Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your 2011 Summer Under the Stars Suggestions

Cheers gagman I agree that his films are not shown enough on TV nor are they available for sale that often. Universal put out many of his films and it is high time for a complete Audie Murphy box set. Only 13 of his films are available on dvd out of 49 titles (one in the public domain with audie in a bit part). Almost all of his films have been shown at one time on AMC, the westerns channel, Encore Action and TCM so it seems to me that a complete Audie Murphy box set with all his films (minus Whispering Smith the TV show he made for one season which is available on DVD) is long over due. Audie deserves this respect if not more respect than any other actor because of what he did in WWII.

Luckily I own about 22 of his films on my computer that people uploaded to download on a certain forum, which shall remain nameless due to all the corporate detectives that roam this forum. Contact me as a PM if u want to know where u can too download these films not yet on dvd or out of print on VHS. There are only 9 titles I do not own right now. All of his films and the TV show that are on dvd or vhs I own. I am not against downloading as long as it is not available on dvd and if the vhs tape is out of print.

I would also like to add that the movie *The Unforgiven* with Audrey Hepburn and Burt Lancaster with Audie playing their brother is also one of his BEST films. The Unforgiven was also directed by John Houston and in my opinion is one of Houston's best and an out of character role for Audrey Hepburn who plays a half breed Indian stolen in secret by a white man and raised as Burt and Audie's brother. This movie also features Lillian Gish as their mother. The Unforgiven is also available on DVD and VHS tape, I own the VHS tape. If I had room to add that to the list I would only because it is one of his best and a great movie. One that I highly recommend. If anyone thought that Audie was not a good actor should watch this movie.

PM me for information on where u too can download the movies not yet on dvd.

PS. Beware of posting links to download sites and you tube channels that feature classic films with a copyright, there are many corporate Warner Bros people that that roam this forum, find those links and shut them down. At least 2 amazing sites with movies uploaded that were not on dvd at You Tube have been taken down thanks to Warner Bros because of being linked to this forum. One was a great channel with all of WC fields films that are NOT available on DVD yet and that channel is now gone thanks to being linked here.

I think WB has no right to do this, release them on dvd in an affordable manner or let these you tube channels alone!

> {quote:title=cody1949 wrote:}{quote}

> I like a lot of your suggestions,but allow me to add two more. For Joan Bennett let's add , TRADE WINDS. TCM has shown 2 other Walter Wanger productions,HOUSE ACROSS THE BAY and SUNDOWN and even offered them on DVD. I would love to see TRADE WINDS on DVD. For Ella Raines lets add her first major role in CORVETTE K-225 with Randolph Scott.

I'd like to see TRADE WINDS and CORVETTE K-225 as well. I believe TW is the movie where Joanie switched from blonde to brunette...during the film.

I just noticed TCM put up the Essentials lineup for the upcoming year in the Movie News Section. The four selections for August are:

8/6/2011 Stage Door

8/13/2011 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

8/20/2011 A Place in the Sun

8/27/2011 A Letter to Three Wives (whohoo!!!)

I'm guessing it will be Hepburn, Stewart, Taylor, and Kirk Douglas chosen for those days. My long shots (*keeping fingers crossed*) are Vera Miles for the 13th and Linda Darnell (or even Thelma Ritter) for the 27th.

> {quote:title=countessdelave wrote:}{quote}

> I'm all for Ronald Colman and both of the Talmadges.

The Talmadge's like Colleen Moore, isn't going to happen for awhile yet. Not until TCM has lots of films ready to air in a broadcast format. The three features that I mentioned have never been broadcast, but could be sometime this year. As far as I can recall they have never run any Norma Talmadge pictures.

Incidentally, is there no Ronald Colman fan group on TCM CFU? I couldn't find one. I was trying to link some photos to the group, and it just isn't there.

Well Katharine Hepburn was SUTS last year so 8/6 could also be Ginger Rogers or even Lucille Ball.

8/13 could be Stewart but also Wayne

8/20 Taylor was last year but maybe Clift or Winters?

edit: Also YES to Ronald Colman. :)

Edited by: Kinokima on Feb 4, 2011 3:07 PM

> I just noticed TCM put up the Essentials lineup for the upcoming year in the Movie News Section. The four selections for August are:

>

> 8/6/2011 Stage Door

>

> 8/13/2011 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

>

> 8/20/2011 A Place in the Sun

>

> 8/27/2011 A Letter to Three Wives (whohoo!!!)

>

> I'm guessing it will be Hepburn, Stewart, Taylor, and Kirk Douglas chosen for those days.

Good detective work. I think it will be Clift, since they did Taylor last year.

They won't pick Vera Miles. If they are choosing a western as the essential, it will have as its focus one of the male stars. I don't see Alec Baldwin discussing a female in a western. No way. LOL

They do Hepburn so darn often...I hope that instead of Kate, STAGE DOOR will be for Ginger, Lucy, Ann Miller or Adolphe Menjou. Even Andrea Leeds would be better than KH again.

I couldn't believe that Ronald Colman has never been SOTM so I checked and you are indeed correct. That is just a travesty. :(

I might have to start the Ronald Colman for SOTM campaign soon well if no one else beats me to it!

