Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
classicsstarlets

MAY SCHEDULE IS UP!!!

"First, I do not think a lot of fans are clamoring for a month of Esther Williams. That is another safe choice, and they should be stepping a bit outside the box and choosing talent that has a little more dramatic dimension."

The network offers something for everyone...I've already shared the news with two people who are absolutely thrilled about the choice.

Thank you Movie Fan Laura. Now personally as I said before I am not thrilled with Esther Williams but I by no means think that my views represent the average TCM viewer. They are just my personal views. People who like Esther Williams will be able to enjoy her and I will enjoy TCM on other days.

There are a lot of possible choices for SOTM. We can't all be pleased by all of them (and I am already happy with March & April).

> {quote:title=VP19 wrote:}{quote}

>

> Oh, and Fred, if TCM shouldn't show films about Katrina because documentaries are available, should we go along the slippery slope and eliminate all World War II films from TCM's schedule because the real stuff can be found on the History Channel and the Military Channel?

The History Channel generally doesn?t show WW II dramas made in the 1940s and ?50s. Have you seen any John Wayne war films on the History Channel? How about ?Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo??

Regarding the Katrina documentary, how about showing ?The Hurricane? (1937) in place of it? Or maybe ?Steamboat Bill, Jr.? (1928). How about ?Slattery's Hurricane? (1949) with Richard Widmark, Linda Darnell, Veronica Lake, and Gary Merrill? How about ?Typhoon? (1940) with Dorothy Lamour and Robert Preston? ?The Mystery of the Marie Celeste? (1935) with Bela Lugosi and Shirley Grey? ?The Johnstown Flood? (1926) with George O?Brien, Janet Gaynor, Gary Cooper, Clark Gable, and Carole Lombard?

Hey, when do we get ?The Sopranos? on TCM? How about ?Ice Road Truckers?? Can?t wait!

"There are a lot of possible choices for SOTM. We can't all be pleased by all of them (and I am already happy with March & April)."

Exactly right. I had zero interest in January's SOTM, and on the other hand I'm absolutely thrilled with April!! I assume that each one of the stars chosen has a following who will enjoy the month.

I have no problem with Esther Williams...and I'm sure by May I'll be in the mood for a poolside musical.

But Williams has had a lot of mileage at TCM over the years, and nearly all her movies are but a click away on netflix.

Would love to see someone who has fallen off the radar (well, not off MY radar)......Joan Blondell (all those great pre-codes), Eleanor Powell, even W. C. Fields or Donald O'Connor (will we ever see his 1940s Universal musicals?)

Shock us one month and don't do a SOTM...make it a month devoted to Technicolor or Cinemascope or B-Movies. If TCM wants to get more viewers, those kinds of month-long festivals would likely get some PR in the press.

I've had time to start delving into the calendar, and I'm *thrilled* about TRADE WINDS being on! I've wanted to see that for a long time.

I'm also happy to be able to cross LYDIA with Joseph Cotten and Merle Oberon off the list of films I'm looking for.

Esther is one of my faves :x but I do understand why some of you are frustrated because many of her films are on DVD and she is from MGM, which is very easy to air.

MGM, Warner Bros. and RKO stars will continue to be SOTM until other studios' films become more readily available (I refer specifically to Universal & Paramount).

Just heard from a new Esther fan at my blog who's delighted. And that's really the point...I'm certain there are those who won't be tuning in to her movies, just as I didn't watch a single Peter Sellers film last month, but to opine that there aren't many people excited to see her as SOTM may have been more a reflection of personal taste than an accurate assessment of the interest of other viewers.

TCM shows Esther a lot. Peter Sellers hasn't had such routine coverage in the past. I was delighted to see all the Sellers films. I'm not an Ester fan, but I don't begrudge her fans seeing her films on TCM.

> {quote:title=MovieMadness wrote:}{quote}

> They should have had a Macho May, something with tough guys for the month.

I want Franklin Pangborn Day.

*I know several who are not thrilled with the choice.*

And as others have pointed out, at least several are which is the whole point. Some months I don't watch a single film of the SOTM...didn't January for Peter Sellers. Some months, I watch a lot. That's kind of the beauty of the thing to me. Esther Williams wouldn't be my choice for SOTM, but I'm glad people who love her will get to enjoy her.

> {quote:title=MyFavoriteFilms wrote:}{quote} Our message board posters do a better job with their programming challenges...

That's because they're dealing with a fantasy schedule and can program just about anything they want to. They don't have to consider the reality of film availability or programming budgets like TCM's programmers do.