Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TVMovie/Miniseries Trivia

The night it first aired, this TVM was a ratings winner; part of the competition was a political speech. It is my strong impression that it was a newscaster and not a comedian who quipped "(The President) found out the country would rather watch ______ ________ run, than watch him run."

The woman does enter the Boston Marathon. She finishes it; goes the distance. The film ends after nightfall, everything over and most people gone home. Only a few friends and family members waiting at the finish line. The last one in, but some gave up. Just to finish was, for her, a win.

{font:Times New Roman}Thanks.

This actress won the first Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Movie, in 1979, after the category was established, for a movie about a girl befriending a POW, and the next film this veteran actress made was a tv-movie adaptation of a novelist and poet’s autobiography, the first of six books chronicling her life. Name the actress and the two notable tv-movies.{font}

{font:Calibri}Here's another one then:

A Two-time Oscar-winning actress (Best Actress/Supp. Actress) starred in television adaptations of two different films, a 1969 tv movie remake and a 1972 tv movie remake. In the original B&W movies of the same name, the two roles (of the two films) were played by the same actress, one of which she won an Oscar for. (Is this confusing?) We have two different actresses who played the same two roles in two versions of the stories, two original B&W films and two tv-film adaptations. Name the two actresses and the movie titles A hint: the characters they play are very sweet people! (“And don’t you be calling them the girls.”) {font}

Edited by: allaboutlana on Oct 12, 2011 8:59 AM

Hints: The two-time Oscar winning actress holds the record for the longest span between Oscar wins.and one of the two films mentioned below is seen on TCM from time to time, but is more appropriately scheduled in October, especially on Halloween night.

Any guesses from flash, lavender, Miles or Mr6666? I'll let this go a little longer, I guess. The actresses in question are J.H. (who was in the B&W films) and H.H. (who was in the tv versions.) (They played the same character.)

Quotes from B&W movies in question: "I know whose fault it is, and I'm not telling."

and "Would you do me a favor?" "Well, we'd have to know what it is first."

Edited by: allaboutlana on Oct 13, 2011 2:12 PM

OK here goes:

Helen Hayes and Josephine Hull *Harvey* and *Arsenic and Old Lace* ????

Helen Hayes won 2 Oscars, 1932,1971

Ms. Hayes was Veta Louise Simmons in the 1972 TV movie of Harvey
Ms. Hayes was Abby Brewster in the 1969 TV movie Arsenic and Old Lace

Josephine Hull was Veta Louise Simmons in 1950 film *Harvey (won the Oscar)*
Josephine Hull was Abby Brewster in 1944 film *Arsenic and Old Lace*

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Oct 13, 2011 3:28 PM

From early in the present century, a TVM. If you thought highly of the Neil Simon - George Burns - Walter Matthau opus *The Sunshine Boys*, well, the makers of this TVM liked it too. This take on the theme involves a reunion of several screen divas after a revival of their famous 1960s hit movie is re-issued, and again it makes a hit. A reunion performance is contemplated, and it seems to make good sense financially. But there are complications.

Edited by: flashback42 on Oct 18, 2011 10:48 AM

"I would rather get a berium **** on TV than work with that tramp again!"

Down in a matter of minutes. I suppose it's possible that a majority of viewers don't remember getting blow-by-blow-as-it-happened when the Elizabeth Taylor - Eddie Fisher - Debbie Reynolds triangle was daily news. And Carrie Fisher (Reynolds & Fisher's daughter) was one of the scripters. That lady knows how to grind an axe and can swing it with both hands. This story was by way of being a nation-wide inside joke.

FranklinPangborn's thread.

Thanks, I had posted about "The Miracle Worker" on another thread some months ago, so it was an easy one for me. Now, as you may know, actress Susan St, James has been a big supporter of the Special Olympics for handicapped athletes. She even made a TV movie where she played the over-protective mother of a mentally challenged boy. She learns to let go a little when he starts to train for the Special Olympics. Can you name the made for TV movie and the young man with Down Syndrome who played her son?