Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What has happen to AMC?

Guest lamarr, hedy

Guest lamarr, hedy

I had AMC way before TCM. TCM got turned on in my area last year, and I must admit I became a big fan, not as big as I am now. AMC I have to admit changed it seem, when TCM got turned on in my area. I started to see a change last December, where they showed more commercials, and more and more current movies were being shown, then they cut off The Little Rascals and The Three Stooges. I was ****, excuse my languge. I was mad because AMC really did have great rare classics, even though I didn't watch classics much, but now looking back, they really did have some rare classics. When TCM got showed in my area, that's when I became hooked, but I remember AMC had some great classics, I wish I would of watched and recorded then. AMC showed a lot of 20th Century Fox, Columbia, Paramount, a lot of rare shorts. TCM shows MGM, RKO, Warner Bros. I hope its true what's going around that AMC is going to have another channel set to show only movies of the 30s, 40s, and 50s. They shouldn't do that, they should stop showing the stuff they showing on the channel now, and go back to the way they use to, because they lost a lot of viewers, we already have channels that show the movies they show. For a year I've been a avid watcher of TCM, and I think I've seen it all, so now I'm ready to see other classics, if only AMC could get 20th CENTURY FOX films, then we could see more of Martha Raye, Alice Faye, Betty Grable, Carole Landis, John Payne, Carmen Miranda, Cesar Romero, Gene Tierney, Linda Darnell, Susan Hayward, and many others. How do you all feel about AMC?

I used to watch AMC a lot, but now I hardly ever do. Why? They constantly increase the commercial interruptions. For several years AMC had none.....those were the glory days. Then they pleaded budget problems, and introduced commercials before and after movies; then commercials in the middle of movies, and now they have them every 10 minutes! To heck with that. If there's an old movie I want to watch, I'll try and catch it on TCM, or just buy it on DVD and skip the advertisements.

Guest FRANCOS

AMC? Whats that? Oh, yes, now I remember. the story goes like that; once there was agreat network call AMC (American Movie Classic)who, by anyone's opinion was one of the best places to watch great classic American films that other networks could only dream of. But they got too gready, and jumped into the bandwaggon of commrecialization and profits. Now, they're pathetically out of place. The programs they air now is no diffrent then what the other useless networks are showing; boring and predictable modern hollywood blunders. Usually this month I would glue myself into the screen watching "Monsterfest", which I did in previous Octobers watching classic horror films such as "The Bride of Frenkinstein" , "The Wolfman" and so on, but now, I dont even bother turning in because I know that these films are no more on AMC,and if they're, they have edited and cut so much to fit in commercial breaks. Within a week, they have shown Predator II more than 20 times. Classic movies are now a thing of the past for AMC. They have deviated so far from what their reputation was once the backbone; calssic movies. I'll tell you one thing, it bothers me when I see the logo "AMC"on the screen because its no longer true. They no longer provide viewers with classic films, therefore I submit that they're false advertising and should have the logo change to something else. I hope they loose so many viewers that they reconsider their decision. I have stopped watching, now its your turn.

Guest Cat, Maggie the

Your basic facts are true, but your framing is a bit harsh. Unlike TCM, AMC doesn't own any of its programming; they lease it from the copyright holders. So they have an additional expense. When the bottom fell out of the advertising industry, cable providers quit paying top dollar for programming, especially since the explosion of new channels had created a buyers' market. So AMC (and its sister channel, Bravo) had to accept advertising to stay afloat. Advertisers want young viewers, because young people's buying habits have not fully formed. Young viewers, in turn, aren't interested in old movies, hence the new emphasis on '80s and '90s films. I don't think they were motivated so much by greed as survival. And that's based on some considerable research I did on this topic a couple of months ago.

Guest FRANCOS

Are you kidding? Before their metamorphism, they had close to 70 million viewers and growing. I don't think their decision was based on financial instability at all. Furthermore, I think they have been seduced by the same greed that struck Bravo some years ago; transforming a once Superb network for Films/Arts, into another useless cable tv. As far as I'm concern, AMC has let its viewers down big time. However, I do agree with you for saying that the recent change is a way of drawing younger viewers, but aren't there too many of these mindless tv out there for violent-crave, sexual addict, boy crazy, **** youngens? What's the point for turning one good network into another void? To make young people more dumb and silly than they already are? if that is the case, they will certainly succeed, America has lots of them(no offense).

