streaming being so great. Every TV show I have tried to watch from Hulu has had buffering issues. Right now the only thing I might consider is Amazon's Instant Video service which will actually download the video to the newer Tivo boxes.

I mentioned wanting to see Robert Osborne's commentaries available for streaming from the TCM web site one day because they are short enough that buffering issues should not be a problem.

Robbie