Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TVMovie/Miniseries Trivia

allaboutlana

The leads of this tv miniseries were reunited, for the first time, to talk about their experience as part of a PBS show's look at classic tv and this episode will air, I believe, next week. Name the actor and actress (she was not in the follow-up) and the original miniseries.

Edited by: allaboutlana on Jan 29, 2013 5:15 PM

I do Lana. You know, I posted about this a few months ago. I read that Richard Chamberlain and Rachel Ward met getting off a plane in LA on the way to taping this segment of Pioneers of Television . I love this series. Richard and Rachel said they hadn't seen each other since The Thornbirds . One of my all time favorites. Can't wait until next Tuesday night to watch!

Early 1970s. A TVM on CBS, meant to launch a series. That did not work out, and the star was put into another series later. Opens with a detective in NYC being made to view a film of himself doing an envelope swap on a city street. Looks like a corrupt-cop situation. He reverses it. -- He was under cover, and the maneuver was a ruse that brought down a key criminal. That matter wrapped up, the detective takes his retirement, says his goodbyes, and moves to California, where he has bought an orange orchid. The change of locations lands him in a place where he is still dealing with crime.

The retiree gets acclimated to his new environment; new routine, new people, etc. One of his new acquaintances in an Indian who works as a handyman for the locals. There are a couple of homicides, and this Indian is a suspect. The actor in this role was quite in demand at the time of this filming, and had done a couple of significant series stints.

In the role of the Indian handyman -- This man had a good many Hispanic roles, but was not limited to that. In the era of those Big-Ranch-Empire series, he was in the family that owned a neighboring ranch that had originated as a Spanish Land Grant. He also turned up frequently when someone needed a Zorro.

In the role of the transplanted NYC cop -- When this pilot did not work out as a series, he came back as "Madigan".

It slowly emerges that one of the locals, a bartender, is also a transplanted New Yorker, but he has managed to hide that fact. It slips out in a few conversational points. Slang terms from the Big Apple, etc.

The amiable handyman/suspect, out on his own recognizance while investigation continues, gets word of another development that again focuses suspicion on him. He lays aside the project he's working on and ambles back to the jail without being summoned.

Correct, flash. North and South . Living History groups recreated the Mexican American War battles. 14 re-enactor units from a dozen states took a week off from their regular jobs at their own expense to stage the largest authentic encampment of Mexican War re-enactors ever held. This was also James Stewart's last time in front of a camera. The cast was enormous and included Gene Kelly, Olivia deHavilland, Jean Simmons and Hal Halbrook as Lincoln, Patrick Swayze and Kirstie Alley. I did watch when this was originally aired in 1984 and 1986. Book 1 and 2 are now being shown and I've enjoyed watching this mini-series again very much. I'm hoping Book 3 will also be shown. I recommend this one, all episodes of Book 1 and Book 2 are now being shown on Encore on Demand. Enjoyable break from 31 Days of Oscars!

Thank You flash. It's your thread. :)

Lavender, I also love the North and South mini-series. I've read all three books by John Jakes and loved them as well. I did not realize that there is a Book 3 of this series. Does it use the same stars? Now I have something else to look forward to.

Terrence.

Hi Terrence,

Book 3 Heaven and Hell was originally aired in 1994. I don't want to give it away but two of the most important main stars aren't on for long, (George Hazard is still on) and there's a surprising return of an enemy. Yes, the rest of the main characters and some of the same actors playing those roles are back. I think that Book 3 will probably be shown next. Last Sunday, Encore ran the whole of Book2. the week before they aired Book 1 for a few nights. All episodes of Book 1 & 2 are on On Demand Encore. I'll pm you if Book 3 shows up. I hope you can watch all three. ;)

Thanks, lavender. Next up: Late 1970s miniseries.

A wedding within the ranks of a, uh, a Family. The newlyweds are invaded on their wedding night; the groom is killed. The bride is already pregnent, and her chance for revenge comes a generation later.

(20,557)

Two boys so close together in age they often occupy a buggy together. Actually one is the nephew of the other. School, games, play, they are together through grammer school. Then Family selections take them in different directions. The guiding hand behind these decisions is that of their grandfather.

The marriage mentioned earlier had reached across the lines of a quarrel within the Family. The bride knew one of the ski-masked men who carried out the hit. -- She recognized the tasseled shoes he had worn earlier in the day when he danced quite elegantly at the wedding reception.

Themes: Organized Crime having a presence and influence in show business. Source: A novel by a writer and scripter who had worked with these themes before.

An actress, talented and able, and ready for stardom. She's intimidated and dominated by her aggressive and abusive husband. Without using the exact words, she lets the right people know that her husband will have to be dead for her to be free. He dies.

Archived