Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
allaboutlana

TVMovie/Miniseries Trivia

That really was a wild guess, given the clues.

Next: A married couple move into an old-timey mansion and in the attic there?s a dress, that when she wears it, she goes back in time. Name the actress and the movie.

Whew!

I used up some time researching that nosetwitcher witch and that levitating nun.

Bionic Lindsay Wagner was the star of *The Two Worlds of Jeannie Logan*

???

Thanks, 'lana.

A miniseries from the 1980s: a satire of the Prime-time soap operas that were popular about that time. A central family running a business that they had owned for generations.

Could it be "*Fresno*" with Carol Burnett as the matriarch of a raisin raising family? Isn't it strange that the word "raise" means "to elevate to a higher position", and the word "raze" means "to knock down to the ground"?

Yep. also pretty funny that the Spanish explorer spit out the fruit he tasted, and exclamed, "These grapes taste like fresno!" Thus naming the place.

On the IMDb site of the miniseries (6 hrs), a number of reviewers mourned that no tape or DVD has ever been made. I would like to see it again, too.

Miles' thread.

Thanks. In the sixties, NBC advertised a movie as television's first "world premiere" of a " major motion picture". In reality, it was probably the first made for TV movie, and it served as the pilot film for a TV series with a similar name. Can you name the movie and the TV series that it spawned?

Working from memory only, without checking anything: *Fame Is The Name Of The Game* ??

The series: *The Name Of The Game* ??

Yes, and the movie starred Tony Franciosa. In the TV series, he rotated starring with Gene Barry and Robert Stack. Susan St. James was in both the movie and TV series. They worked for a then fictional magazine called "People". Good job, Flashback. Your turn now.

Thanks, Miles. I remembered the commentary at the time of The TVM, and that, in the series, I mostly was interested in the Gene Barry episodes. Next up:

Mid-1970s, Saturday prime time: One of the networks (not the one with the great lineup of sitcoms) tried counterprogramming three hours with two 90-minute TVMs. I believe a part of the plan was to sell them abroad as theatrical releases. One that I saw was worth remembering. With the 90 min runtime, minus ads, it did a bang-up job with a 40s-type noir. Former cop turned P.I, theft of some valuable jewelry, friction with the police during the investigation. The time setting was the 1940s. Phillip Marlowe, Sam Spade and Lew Archer all handled cases like this in their day.

What impressed me and made me remember this TVM was the star. He is a stalwart character actor with a stage background, plus a list of more than 180 film and TV credits. Villains, coaches, cops, judges, western goodguys, western badguys, he's appeared in all these roles, sometimes quite briefly. His site on IMDb has a number of fan comments, showing that others beside me are impressed with his work. AND, to the best of my knowledge and belief, the TVM idescribed above is his one-and-only top billing, his one-and-only star gig. If someone finds out differently, I would like to be informed of it.

TVM? Star?

(606)

The star of this TVM has a mention in IMDb's sidebar "250 Most Underrated Actors (Great Character Actors).

More noir. One fact that comes out in the investigation is that a beautiful actress (Los Angeles is the setting) is from a Negro family, but is passing for white. Dashiell Hammett, Ross McDonald and Raymond Chandler have all used touches like this in their plots.

The star of this TVM was a title character in one of the "Magnificant Seven" sequils. Later, he was an apponant in an episode of the Mag7 TV series.

This actor, in another film, was killed by a rabid St. Bernard. In a football-in-prison story that was filmed twice, he worked in both versions.

Well, Burt Reynolds was one of two men who were in both versions of *The Longest Yard.* This guy was the other one. He was also the husband/father in the family that owned Cujo.

???

Close enough. Ed Lauter is the prolific actor and one-time star who had the lead in the TVM noir *Last Hours Before Morning* (1975). As I mentioned, seems to be his only star gig. He can also be seen in *Leaving Las Vegas*, with no lines and a cast listing something like "Thug # 3" among the collectors tracking down Julian Sands. Seems to work constantly, but has never been big.

97 Views.

'lana's thread.

The movie actress was paired with Dana Andrews several times in movies, and the tv actress has been mentioned before on this thread on more than one occasion.

At least I know now, as I suspected, that I never saw either one. I searched both Theater and TV for films with "honeymoon" in the title. *Dangerous Crossing* (1953), remade as *Tretcherous Crossing* (1992). Without the last clue, I would still be looking.

Thanks, 'lana. Next up:

TVM, late 1970s. Frustrated cops go rogue and try to correct "mistakes" made by the court system. NYC setting.