Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
classicsstarlets

MAY SCHEDULE IS UP!!!

I am being honest when I write this, but it was not a reference to you. I should've replied to myself. But I did not think that Hollywood was your last name or even part of your real name?

I am sure worse, more grievous errors have been made on these boards. Probably by me. :)

*"But I did not think that Hollywood was your last name or even part of your real name?"* - MMF

But just yesterday, in a now deleted post from you, you referred to me as "Kyle In Cyberwood".

Wanna try again?

Kyle In Hollywood

*But I did not think that Hollywood was your last name or even part of your real name?*

It's been part of his moniker since he joined these message boards over five years ago.

And for the record, no believes that "Films" is part of your real name, nor is Cutter part of mine so why should Hollywood be part of his?

Edited by: lzcutter

Careful or you'll be given the scarlett "A" (for apologist) too.

:D Nice twist. Hey, I'm fully aware that not everything on the schedule is going to be to my liking. In fact, I know the majority won't be my speed. But I'm not about to whine about it. TCM is a very unique channel in today's world. To get upset over one film being shown or ten films being shown or thousands not being shown doesn't compare to all the rest that is being shown.

Some people just aren't happy unless they are complaining. Even if what they are complaining about is a very good thing... and they know it. It's just never good enough.

And does your "noir" interest include Mike Hammer too? I don't think Kiss Me Deadly has been seen for quite awhile.

Unlike Scarlet Street, Kiss Me Deadly did air on TCM last year. I believe it aired four times. And, yes, Kiss Me Deadly is a big-time film noir. I actually watched it for the first time last year. I loved it. I do like the "Mike Hammer" theme in May. That's a good one.

Films I am looking forward to seeing:

*Gold Diggers of 1935*, *Pennies From Heaven* and *Going Hollywood* because I am reading Dancing in the Dark: A Cultural History of the Depression and these films get a great deal of ink.

*Wild Orchids*

A salute to Bing Crosby and the return of *Movie Stars and Moguls*.

*The World Changes* with Aline McMahon. Would be great if she had a SUTS day soon.

*Sporting Blood* with Clark Gable. I missed it the last time it was on.

*Big Boy* with Al Jolson, early Jolson. Always a welcome sight.

A Friday day of Silents including *Moran of the Lady Letty* and other Valentino classics plus a John Ford early talkie: *Flesh*.

More *Buck Rogers* with Buddy doing the heavy lifting while Buck gets all the credit.

Early *Stella Dallas* and *Madame X*

A birthday salute to Kate Hepburn.

A salute to Las Vegas!

*Tugboat Annie* and *The Flame Within*

First *Frankenstein* escaped the vault in April and now *The Wolf Man* has.

A salute to Simone Simon.

*Wild Boys of the Road* and *Doorway to Hell*.

A birthday salute to John Wayne.

And the annual Memorial Day salute.

I've seen Trouble The Water. There is some amazing footage of the Katrina flooding as its actually happening. Basically one family's experience with the flood and its aftermath. It was nominated for an Oscar. Far better than TCM's synopsis suggests. But I know the general feeling 'round here about post-70s films, so I'll shut up. :)

I know one thing...I'd rather watch that than Tati's Playtime. Bless his heart...I have tried to sit through it twice...maybe it works better in 70mm in a theater. On TV it is deadly. It does take some admittedly funny swipes at American tourists though.

*I've seen Trouble The Water. There is some amazing footage of the Katrina flooding as its actually happening. Basically one family's experience with the flood and its aftermath. It was nominated for an Oscar.*

It's the story of how an African-American couple cope with Hurricane Katrina and the loss of the life they knew before they lost that life in the flooding in the aftermath of Katrina.

I hope aretha will be able to watch.

It looks like a evening of self-financed films and I think it may be a theme throughout the month. (In addition to the Horse Racing theme.)

*"I have tried to sit through {Playtime} twice...maybe it works better in 70mm in a theater. On TV it is deadly."* - ChorusGirl

I saw it in 70mm at the Egyptian Theater here in Hollywood last spring during the first TCM Classic Film Festival. It was a revelation. There is no way to truly appreciate the film on television. There is too much going on in the foreground or background near the edges of the frame that one won't catch. That film needs to seen on a screen four stories tall. It is the only way these things become truly "visible" to the audience. (But the apartment window sequence is still overly long - even in the theater.)