Guest Cat, Maggie the

No, I'm not kidding, buddyjack. I do my homework. I have citations. What have you got? From Broadcasting & Cable:

Without advertising, Rainbow's networks needed to increase license fees or add subscribers to grow. The networks started out as "mini-pays," sold to consumers like Home Box Office but cheaper, $4 or so monthly. Now they're all sold as channels for basic cable, seeking 20-40 cents a month from cable operators. Cable operators fiercely fight paying any more per subscriber than they have to, especially for weak programming. Further, cable subscriber growth has stalled, and even DBS services are starting to slow. In the long run, if Rainbow is to generate much financial growth, its networks need to start generating ad revenue.

AMC and Bravoand TCM, for that matterdo not exist to serve the viewer, or to enlighten our nation's youth. They exist to increase value for their shareholders. Sounds cold-blooded, and it is. But this is a capitalist country, and that's how the system works.

• 2 months later...

Unless it is a John Wayne or a true 'golden oldie'- I don't bother with AMC, I don't know what audience they are trying to attract but whatever their reasons were for ruining an excellent channel- they can have it, I don't care if it's on my cable system or not.

• 4 weeks later...

AMC no longer stands for "American Movie Classics". More appropriately, it should stand for "Always Mediocre Crap".

What an embarrassment it has become.

"Classic Images" said several months ago that ACM was planning to develop a 2nd network which WOULD show uninterrupted classic films. Is that still in the works?

They also said that ACM's viewship was down by 30% just BEFORE they added even more commercials a few months ago. Does anyone know if their viewership has nosedived even further?

AMC??? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

• 3 weeks later...

Are these knuckleheads still calling themselves "American Movie Classics" or are they sticking to AMC?

I glanced at their movie schedule: "The Incredible Shrinking Woman", "Smokey And The Bandit II", "Valley Girl".

Sounds like American Movie Classics to me...

You know what I miss the most is Remember WENN. That was a fabulous show...great costumes and all...I grew up on AMC and could just sit all day watching it. The commentary was great, and now all gone. Now I keep TCM on in the background all day, and the website is my homepage. I feel like the only 21 year-old who knows old movies....any other young people out there too?

I am also a 21 year old who grew up watching AMC. The OLD AMC which introduced me to some of my favorite movies in the world...rare classics like "A Song is Born" "The Black Swan" "Swing Time" and "At Sword's Point" Without the Old AMC it seems like the world has forgotten that these films exist, which means I'll probably never be able to find them elsewhere. Sadly, most people my age will never know the greatness of old movies.

I'm 16 and in love with classic movies...Luckily one of my best friends in the entire world is in love with them to(she's 17) so we have each other...lol

but AMC...I watch it rarely...like if some more modern movie comes on I wanna see or if a real classic comes on(like Laura came on the other day! or Sunset Blvd.)

but if you miss the movie, don't worry it will come on about 495793475903475490 million more times

AMC plays more legitimate classics in the mornings: Funny Face, How Green Was My Valley, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Laura etc.

Also French Connection, Roman Holiday, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and To Catch a Thief will pop up every other day.

It's pretty funny watching them play commercials of viewers requesting movies and it's always the same seven classics they always play anyway.

Yes, AMC has become ridiculous and laugh-worthy. I hate to be such a snob, but come ON. i don't care how many times you play "Laurence of Arabia" on your station, I am not going to watch it with commercials and cut to hell with pan and scan. I hope you all agree.

Let's face it. TCM copied AMC and bought all the rights to every decent movie. Now AMC has Elvis. Fortunately when Turner bought the rights to these films he had given up the idea of colorizing them. (Thanks Marty!! Thanks Steven!!)

I don't really care because TCM does a great job and mixes up the films pretty well. But if you go back 20 years and wanted to see "Wuthuring Heights" you saw it on AMC. Oops! Get who got the rights to that film and showed it for the first time in January?

But I ddo miss those AMC hosts sometimes.

Doc

i agree with you about AMC...TCM is doing a great job, but let's live up to the name "american movie classics" and show some real movies, don't just wait for the holidays...one day by chance i caught a film called the "st louis blues"- the biography of w.c.handy-father of the blues w/ pearl bailey, nat king cole, eartha kitt..it never came on again--this was 2 years ago..i have been searching because i would like to tape it..

• 15 years later...
3 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

Now, all they do is produce original programming and get lots of Emmy nominations. Shame on them ! :P

Yeah!  THAT'LL show 'em, for trying to be different from other cable networks!  :lol: 

Whadda they want us to do, tell them apart from HBO and Showtime?