Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
allaboutlana

TVMovie/Miniseries Trivia

You got it, Lavender. Barbara Hutton's grandfather on her mother's side was F.W.Woolworth. Her father was Franklin Hutton, who co-founded the E.F. Hutton brokerage firm with his brother. E.F. Hutton was married to Marorie Post, the post cereal heiress. Their daughter is actress Dina Merrill. Dina's father didn't want her to be an actress, so she took the name Merrill for spite. Her father's biggest rival was the Merrill Lynch firm. Barbara Hutton was married at one time to Cary Grant. They were known as "Cash And Cary" in Hollywood circles. When Dina Merrill worked with Cary in "Operation Petticoat", it was sort of a family reunion. Good job, Lavender. Now it's your turn.

Thanks Miles. Cary Grant was the only husband that didn't want anything from her, so that Hollywood joke was a bit ironic and unfair to Cary. What's amazing to me is Barbara Hutton, Doris Duke, Christina Onasis all lived their lives so foolishly. I can think of a BILLION ways that they could have lived happy, productive lives. Very sad.

I'm going to pass this round. Thread Is Open.

An early 1960s film was remade as a tv movie in 1976, with an actor who's won two Oscars and an actor/dancer most famous for one legendary role. It also starred an actress who would be the matriarch of a much beloved family show, which started the same year this tv movie was made. (Hint: not The Waltons). It also starred an actress who would multiple Emmys for a groundbreaking show that was yet to come. But the movie was mainly about the two-time Oscar winner. With that information, can you guess the tv movie?

Edited by: allaboutlana on Feb 6, 2012 7:30 PM

Is it "The Entertainer" with Jack Lemmon, Ray Bolger, Sada Thompson (from "Family"), and Tyne Daly? It was a remake of a 1960 movie that starred Sir Laurence Olivier.

Thanks. Made for TV movies often are remakes of theatrical films with TV stars in leading roles. That's the case with this next one. An actor who starred in a popular TV series in the seventies was the star of a TV movie where he played a young soldier who goes off to war. It was not only a remake of a theatrical feature, but the story was adapted from a best selling novel that had been written by an author who was at one time married to a movie star. The TV movie also featured two Oscar winners, a man playing an older soldier and a woman who plays the young soldier's mother. It was the second time she had played his mother in a made for TV movie. Can you name the movie, the young actor, and the two Oscar winners who are featured? Bonus points if you can name the author of the original novel and the author's famous spouse.

Okay lots of info. The TV movie was All Quiet On The Western front 1979 starring Richard Thomas from The Waltons Tv series. Ernest Borgnine played the older soldier and Patricia Neal plays Thomas' mother. (Hence the Oscar winners). The book was written by Erich Maria ReMarque who was married to Paulette Goddard.

You are correct, Stick. Patricia Neal had already played the mother of Richard Thomas in "The Homecoming", which was the pilot film for "The Waltons" TV series. Richard Thomas had previously done a TV version of " The Red Badge Of Courage", which had some similar themes to this movie. Your turn, Stick.

(7,620)

Early in the surveillance, a body turns up. A man who was many stories up is now at street level and very dead. Officials are considering suicide, but the P.I. , based on one fact, is thinking murder.

The P.I. on this case is an alcoholic, currently dry. The man who hired him took a chance. With this actor in this role, both the performer and his audience are on comfortable, familiar ground.

Role Call: Those with roles in this TVM include:

"Feathers"

"Robert Cohen"

"Phillip Marlowe" (well, one of 'em. The two films he made in that persona were remakes.)

Over 200 Views, no bites; retiring the question.

Angie Dickenson, (the wayward wife), had played "Feather" and "Pepper Anderson"

Mel Ferrer, (the suspicious husband). had played "Robert Cohen"

Robert Mitchum had twice portrayed gumshoe Phillip Marlowe in remakes of earlier movies.

The deceased was found on the sidewalk fully dressed, but wearing just one shoe. The Matching shoe was found in the middle of the room he had left, many stories up. The detective surmised he had been dragged across the room and thrown out. The TVM takes this clue for the title -- *One Shoe Makes It Murder* (1982).

Thread open

This veteran actor of tv and films played a police detective in a series of movies during the mid-to-late 1980s and into the 1990s in which he solved some pretty grisly murders. Name the actor and his character's name. For bonus points, as some of you say, name also at least two of the movie titles, and some of his leading actresses in them.

Edited by: allaboutlana on Mar 6, 2012 9:26 AM

Is this a retread series character, similar to Raymond Burr's return as "Ironside" after that series had ended? (He made more return TVMs as Perry Mason, but Mason was not a police detective.}

No, This character was not seen in a previous tv show. I believe the first tv movie made somewhere between 1982 -1985 was based on a book, and the success of that tv movie started the actor to reprise his role several times thereafter, either in new expressly-written-for-tv material or based on other novels by same author. But that point I don't know. But I gather they were written just for tv. And, these were not courtroom dramas at all. They were like the first half of Law and Order; they go out and find the bodies and do the legwork in getting the sleaze. Any help?

This one has me stumped. The only guess I could consider is Brian Dennehy's "Jack Reed" character, with that name part of every title. But all six of those movies came out in the 1990s. Someone else will have to pick up on this one.

'lana, I had no memory of that one; got past me completely. Next up:

Mid-1970s TVM. A crime story built around a young private eye -- a romantic who is wasting a perfectly good degree in accounting. Some usual P.I. cliches, like skinflint client. He accepts a partial payment mailed by a former client, but the check includes the notation "Paid In Full." He's getting stiffed, but he cashes it. Needs the money.

His new client: A woman with amnesia -- a blank in her memory for some 24 hours. Attempts have been made on her life, and she doesn't know why.

The youthful P.I. drives a convertable, dresses casually. To blend in in a suburban neighborhood, he takes a folding bicycle out of the trunk and peddles closer to his goal. "I know I look sixteen, and sometimes I count on it to help me."