Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
allaboutlana

TVMovie/Miniseries Trivia

*Broken Trail* -- 2-episode miniseries. Robert Duval, Thomas Hayden Church. Dir: Walter Hill

???

Edited by: cmvgor on Feb 16, 2011 12:33 AM

Thanks, Sixes. Got one I liked, but haven't seen for a long time. 1980s TVM, (cable, I think). I saw it when VHS rental stores were all over the place. Norish: A private eye is hired to make the client's ex-wife stop harassing him. He meets with the ex; her side is that she wants some jewlery returned to her. She's beauty, by the way.

Night scene: A street troubadour nursing a trash-barrel bonfire entertains the gumshoe and the ex-wife with a very good rendition of "Danny Boy." The ex is photographed quite artistically with a tear poised at the corner of her eye.

...The viewer gets a chance to recall the street balladier later in the story. The lyrics of "Danny Boy" include a passage that goes "...If I am dead, as dead I well may be..." This noir is about to take off on a tangent.

The ex-wife is "ex" by virtue of being dead for the last ten years. The P.I. gets his first inkling of this, explained later, when she will not (can not) enter a church with him. Can't go onto consecrated ground. And she still wants her jewelry.

While explaining the conditions of her --life-- existance to him, she assures him that he can trust her, because creatures like her can not lie. Later, he mentions this to an Orthodox Priest that he has consulted, and the clergyman exclaims, "Can't lie?! My dear friend, lying is what they're all about!" So he has some things to unlearn.

The title seems to refer to a city occupied by a big bat. There's a subtitle which addresses the theme of the story.

The client, by hiring the P.I. and turning the gems over to him, has transferred the haunting to the P.I.

This is the hero's delemma.

With the norish points of elusive prey and a client who conned him, the detective has to get creative. Results: the gems wind up incrusted into a gold goblet, used as an ornament in a cathedreal (i.e. in a consecrated place where the dead can not go). There are legal reasons why the husband can not make a claim on them. The sleuth heads out of town on a vacation with his living friends.

Edited by: cmvgor on Feb 17, 2011 11:30 PM

Role Call:

"Ed Tom Bell" and ""Princess Irulan" have the biggest roles in this film.

I like the idea of this thread, but I don't know if its getting any attention. I haven't kept a Views count. One more clue: An on-line encyclopedia has a detailed history of the ballad used in the film. It adds a list of all the known venues, where it has been recorded or filmed, including the instance when it was sung by a "street bum".

Yea, Sixes! Correct. Turns out I did jot down a Views count (208) but then mislayed it. Some 75 Views or so. *Gotham* does have its moments. Droll, understated humor and best described as *Maltese Falcon* meets *The Sixth Sense* . Can't find it anywhere, even on Amazon. If you run across it, it's worth a viewer's time.

Sixes' thread.

This Big Star from the Golden Era ended her career in Made-for-TV Movies in the late '80's.--Please name the star and at least one of her TV movies.

Bette Davis fits that description. Her filmograpghy lists, between 1980 and 1989, three theatrical releases, one TV series appearence, and ten (count 'em 10) TV movies, the last one being *As Summers Die* . If that's not the answer, could you give more details and hints?

As Finance would say--that's not what I'm thinking of--

but as I then say--it's still the correct answer!

(FYI--my answer was Miss Young)

CMVGOR it's all yours---

Thanks, cujas. I was pretty sure that there would be more than one fitting that description.

Early 1970s TVM. Mystery. Private Detective agency run by a woman. She operates from her home, at her sofa with her cup of tea. She's good at brain work, and she has a canny sidekick, a man who does most of the legwork for her investigations. (Can you say 'Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin'? I thought you could.)

The boss stays in her apartment due to medical issues.

_Visitor:_ "What is it she has, anyway?"

_Harassed butler:_ "It's called hypochondria."

The woman detective is a retired judge. Her leg man is an ex-con. They are adroit at ferreting out information by contacting former defendants who had been before the judge in the past. The movie has the feel of a tentative series pilot that didn't work out.

The ex-judge had a long career; leads in some significent films at mid-century, still going strong, both big screen and TV, at the time of this film. Her younger assiatant sold Vitalis at mid-century, had a teen heartthrob period, did both movie and TV series work, and went on to be seen playing grandfathers. In his prime at the making of this TVM

This 1972 TVM was remade a year later, with a different cast. Further evidence, to this poster at least, that a series was contemplated.

Oh -- the '73 remake had another title also.

Edited by: cmvgor on Feb 27, 2011 9:44 AM

Bingo!, Lavender, at some 40 Views. I got on this thread by naming La Bette, figured I was on a roll and stayed with her name. You're on a roll this morning too. Your thread.

Thanks,cmvgor.

This mini-series was based on a novel and the novel was based on a true story. The author is very well known and has written many books that are based on true life situations, The story is about murder and great wealth. One of the leads is a Best Actress Oscar winner and won an Emmy for her performance in this mini-series.Name the mini-series and the 2 actresses who were the stars. Extra credit for the authors name.