> {quote:title=countessdelave wrote:}{quote}

>

> Gagman, I'd also love to see Colleen Moore films. I've seen so few and she's delightful.

Say, If you like Colleen Moore please join her Fan Group on TCM CFU. Currently there only about 6 members. There are about 30 or so that are listed in the "I am a fan of page", but that is not the same as the fan groups, and i don't think most people understand that. You could join the Clara Bow, Renee Adoree, and John Gilbert fan group's too among others. These groups need members. And a Ronald Colman one apparently hasn't yet been formed.

You're right about Liberty Valance. That's why I considered Vera Miles to be a long shot. As great as Wayne and Stewart were, they usually get honored by TCM at least once a year (which is fine by me). I was hoping for someone who doesn't get observed as often.

I forgot about Taylor being among the stars for last year. Monty Clift would be great... I hope the network can air Wild River. Saw it several years ago, and it was outstanding!!

I'd be very pleased if WILD RIVER found its way on to the schedule. For those that are sick of THE HEIRESS, it will probably air again...since Monty has a rather short filmography. I love the film he made with John Huston after THE MISFITS called FREUD. That would be a real treat if they get hold of a print of that one...I watched it in college and it is very hard to find.

Yes, I don't see Alec discussing Vera Miles' acting. And if they were to discuss John Wayne's acting, they would pick TRUE GRIT. So my guess is they are doing a tribute for Jimmy Stewart that day.

As for STAGE DOOR, I doubt it will be Adolphe Menjou. It's a woman's pic, so it's going to be one of the ladies.

> {quote:title=MyFavoriteFilms wrote:}{quote}

> > I just noticed TCM put up the Essentials lineup for the upcoming year in the Movie News Section. The four selections for August are:

> >

> > 8/6/2011 Stage Door

> >

> > 8/13/2011 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

> >

> > 8/20/2011 A Place in the Sun

> >

> > 8/27/2011 A Letter to Three Wives (whohoo!!!)

> >

> > I'm guessing it will be Hepburn, Stewart, Taylor, and Kirk Douglas chosen for those days.

>

> Good detective work. I think it will be Clift, since they did Taylor last year.

>

> They won't pick Vera Miles. If they are choosing a western as the essential, it will have as its focus one of the male stars. I don't see Alec Baldwin discussing a female in a western. No way. LOL

>

> They do Hepburn so darn often...I hope that instead of Kate, STAGE DOOR will be for Ginger, Lucy, Ann Miller or Adolphe Menjou. Even Andrea Leeds would be better than KH again.

K. Hepburn has been featured on SUTS six times -- more than any other actor of either gender -- so I'm hoping it's not for her. And you would think, with Ginger's centenary coming in July, that she would be its star of the month (just as Carole Lombard was in October 2008 and Jean Harlow will be in March). So let's hope "Stage Door" will represent either Ann Miller or Lucille Ball.

I don't think Ginger Rogers will be SOTM in July since she was just SOTM this past March 2010. It does seem odd they didn't wait for her Centennial to make her SOTM but I can't see them choosing her again so soon.

She could very well be chosen for August SUTS though.

My guess is that it will be for Ann Miller..she is one of those stars whose work does not seem strong enough to warrant a monthly tribute but yet it is substantial enough for a full-day marathon. Lucy, on the other hand, has more wide-ranging work and more titles for them to choose from for a month-long celebration. But I could be wrong.

The thing with Ginger is that she was just SOTM in March last year. Would they go with her again, so soon? Maybe they can get some of her Fox titles and then it will seem 'new' all over again. Since I love Ginger, I don't have a problem with them repeating her. But again, it has to include some different titles.

I think we can consider Montgomery Clift a done deal. He is no doubt the one they are honoring on the day that A PLACE IN THE SUN airs.

A LETTER TO THREE WIVES is probably for Ann Sothern...she has a lot of RKO and MGM titles and her films are easier for them to access. Unless they are going with Jeanne Crain, and that is a possibility since they did Gene Tierney last year.

> {quote:title=Kinokima wrote:}{quote}

> I couldn't believe that Ronald Colman has never been SOTM so I checked and you are indeed correct. That is just a travesty. :(

>

> I might have to start the Ronald Colman for SOTM campaign soon well if no one else beats me to it!

THE UNHOLY GARDEN (1931) was scheduled a year or two ago and was replaced.

Yes I could see Ginger getting a 24 hour tribute on her birthday possibly. Although they might wait until August.

Of course I wouldn't mind if that day was for Lucille Ball because I actually have seen very few of her movies.

edit: And one reason I want to see Ronald Colman as SOTM is because I have not seen any of his silents and that would be a good chance to see them.

Edited by: Kinokima on Feb 6, 2011 12:11 PM

> Of course I wouldn't mind if that day was for Lucille Ball because I actually have seen very few of her movies.

They do play Lucille Ball's films. But they tend to fall under tributes to other stars, like Hepburn or Hope or Skelton.

I agree with sweetsmell's comment that Ginger will likely have an all-day birthday tribute. That seems the best compromise, especially since she was SOTM a year ago.

I would still love it if they acquired some of her pictures from Fox. She made several good films over there in the 50s.