Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
allaboutlana

TVMovie/Miniseries Trivia

Four days and 73 Views. Nothing left to work with. The Watergate break-in story and its aftermath, entitled *Blind Ambition* from John Dean's book of the same name, with additional material from Maurine Dean's autobiography, Mo . Also material taken verbatum from trial transcripts, and one scene taken directly from the Oval Office tapes. One of it's charms: Rip Torn as the best screen Nixon ever. Perhaps most of our posters are the wrong generation.

At this point in time, the thread is open.

I'll try this:

This actor and actress, who portrayed newlyweds in one movie (1943) and its sequel (1946), starred in this 1978 tv movie based on a famous novel, which also starred a Best Actress Oscar winner. Name the 1978 tv movie and the three stars.

Edited by: allaboutlana on Apr 14, 2011 10:55 AM

One more piece of info please. -- As to setting: Wartime? Western? Crime & solution? Generational soap opera? Political?

Edited by: flashback42 on Apr 15, 2011 10:31 AM

I've got to be away from the computer, so I'll finish this at a later time. Take it, flash.

Edited by: allaboutlana on Apr 15, 2011 5:21 PM

> {quote:title=allaboutlana wrote:}{quote}

> I've got to be away from the computer, so I'll finish this at a later time. Take it, flash.

>

> Edited by: allaboutlana on Apr 15, 2011 5:21 PM

As far as I can tell, 'lana's entry is not *Since You Went Away* , nor is it *The More The Merrier* .

I'll just hold a finger between the pages until she gets back. Substitute entry:

1990s. Fact-based. A woman with social ambitions is unhappy with her daughter's choice of a beau. Acts in such a way as to push the daughter into marrying the man (daughter, before the push, was just going to move in with him). The marrage is working, a grandson is born, and the Woman has had enough. She decides to have the son-in-law killed.

The vinomous mother finds an ex-con that she approaches, trying to hire him as a hit man. He goes to the police. It becomes sort of a police procedural, like unto the positively true adventures of the alleged Texas cheerleader-murdering mom.

This one ran on LMN just last night.

The "hitman" introduced to her by the ex-con is actually a Deputy Sheriff. (Not mentioned in the movie treatment, but in the actual Florida case, she also wanted the other mother-in-law to get a facefull of acid.)

'lana, I traced the answer down last evening, but decided to wait overnight to post it, thinking maybe someone else would also find the answer. I have a somewhat strange history with that story, I guess. I read the novel twice (and Little Men once) before reaching high school age. And to the best of memory I have _never_ sat through any of the film versions. Anyway, next up:

Late 1980s TVM, a "years later" story following up on a 50s - 60s sitcom. Highschoolers from the series are now adults, dealing with serious issues of family, ecomonic problems, etc. Many of the origional sticom cast are back for the new story.

Not *Still The Bever* , and not the launching of a new series. A one-shot TVM.

Both the series and the TVM make use of a character's name in the titles. A character from the series (played by a different actress) returns to the town seeking vengeance. She's angry that the title-name character married someone other than her. Now wealthy, dealing with a town in recession, she promises a lot of money to the citizens if they will kill this man. Her advance agent for this offer is also a returnee from the series. Same actor as in the series, but the character much changed.

The title of this TVM is a Peckinpah tribute.

The character under threat now owns and runs the store that his father owned in the series. The advance man for the rich lady is a dynamic and focused functionary -- a man who gets things done. In the series, as a teenager, he was bearded, casually dressed, and spaced out. He could easily, at that time, stand in for a "beatnik" to folks who had never seen one.

The series, with its timing, was a training ground for teen performers whose careers got bigger in the following years. The title character was constantly in pursuit of covergirl-looking hotties, and was in turn pursued by a girl less conventionally attractive. This woman, same actress, is his wife in the TVM. He also narrated, talking directly to the audience in a park, seated near a copy of Rodin's statue, "The Thinker."

A film discussed on another thread also used the theme of a merchant whose death could bring riches to his neighbors. This TVM both mocks and duplicates that plot. And, as mentioned, it has a Peckinpah-tribute title.

On the money, Sixes. The transformation of "Maynard G. Krebs" (Bob Denver) from Beatnik buddy in *The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis* to hustling dynamo in the TVM was one of the delights of this grim farce. As in the origional ( *The Visit* ), Dobie's friends did seriously consider offing him for money.

Sixes' thread.

(1,580)

Trying something else here; a twofer. Something like unto that Lolita on Long Island who had a movie on each of three networks, this one is a twice told story. One actual murder case, two drifferent books were written by competent writers, and each one was filmed. One as a TVM, the other as a 2-night miniseries. Similar views of the same set of facts. Fact-based, they both used the names of the actual people involved. Both were aired in the late 1980s, in the same year.

To maybe give away the whole thing on the first clue: A murder is committed in order to gain control of an inheritance. It resulted in the largest will ever probated in the State of Utah.

Either or both of the two titles?

The victim's daughter commanded one of her sons to kill the businessman. He traveled from her apartment in NYC to his grandfather's home in Utah to do the deed. She threatened to withdraw her love and to drive him out of her home otherwise.

The man's widow inherited the fortune, but she, too, was easily dominated by her daughter.

One of the source books on this case, was written by a former *60 Minutes* personality.