Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TVMovie/Miniseries Trivia

Extra Credit for Lana. I love Dominick Dunne's work. *The Two Mrs. Grenvilles* isn't my favorite of all the mini-series based on his novels that have been done, but in honor of Oscar month I thought it was fitting to mention Ms. Colbert. Good work Lana, your thread.

Thanks. While Ms. Colbert is always sensational, The Two Mrs. Grenvilles was on the whole rather disappointing for me, given the fact that Ann-Margret ruined everyone?s lives, including her own. It ended with a whimper and kind of sad, leaving the viewer to think what could have been had she known better and did better with her life.

Here?s a quick one, maybe:

When the tv sequel to Gone with the Wind appeared on tv, Scarlett O?Hara and Rhett Butler were played by these actors.

Thanks, 'lana.

A 1971 TVM. Type of story that has often worked well in theatrical features. 'Gather the team and let's caper'. Unlikely protagonists. Target: an armored-car company.

(411)

Not *Alpha Caper* . Less fun-oriented than such stories sometimes are. Not adventurers taking the wild plunge. -- Men moving past middle age, and less secure than they feel they should be. The main character is especially distressed by the expenses resulting from caring for his sickly father.

They do not plan an armed confrontation with money guards. Their plan is to rob the armored-car company while it is closed. Disable alarms, etc. Also, do it on a holiday that gives them a long weekend, for the extra time.

Things go as planned, but then some things go wrong. Turns out the banks and the businesses that use the armored-car firm's services routinely do _not_ leave large sums suspended in transit over a long weekend. There is some money there, but nothing like what they expected, nothing like what they need. And a mistake was made that means the police will soon figure out who was involved. The lead character knows that he will go to prison, and his ill father will become a welfare case. Not one of the lighthearted capers.

Role call:

"Sgt. Larry Barrett" was one of the gang, and he had capered more happily, if not more profitably in another film.

"Joy Boy" was the principal planner, and the one with the sickly father.

Correct again, and your thread again. This was a downbeat story, compared to some in the genre. Contrast Peter Lawford's demenior in this story with his upbeat performance in the orighional *Ocean's Eleven* . And Peter Falk's character won sympathy, but did not win his father's secure financial safety. The Premium Channels are unlikely to pick it up; I just hope that Lifetime or LMN will discover it and run it occasionally.

Edited by: cmvgor on Mar 5, 2011 6:37 PM

cmvgor, since a week's gone by and you haven't add one, do you mind if I do? If I'm out of line, let me know.

It was a TV movie before it was remade for the big screen. Of the three main characters only one is the same in both versions. Hint: the theatre version won an Oscar for Best Original Song.

Give me a break, Lana! ;) We've been watching the same shows and reading the same books for the last 25 years!!!!!! Yes, *An Inconvient Woman* . LOVED this mini-series and another fun Dominick Dunne book. Betsy and Alfred Bloomingdale, with a hint of Nancy Reagan thrown in, Jason Robards and BEAUTIFUL Rebecca DeMornay. When will this be re-run? Great job, your thread.