Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
allaboutlana

TVMovie/Miniseries Trivia

(13,290)

Released late in the year, and part of the plot included a Christmas theme. The black actor at the center of the story is a 24-hour fem. He is in full baubles and bangles only in performance. In public or in his apartment, his outfits and makeup are suitable for a large Black woman with good fashion sense, and a budget to support it.

Another tenant of the performer's building is a Black prostitute who has a daughter. This woman is getting an abusive dressing-down from her pimp. The pimp slaps her around some, taking care of business and paying no attention to the other women standing around. Turning away from the hooker, the pimp faces the other women -- and finds himself looking up, at a big guy in drag. The pimp gets his clock cleaned, and he loses one of his earners.

The hooker and her daughter wind up moving in with the drag performer. The hooker has some continuing problems of her own, but a caring and supportive relationship develops for the girl and the drag queen. Beneficial, something close to family.

Stressing the cast-against-type aspect : The star appears most often in action roles. Criminals, cops, undercover cops, Judges, etc. Has done a movie series as the computerwhiz back-up for a team of spies. Works quiet well as a very menacing villain.

The mother has drug-related problems, and she slowly weakens even after her "manager" is out of the picture. Her daughter comes to rely more on the drag performer.

The hooker is played by a Black actress with a solid resume in both supporting and starring performances.

The TVM title is the name of the Drag Queen character.

The mother goes back into drug addiction, and is lost to them.

Possible giveaway: Tagline: A drag queen faces his toughest task -- fatherhood.

Here's one:

In this 1980 tv movie, a two-time Best Actress winner, who is alone and living in a tenement, befriends a young black boy. Name the actress and the tv movie.

The actress won her Oscars for a 1935 film and a 1938 film.

I knew no one had probably never seen it, but I discovered this and wanted to post about it. It would be neat to watch it. There's really no clues to give about the film. I will let this sit for a day or so, and then if no reply, give the answer.

Open thread. This is a rich field of topics and performances, and I would like to see more participation.

Again, open thread.

Thanks, 'lana. Next up:

Mid-1990s. A TVM addressing a developing worldwide problem. A man facing certain death on lingering and suffering terms decides not to endure all that is in store for him, and to shorten the suffering. This means preparations, including dealing with his family and friends.

Title? Any of the performers, in a very good cast?

The man facing death: He is gay, and he was diagnosed HIV-Positive several years previously. He is in a committed relationship, and his companion is supportive. His condition has progressed to a point where there is no hope. He opts to end the situation before the suffering becomes unbearable.

*OOPSIE!*

At over 80 Views, I'm obliged to retire this question because it's in the wrong place. I can not confirm that this was a TVM, although I certainly thought it was. It had a film festival opening, and I don't know how much bigscreen exposure it had, but I thought I had reason to believe it was a TV movie.

1996's *It's My Party* starred Eric Roberts as the financial planner who found that his HIV-positive condition had developed into a disease identified as "PML". That abbreviates a much longer, unpronounceable term. The prospect is for life to linger long after understanding or communication lasts, or even consciousness. He decides not to endure that.

He arranges a gathering of family and friends, old clients, etc, to be together for a farewell party of sorts, so he could say goodbye. They even play the Leslie Gore song of the same title at the party.

One thing memorable about this film is the gathering of talent in support roles. Some real heavyweight names are present in what amount to walk-on bits as he has his final moments with each of them. In a couple of cases, it involves people with whom he has quarreled, and there attempts to part amicably. This gathering of talent of this quality gives the impression that the project had the support of the film community.

I regret that this entry was placed wrongly. It is a worthwhile film.

Open thread.

The granddaughter wants a stake to start a business she's contemplating. Plus -- Her boyfriend is in debt to the Mob, and she wants Grandaddy's help in paying that off, to get the boyfriend out of danger.

The old boxer, in declining health and confined to a wheelchair, sees possiblities in the business, and is willing to support it. As for getting the shylock off the young man's back, he decides to handle it himself.

The old man confronts the moneylender, and pays him only after extracting a pledge there will be no more loans made to the young man.

This TVM was the last performance of a very big star; he came out of retirement to do this one. One of the greatly honored names.

(14,372; just over 145 Views)

The granddaughter goes to her boyfriend and gives him the news. He is not really impressed. He got in debt again; somebody bailed him out again. What else is new? The granddaughter reads these signals correctly. Drops him. She and her grandfather have set the basis for a new relationship.

The star who made this TVM his swan song. -- His resume included drama, comedy, music and dancing. He was effective equally as a hero or as a villain. And very popular.

The TVM's title is the billing-card name of the character.

As mentioned, this star was a dancer, and a good one. One of the reasons for going into retirement was that pain to his legs and feet became too much to bear.