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=ChorusGirl wrote:}{quote}

> I've seen Trouble The Water. There is some amazing footage of the Katrina flooding as its actually > happening. Basically one family's experience with the flood and its aftermath.

I?ve seen dozens of films like this, plus I saw it live on CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News, plus I saw documentaries about it on all the free broadcast networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, FOX, ETC.), plus other documentaries on The History Channel, National Geo, and many follow-up documentaries on many channels over the past several years, including the free broadcast channels. Some channels show a documentary about Katrina every anniversary. This documentary shouldn?t be on TCM. It has already been on PBS and HBO.

Hey, how about showing us ?The Story of Temple Drake? on TCM?

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> I hope aretha will be able to watch.

That?s an insult to aretha.

Fred,

It may not be your type of film but I think we should all let aretha decide for herself.

As for *Temple Drake*, broadcast rights are different from screening rights. That's why TCM could screen it at the Film Festival but why it hasn't been on the channel yet. The broadcast rights issues surrounding it are still the problem.

As soon as TCM gets the broadcast rights cleared up, I think we will all be able to watch *Temple Drake*.

> Fred,

>

> It may not be your type of film but I think we should all let aretha decide for herself.

>

You?ve already decided for her.

She wants to see ?Eve?s Bayou?.

She never requested to see a documentary about Hurricane Katrina.

*Welcome to HBO re-runs on TCM.*

And classic era films have been on HBO, Showtime and the Encore channels as well as TCM. This one is no different.

Many films today are shot digitally. Especially if they are self-financed because it is cheaper. Much like shooting on 16 was back in our day instead of 35mm.

Again, I know you don't like modern films on TCM. These films are running as a tribute to self-financed films.

Perhaps it is time to let the thread get back on track?

>

> Many films today are shot digitally.

Today?

Many films today?

They aren't "films", they are "videos".

We aren't here to see "today's videos". We are paying for TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES, not HBO video re-runs of today.

> They haven't done women or the disabled yet. I recommend waiting till June to see what is on the schedule.

I hope they don't do disabled women. I don't want to see *Boxing Helena* again. :)

They horse around too much for me in May, but that's the theme, so I'll live with it.

They do have some good noirs, which always makes me happy.

I'm glad to see they're rerunning *Confessions of a Nazi Spy*, because I managed to miss it the first time.

There's one Japanese film I haven't seen, that's good.

And Fred, I bet you'd like *Gates of Heaven*. It's really funny, and shows just how silly modern life can be.

I notice they are having repeated showings of something made in 2011! It's called Now Playing May. The nerve of TCM!

> They haven't done women

They do women every day. Women are in every movie. Women aren't minorities, they are 52% of the population.

And we men all keep begging for more films with dames in them.

Mikio Naruse! A great May birthday present for me!

Then there's Ingmar Bergman, rare John Ford, Max Ophuls (this is actually Le Plaisir by the way), Lang, Sirk, Mann, Andzrej Wajda, and many silents I haven't seen.

Thank you TCM!

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> And does your "noir" interest include Mike Hammer too? I don't think Kiss Me Deadly has been seen for quite awhile.

>

> Unlike Scarlet Street, Kiss Me Deadly did air on TCM last year. I believe it aired four times. And, yes, Kiss Me Deadly is a big-time film noir. I actually watched it for the first time last year. I loved it. I do like the "Mike Hammer" theme in May. That's a good one.

Kiss Me Deadly has aired on TCM many times over the years, but what about My Gun Is Quick? Will that be a TCM premiere? I did manage to record a copy of it off Encore Mystery in 2009. I'd like to see TCM dust off and air the other two Parklane Pictures titles, I, the Jury (1953) and The Long Wait.

>>It looks like horseys are getting a major spotlight.

The first two legs of the Triple Crown are in May, so it's a timely theme.

I'm not going to comment directly on "Trouble The Water" since I frankly don't know much about it other than its Katrina-related theme, but if self-financed films are indeed the topic it is a part of, why couldn't TCM show Robert Townsend's famed "Hollywood Shuffle" from the late eighties, with its comedic discussion of black roles in films?

Oh, and Fred, if TCM shouldn't show films about Katrina because documentaries are available, should we go along the slippery slope and eliminate all World War II films from TCM's schedule because the real stuff can be found on the History Channel and the Military Channel?

Since April's schedule just came out a week or so ago, I wasn't expecting to see May's so soon. Not everything was to my liking, but I don't expect or need it to be.