Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
allaboutlana

TVMovie/Miniseries Trivia

trying again (1077)

Mid-1980s TVM. Monumental star, in a cast that includes some who had worked with her from her youth. An actress, recovering from a stay in asylum, trying to get work again and trying to re-establish her relationship with her teenage son. Gets acquainted with a new man -- introduced at the racetrack. The man and her son easily make friends.

The source novel behind this story is partly autobiographal. There is an earlier treatment in a stage piece. The son, narrator of the novel, became a producer of some note. The actress in the lead is recently deceased.

Correct, Lavender. Novelist/Scripter James Kirkwood, Jr. actually lived this story (the Chad Lowe role), and was the one who found his mother's body. Myrna Loy was the star in an earlier stage version of the story. Co-star Robert Wagner produced. When this TVM first aired, I was halfway through it when I realized I knew this plot, having read the novel some years before. What tipped me off: the system the boy and the man worked out for leaving notes to each other in the hollowed-out newel post on his mother's staircase.

lavenderblue's thread.

His parents are fighting for custody of their son's little girl.His mother knew the young woman he married while in the Marines was up to no good. She is desperate to get her granddaughter away from the woman. She knows that his widow had her son killed for his insurance and military pension.

This is an early 90's, 2 part made for TV movie. The actress playing the role of the mother is an Oscar winning actress, the actor portraying the father is a multiple Emmy, Golden Globe winner and was the lead in a very successful long running TV series.

C'mon guys, this thread is pettering out. If you guys are interested in keeping this thread going, let's have some responses.

This is a southern family. The determined mother, gets the government involved in the investigation. Remember, this is based on a true story.

The parents hire a PI, he reports that their granddaughter is living with the woman and a dangerous man and that the child is neglected and probably abused.

It sounds like "Fatal Vision" which reunited "On The Waterfront" stars Karl Malden and Eva Marie Saint as the parents. The way I remember the story, it was their daughter who was killed by the son-in-law. He was a marine and they had to fight the military justice system to get him prosecuted.

I thought of Fatal Vision, too, but as I have not seen it and only knew of it, I wasn't sure of all the details and also it was not mentioned that the lead actor was an Oscar winner (as Karl Malden was), but a "multiple Emmy, Golden Globe winner."

Thanks, but not Fatal Vsion, and I wrote the actress won an Oscar. The actor playing the husband/father/grandfather is the multiple emmy etc. winner and played the lead on a very long running, successful TV show- NBC btw.

Here's an extra clue for the guess

They receive custody, then the mother (The slain sons wife) comes back with her dangerous boyfriend and kidnaps the grand daughter.

The wife did have the young man murdered and has left the state with the little girl. Originally the courts had granted her custody with the condition she not leave her home state. The grandmother has sent MISSING flyers all over the country including shelters for woman and children. The dangerous boyfriend forces her and the little girl to leave the state then abandons them on a deserted road. Picked up by the police, they are taken to a shelter for woman and children.

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Apr 7, 2011 12:08 PM

That's as far as I'm going with the telling of this tale. I don't want to spoil the rest of the story, obviously none of you watched this one.

The Oscar winning actress won her Oscar as a child in a support role. The male star with the long running tv show played the role of a man who held the highest office in the USA.

You're right. I don't think I ever watched it. It's got to be "A Matter Of Justice" with Patty Duke and Martin Sheen. The last clues made it easy to find.

A Matter of Justice is the one. Patty Duke and Martin Sheen, I can't be on site all that much for the next while, so I needed to wrap it up, so please forgive that obvious last clue. If you guys get a chance to watch this one and you're in the mood for this sort of thing, it's was a well acted interesting story. Miles, please don't pass on the thread, let's try to keep it going. Thanks for taking the time to find it. Miles, your thread.

It took a long time to get onto the boards today, but here goes.

Patty Duke once lost a role in a theatrical movie to another actress who was considered "hot" at the time. The movie was very successful. Some years later a sequel was made as a TV movie and Patty Duke finally got to play the part. One of the cast members in the original movie won an Oscar for the film role and reprised that role in the TV movie. The other major characters from the original film were played by other people in the TV sequel. Can you name the TV movie?

Yes, I guess that was too easy. Ruth Gordon, who had won the supporting actress Oscar for the original movie, again played Minnie Castavet, but the part of Guy Woodhouse was played by George Maharis, and Ray Milland played Roman Castavet. Your turn, Mr. Sixes.

Thanks, Sixes. Trying another, that I think should be easy.

Late 1970s, 8-hour miniseries, done in four 2-hour episodes. Fact-based. Political background.

Not *Elinor And Franklin* . Covered events of the early 1970s.

snappy quick blackout to one of the eposodes :

":..and there's another thing I'm worried about."

"What's that?"

"Can they get fingerprints off of hundred-dollar-bills?"

(1,283)

Sourced from two books. -- One was written by a central character (same title as the miniseries) and the other written by his wife -- whom he married in the course of the events portrayed. _Several_ point-of-view books were written by various people after these events.