Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Today's "Stars"...Rehab SISSIES!

Ascotrudgeracer

Charlie Sheen walks into "rehab."

Can you imagine John Barrymore, Errol Flynn, John Wayne, etc., entering a "rehab facility"?

HAH!

Those oldtime, great party animals, including Spencer Tracy, wouldn't have anything to do with these lightweights, who cry to momma and doctor because they like to get drunk and high.

Why I say, nothing new is any good. The oldtime greats have these pretenders beat in all ways.

Personally, I think it's shameful to criticize anyone, celebrity or otherwise, who is willing to admit they have a substance abuse problem and seek help for it.

I wish Charlie Sheen nothing but success in his recovery, and I think it's manly of him to try to turn his life around.

So Charlie Sheen is a sissy for finally trying to get some help for his out-of-control life? His addiction problems could not only torpedo his career but the hit show *Two and a Half Men* and all those people responsible for delivering episodes each week would be out of work.

His addiction problems go beyond being an alcoholic which many of the classic era stars were. And they go beyond showing up late for work because you were tying one on the night before.

He is at the point with his problems where he could end up dead if he doesn't take this rehab seriously.

But, hey, I guess it's better to be dead from your addictions than to be called a sissy.

For the record, many "Golden Age of Hollywood" stars DID go into rehab....only back then they called those places "sanitariums" and those stars would check themselves in to "take the cure" or "dry out". Stars like John Barrymore and even W.C. Fields would TRY to kick the stuff, but they would soon go back to their old habits upon leaving the facility.

A big problem in those days was the fact that many of those wild stars didn't have to suffer the consequences of their actions.....The studio heads would cover for them and make things "go away" if the stars got themselves in trouble. The studios would do whatever it took to avoid scandals and bad publicity involving their stars. Even today, we don't know the HALF of what went on back then!

"Rehab" is a lucrative INDUSTRY for business types seizing on an opportunity to get very rich. Why do you think there are so many "rehab" places in Malibu, Palm Beach and other lush locations? I beat the most serious addiction possible -- prescription narcotics -- by locking myself in my house until my opiate receptors were empty. I couldn't afford -- nor would I want -- a beachfront villa with doctors and nurses to wipe my...brow.

On this site, we respect and honor the great stars of yesterday, not spoiled brats who cry in their piles of cocaine because "Daddy didn't see me hit my home run in Little League" ... which is why I spend my money on drugs and hookers.

Edited by: Ascotrudgeracer on Jan 29, 2011 9:09 PM

Probably not worthwhile to respond to, but....

Drug and alcohol abuse killed Wallace Reid and Alma Rubens; it certainly contributed to the deaths of Barbara La Marr and John Gilbert. Had modern rehabilitation techniques existed in those days, there's a chance that all of them would've reached 40.

One notable example of someone who conquered her alcohol dependency and lived the rest of her life trying to help others conquer theirs was Lillian Roth (who may qualify as a "great star of yesterday"). Would you call her a "rehab sissy" to her face just because she received help from AA?

I think you might be getting your biographical info from 1930s issues of "Modern Screen." Any contemporary biography of some of those stars you mention paint a portrait filled with personal demons and endless problems. Hardly carefree party animals...particularly Spencer Tracy (even Hepburn admitted he was a tormented man).

Have a look at bloated, dumpy John Barrymore in his last movie PLAYMATES with Kay Kyser, and tell me he was happy and proud of his "party animal" lifestyle.

The "great stars of yesterday" were humans, like the ones of today.

In the good old days if a star had to go into rehab the studio made sure to cover it up- like when unmarried pregnant stars took nine months rest vacations- "sissies" sounds like a rather quaint term- in the case of Sheen if he doesn't clean himself up he will soon be dead.

*I beat the most serious addiction possible -- prescription narcotics -- by locking myself in my house until my opiate receptors were empty.*

Not everyone has your willpower and commitment to getting clean and staying clean. You were able to do it by going cold turkey but everyone's ability to do the same is based on their personalities and their desire to get clean.

Having been able to overcome it yourself, you know how hard it is.

You would think that rather than lord that over people who don't have that same willpower and yet realize that they need help to get clean, you would have a tad more compassion because you know how hard a road they have in front of them.

The first step to getting clean is admitting you have a problem. The second step is admitting you need to do something about it.

I'd rather Charlie Sheen get help for his addictions than end up dead because he wasn't strong enough to do it cold turkey.

One point is, rehab is an INDUSTRY!

As far as alcoholism, geography has more to do with it than anything!

PROOF: peoples living near the equator, peoples living in the Middle East, drink alcohol, but alcoholism rates are near zero.

But the farther north one looks, alcoholism rates skyrocket (Russia, the Arctic).

Then there is this: choose jail or rehab.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility and sheer courage to change without a bunch of highly-paid experts? We're not talking about cancer.

When I see pictures and films of Flynn in the 50s, and compare him to this beautiful and dynamic young man in the 30s and 40s, see later films of Barrymore where is he sadly aged and diminished, learn about actors like Gail Russell (of "The Uninvited"), Montgomery Clift, and others who went to early deaths, I feel incredibly sad. "Tough guy" Spencer Tracy was nursed through drunken episodes and recovery by Katharine Hepburn. Then, there are the broken marriages and relationships that also resulted from addictions. People who could have had long careers and healthy relationships were physically and emotionally damaged by this disease. To call those seeking treatment "sissies" is like telling someone with lung cancer who quits smoking and gets radiation a "wimp."

I challenge you people on this board to check the PRICE it costs to go to a Charlie Sheen, Lohan, etc., rehab facility.

It is a BUSINESS!

Look at the failure rate, the re-addiction rate.

It's a scam, you know it, but you have the common reaction to it: "Isn't it wonderful so-and-so it trying to change."

People can cure themselves, but the rehab industry convinces society "you can't do it alone."

Of course you can...for free.

It's like dieting...it shouldn't COST money, it should SAVE you money; buy less food, don't eat so much, take personal responsibility.

I challenge you people on this board to check the PRICE it costs to go to a Charlie Sheen, Lohan, etc., rehab facility.

It is a BUSINESS!

Look at the failure rate, the re-addiction rate.

It's a scam, you know it, but you have the common reaction to it: "Isn't it wonderful so-and-so it trying to change."

People can cure themselves, but the rehab industry convinces society "you can't do it alone."

Of course you can...for free.

It's like dieting...it shouldn't COST money, it should SAVE you money; buy less food, don't eat so much, take personal responsibility.

Is the "failure" due to the clinics, or due to the innate difficulty curing addictions. Even those who have done AA and other free or low-cost programs may lose sobriety from time to time. Is addiction a disease, or are the sufferers merely weak-willed? These are difficult questions beyond the scope of this forum. All I can think of is a quote from John Spencer (himself a recovering alcoholic) as the character Leo in "West Wing" saying that the alcoholic can't watch someone leaving a half-empty glass of wine or liquor at the table without regret, while someone without the "disease" would think nothing of it. Perhaps it is the same with eating issues -- some of us can close the box even if there are a couple of cookies left, while some of us can't. The difference is that alcohol and drugs are infinitely more damaging to the body and mind.

Since Ray Milland is SOTM, I guess we'd classify his performance in "Lost Weekend" as that of a pathetic weakling, rather than an intelligent man struggling with a disease. Guess he really didn't deserve that Oscar...